Nvidia to release final Game Ready driver on August 31st for Windows 7/8.x

tyl0413

I quit bying Nvidia in early 2014 (when they removed CSAA for no reason). And I was a loyal customer for 20 years and bought only the top of the line. Folks need to learn how to use their purchasing power.

It's also over for Windows 8 & Windows 8.1.  But this is not that big of deal.  It's not like my Nvidia driver will stop working on October 2021.  I'm not a gamer; I selected a GeForce GT 1030 for its low power consumption.

I mean - why is it any more stupid then any other OS they've dropped support for? XP wasn't supported for much further past its EOS...
And, at this point, most hardware already has stopped support for 7, usually long ago thanks to microsofts meddling in 2017/18.
Vista was more or less lumped into XPs EOS for nvdia as it had not much market share. Windows 8 is the vista here.

I see nothing going on with this that doesn't make sense.

So RTX 3XXX will likely be last to run under Windows 7. If I ever upgrade to newer (doubt will even go to rtx 3xxx) it is time for linux. And if going linux Nvidia drivers are pure garbage, you need choose either better performance but lot of bugs, crashes etc or stable but poor performance so will go to AMD that never had crash on my systems under linux

16 hours ago, i430VX said:

I mean - why is it any more stupid then any other OS they've dropped support for? XP wasn't supported for much further past its EOS...
And, at this point, most hardware already has stopped support for 7, usually long ago thanks to microsofts meddling in 2017/18.

It is not stupid, it is called "good" business practises. Planned obsolence is best way get users consume more

Microsoft got enough power to do it, sometimes even artificially. Example being intel kaby lake integrated graphic cards worked under Windows 7 with adding single line to driver file. and it keeps that going as long as peoples are willing to accept anti competitive practises and consumer harm (forever). Microsoft monopoly keeps groving while nobody is willing to actually aknowledge it. All normal user can do is try to choose not to use it but over time it gets harder and harder since companies actively try prevent it.

16 hours ago, i430VX said:

Vista was more or less lumped into XPs EOS for nvdia as it had not much market share. Windows 8 is the vista here.

Windows vista was closer to Windows 7 but got xp treatment. Same applies to Windows 8x which kernel is close to Windows 10 but Microsoft does not want leave you options. Microsoft want everyone use latest Microsoft browser, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows server, Microsoft Proxy Server, Microsoft Office etc. And companies and others changing away is not option since system must be compatible with other companies and some documents and spreadsheets created on latest M$ office wont work properly on libre or other third party software.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 11:38 AM, Tonny52 said:

Always thought this day was far from now.

Farewell. We will have to see what AMD does now.

AMD has already dropped Win7/8.x support starting with the 21.6.1 radeon driver released in late June 2021.
last AMD Radeon graphics driver to support Win7/8.x is 21.5.2.

https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-2161-driver-drops-support-for-windows-7881-and-pre-polaris-gpus/

so AMD has already abandoned support earlier than what nVidia has planned to do