100% cpu usage in windows xp?

legacyfan

recently ive noticed that on my laptop running windows xp svchost uses 100% cpu all the time and ive found no way of fixing the problem if any one could help with this it would be much appriciated

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to svchost uses 100% cpu in windows xp

1 minute ago, legacyfan said:

here is the screenshot you requested (this was taken with lightshot)

Screenshot_1.png

Next time you see it at 100%, see if mscorsvw is running - if so, you have a .net process updating or even "optimizing itself", axe it and see if svchost's percentage drops.

As a rule of thumb, I axe anything called "updater".

After a few reads on mscorsvw, your configuration has the operating system "optimizing your machine to launch apps faster".

I would seek out that configuration setting and disable it.

"Optimizations" going on behind your back is never a good thing, IMO.

I'll add that once it took me three days to figure out why an online radio station would have choppy audio.

The culprit there turned out to be the disk drive "defragmenting" itself behind my back - I no longer allow disk drives to "defragment" behind my back.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

is their any way to completely disable that service? also thanks in advanced for all your help its good to know i can always turn to this forum for help in a dire situation like this

Edited by legacyfan

A shot in the dark, but is Automatic Windows Update enabled?
I seem to remember that scanning for updates could result in a very long running svchost process running and using a lot of CPU time.
As Windows Update no longer works on XP, I'd disable it anyway if it isn't disabled.
:)

Run Process Explorer.

Double-click the svchost process which is torturing the CPU.

Select the Services tab to see which services are running in the process.

Stop those services one by one until you find which one is responsible for this.

Edited by RainyShadow

21 hours ago, legacyfan said:

is their any way i can completely disable that service? also thanks for all your help its good i can always turn to this forum for help:D-legacyfan

Try p-serv - http://p-nand-q.com/download/pserv_cpl/index.html. I have version 2,7 running since forever, and it works like a charm. I haven't tried newer versions, but would like to know if someone is running them