Cygwin and Windows NT 4.0

Personally, if there is not a suitable "pure" Windows tool that does what I need, I try to find MSYS[1] MinGW ports from Linux, because even the basic Cygwin .dll's are way too large for my (again, personal) tastes.

jaclaz

[1] Corrected, thought "MinGW" and wrote "MSYS" :w00t:

Edited by jaclaz

Naah, they are not that bad, the whole point is (was) that if you "adopt" the whole Cygwin as if it was an added subsystem, while still senselessly bloated, the bloat is compensated by the amount of tools you have at your disposal (of which a normal user will actually use/need 3% to 7% anyway) but if you just want to run a single, simple tool (or a handful of them), you can't have them in a simple, straightforward way and in any case you will need to download/install a number of bloated .dll's.

The point of the mentioned post was however more on the latter aspect, the difficulty any normal user will have in finding and installing the tools (if he she doesn't want the "whole, bloated, pack").

jaclaz

Gotcha! Users of older operating systems (Windows 95 OSR2 to Windows 2000) who want to install FontForge can always use this forum post for help. :)

Oh hear, I'm tired and I'm headed for bed. ^_^

On 6/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, jaclaz said:

Personally, if there is not a suitable "pure" Windows tool that does what I need, I try to find MSYS ports from Linux, because even the basic Cygwin .dll's are way too large for my (again, personal) tastes.

jaclaz

MSYS(not MSYS2) is actually a fork of cygwin-1.5

MSYS2 is actually a fork of cygwin-1.7+

so it doesn't make a huge difference here.

if your POSIX-style program uses fork(), you have to use cygwin-alike solution(s).

• 8 months later...

So, at the end, which Cygwin version was the lastest to support NT 4.0? I've found an NT 4.0 original disk and want to try it out.

Also, is there documentation regarding which was the lastest version for each Windows OS?

Cheers.