Microsoft announces a Windows event on June 24. What do I think?

sunryze

Appears that MSFN is back up now! To report back now:
Windows 11 was leaked. Almost a 100% possibility of it being Windows 11.  It brings a new UI and is codenamed cobalt under co_release. On the 24th we will see its announcement and possible release later this year. It is still version dev (the leaked build is 21996.1) so it is most likely not 21996.

Windows 11 also features many new changes like a new hotkey sound UI (not enabled, of course) and a new taskbar. Open Shell does not 100% work (the start menu is now different) and Aero Glass is a good luck to that. Fluent is now more everywhere and the corners are rounded like in Windows Vista and 7. There have been false claims of terminated Microsoft accounts or it sending data to China, but I have yet to see actual evidence of this.

Windows 11 in general at this moment is a reskinned version of 10. It follows the same NT kernel version and still includes the older explorer-based taskbar and start menu. And yes, the Windows 3.1 file manager still exists. Do not expect Windows 11 to be any improvement unless it is UI based. We still have the spying, automatic updates, lack of control, and inconsistent design. Plus, you can't change taskbar setttings right now.

32 minutes ago, dencorso said:

But... but... but... Wasn't 10 "the Windows to end all windows"?  :unsure::unsure::angel:dubbio:

I thought it was.

Microsoft LOOOVVESS to copy apple. Apple got stuck in 10.x world and Microsoft wanted in, then now that Apple finally left to 11 and 12 world Microsoft is leaving too.

Coincidence? I think not.

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

...codenamed cobalt...

The mad scientists at Microsoft must be aware that Cobalt has been a component of doomsday devices in such classics as On the Beach, Dr. Strangelove, Goldfinger and Beneath the Planet of the Apes:blink:

According to win32 over at the extended kernel project, he said something about how 21996.1 being surpassing in performance than Vista. Time to test it for myself to find out.

Alright I am not sure about the performance being an improvement. I just did a test for myself and even with a clean installed 11 with a 10 with tons of apps, 10 still outbeat Windows 11 by 200 points on passmark. Not that big of a difference but its nice to know that 11 will slightly down your performance.

My full opinions of Windows 11 are now confirmed at the moment. Subject to change on announcement day, but right now:

Windows 11 is the same if not worse than Windows 10.

All this "Windows is back!!" stuff is all a bunch of hype gain. Many factors have changed in 11 that will definitely make me come to say I will not be upgrading to it at any point in time right now.

• Loss of taskbar context menu (Win+X still exists, though)
  • Taskbar size has increased, causing it to have less screen real estate and also caused the clock to be crammed.
  • Windows 11 on my systems are less performant than a bloated 10 install
  • The TPM 2.0 requirement may destroy easy-installation on my systems if it's not just a internal feature
  • Nothing much changed under the hood meaning its like the difference of 8.0 to 8.1 or Vista to 7
  • Start menu is even worse with all the bullsht removed (Recommended sucks, the start menu tiles suck too) meaning that I will use Open Shell more often now. The 10 start menu was somewhat usable with all the bs removed
  • WDDM 3.0 is now introduced in this meaning that staying back on 10 will slowly become hell because of a possible DirectX 13 release?
  • Future update system may have changed to an Apple style one, meaning in 2022 we may get Windows 12, so on in 2023..
  • Knowing Microsoft we will be forced on Windows 11 just like GWX in 2015
  • Because so many people are Windows 10 shills, Windows 11 is getting massive amounts of love and affection even before its official announcement

Welp, another forced upgrade and depreciation of what makes Windows decent is upon us. This time, less people support legacy Windows so I expect this one to be more of a hell for people who don't like 10 or 11.

All this "Windows is back!!" stuff is all a bunch of hype gain. Many factors have changed in 11 that will definitely make me come to say I will not be upgrading to it at any point in time right now.

They did overhype from every Windows version. And everyone are already praising Windows 11 as only os they every need. Few months before it they said they never need any other os than Windows 10. This picture define it pretty much and is still true on Windows 11

There is cult following every tech company. Tesla got it cult, so does Apple, Microsoft, Valve, Google. They are blindly praising anything new company does and try defend every single company bad decision. They also call everyone disagreeing with them id*** or something else insulting that is biggest issue. Companies got their blindly following  For example I questioned some self driving car and had some of it flaws as argument and got called id*** (is there profanity filter now since part of word turned to ***? That word is not even profanity), boomer, not ready to future etc. Same when said critic about Apple anti repair practises. Got lot of hate and called id*** again. And you can guess what happen if criticise anything on Windows or linux. Same :(. I respect other opinions and wont go personal insults if someone disagree with me. I am sorta fanboy on some cases, Classic Nokia and SAAB as good example, but not blindly liking everything on it and can take critic from them and response to it without telling opposite id***. MSFN is pretty much last place where can have civil conversation even if criticise things without getting eaten alive.

WDDM 3.0 is now introduced in this meaning that staying back on 10 will slowly become hell because of a possible DirectX 13 release?

wonder if microsoft will do what Vmware did and skip 13 to 14 :roll1:

Welp, another forced upgrade and depreciation of what makes Windows decent is upon us. This time, less people support legacy Windows so I expect this one to be more of a hell for people who don't like 10 or 11.

Well if google Floc (baked in more precise browser spyware) becomes requiments to most websites, even retail stores and banks it will be. Right now most of web still works without Chrome or Chromium luckily so even XP can browse web just fine but on future if flock is required and google drops legacy support will not have access to even my own bank account other than bank office or pulling money out from ATM

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 6/21/2021 at 9:19 PM, dencorso said:

But... but... but... Wasn't 10 "the Windows to end all windows"?  :unsure::unsure::angel:dubbio:

Naah :no:, I believe that the good MS guys think in dec but write in hex :w00t:, they have a single nibble available for version but reserved B,C,D,E,F for future use, of course NOT documenting it, but rather half-@§§edly marking those values as "RESERVED, DO NOT USE", the project manager quickly realized that he couldn't go further than A, so in order to keep compatibility with older versions added a field for subversion and the good marketing guys came out with clear, logical, consistent version naming, like, you know:

Version 1507
Version 1511 (November Update)
Version 1607 (Anniversary Update)
Version 1703 (Creators Update)
Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)
Version 1803 (April 2018 Update)
Version 1809 (October 2018 Update)
Version 1903 (May 2019 Update)
Version 1909 (November 2019 Update)
Version 2004 (May 2020 Update)
Version 20H2 (October 2020 Update)

(you remember the good ol' times when we had SP1, SP2, etc.?)

and since they (the marketing guys) have no idea of what a version is, nor what names are for, or more generally no ideas at all, they promoted the "fixed" Windows 10 is and will be the last one.

Recently they put a couple interns in a disused lavatory (with a sign on the door "beware of the leopard") where they had archived some old documents, and the yutes[1] found a post-it with scribbled on it "values B,C,D,E,F can be used for Windows versions 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, need to add this to the official documentation", and  the Windows project started a new life.

Mind you, not that this is what has happened, but it is what may have happened (and still is much more logical than Windows 10 versioning ;)).

jaclaz

[1] https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104952/quotes/qt0404568

i will say this...

they can polish it to look like Bender's shiny a**
but i will NEVER go to any post 7 version, ever ever, because of their disgusting anti-privacy embedded in system

and i still dont understand why people keep using this piece of s*** NT OS ?
games ? ok, stiff it VM and youre ok
anything else makes no sense ... at least for home use...