How can I find drivers for a downgraded copy of windows 8.1?

Icepick

13 hours ago, jaclaz said:

It is hard to say.

The PTP driver has the 1200 id, according to the given page, and having a quick look at the AsusPTPfilter.inf

the actual ID in it is 

%ASUS_INPUT_DEVICE.DeviceDesc%=AsusPTP_Inst, HID\ELAN1200&Col02                        ;ELAN PTP 15'

so it should "take".

But I don't know if that id refers to  PS/2 or an I2C bus, if the latter, having a valid driver for the I2C is probably a prerequisite, and as well it is possible that some parts of the (stupid) installer are "strictly" Windows 10 and don't work/run in 8.1.

From the ASUS official page, it seems like they do support officially Windows 8 and 8.1:

https://asussupportdriver.com/asus-vivobook-x541ua-driver-download-2/

and since they seem to support also Windows 7, then your touchpad must be not I2C (but rather PS/2)

I am confused, you started this thread about not finding on Asus sites appropriate drivers, but they seem to be there for the x541ua model :unsure:

jaclaz

No, I am trying to install windows 8.1 on my asus x541ua model but asus just support windows 10 so yeah, i have to ask for advice on the msfn forum.

After a reboot, my touchpad suddenly works! WTF, I reboot like 20 times before and now it suddenly works, thanks you dixel and jaclaz for helping me along the way.

All is well that ends well :).

Can you post the exact driver that worked for you? (it may be useful to some other member having your same issue).

I am removing from my last post the link to the page that tricked me :w00t: :blushing:..

jaclaz

Well, i don't know, perhaps the io drivers that you send me works and uninstall any touchpad driver you have installed. Perhaps people should also install driver talent, that helps me to find the right driver too. 

If you right click on the device in device manager and check "properties" (or *whatever*) of the driver you should be able to find out which exact version it is.

Or find the AsusPTPfilter.sys on your system and look at its version.

I had a quick look, and - strangely enough - the .inf file begins with:

;============================================================================ 
; Installation file (.inf) for Windows 8.
;
; Copyright (c) ASUS Tek
;============================================================================

[Version]
Signature   = "$Windows NT$"
Class        = HIDClass
ClassGuid    = {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da};HIDClassGuid
Provider    = %VenderName%
DriverVer = 11/30/2018,11.0.0.29
CatalogFile = AsusPTPFilter.cat

BUT the .sys has version 11.0.0.25.

So - maybe - the driver is a 8/8.1 that works also on 10 and "marked" as "10 only" (as a matter of fact in the .sys optional header, as seen with CFF explore the MajorOperatingSystemVersion is set to 0x0A, aka 10, but I seem to remember that for .sys files - unlike .exe ones - the MajorOperatingSystemVersion is not relevant (in the sense that it doesn't prevent the .sys to work).

jaclaz

Ah, well, then it doesn't matter, it was only some "quirk" in the previous install attempts (or *whatever*) and you finally managed to install the "generic" Windows 8.1 driver.

Anyway I looked around a bit and it seems like it exists an Asus Precision Touchpad driver in version 11.0.0.15 where the .sys is Major/Minor 6/2 (and that has ELAN1200 in the .inf), it may be an option for other people, I am attaching it, only the bare driver, just in case. 

jaclaz

ASUS_ASUS_Precision_Touchpad_11.0.0.15.zip

3 minutes ago, Icepick said:

Hey jaclaz, i found out that my touchpad doesn't work when i use safe mode, is it normal?

Cannot say if "normal", but it is something that can happen alright with "secondary" devices, after all the idea of "Safe Mode" is to load the least possible drivers in order to troubleshoot a malfunctioning system (and the malfunctioning can often be linked to a "bad" driver).

In theory in Safe Mode you should have only very basic input and output devices, i.e. VGA screen, keyboard and mouse (either PS/2 or USB) anything else is not loaded.

Then there is the difference between with network and no network, but that wouldn't change anything for HID devices.  

jaclaz