100% cpu usage in windows xp?

legacyfan

I remember that happening to me in the past before, about the stupid .NET runtime stuff, sometimes i'd have 100% CPU constantly from "something" and the hard drive "grinding" like crazy nonstop ...and it was most certainly this ".net optimize" thing causing the hard drive to never stop.... just disabling those .net things in the services stuff stopped it for good, never been a problem ever since.

This was many many years ago though. And yea i always look at process explorer much more often than plain regular windows task manager. you can simply "hover your mouse" over all those svchosts.exe's and it'll show you exactly which services are running under each one. one of those will be the stupid .net stuff.

You can also have a service run in its own svchost.exe which makes its behaviour a lot easier to observe:

sc config <service> type= own

And to revert to the 'normal' shared behaviour:

sc config <sevice> type= share

For example, if you wanted the Automatuc Updates service to have its own svhost.exe:

sc config wuauserv type= own

Ben.

3 hours ago, kuja killer said:

I remember that happening to me in the past before, about the stupid .NET runtime stuff, sometimes i'd have 100% CPU constantly from "something" and the hard drive "grinding" like crazy nonstop ...and it was most certainly this ".net optimize" thing causing the hard drive to never stop.... just disabling those .net things in the services stuff stopped it for good, never been a problem ever since.

This was many many years ago though. And yea i always look at process explorer much more often than plain regular windows task manager. you can simply "hover your mouse" over all those svchosts.exe's and it'll show you exactly which services are running under each one. one of those will be the stupid .net stuff.

That certainly used to happen in the days when we were still getting .NET updates.
There are two optimisation services on my machine, one of which was added when .NET 4.0 was installed, and at that point the other one was disabled.
After almost every update, the service would run for quite some time, and then stop. It then wouldn't run again. And yes, it was a bit of a resource hog while it was running!
I always just let it complete. On a new installation I would expect the optimisation service(s) to run for a time to do their work, but they certainly shouldn't be running all the time. Something is wrong if that's the case.
:)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks to everyone that helped me with my problem the computer I was having the problem with is broken now and has been thrown away but I'm still very grateful for all the help (and im currently looking for a new laptop)

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to 100% cpu usage in windows xp?