Microsoft announces a Windows event on June 24. What do I think?

sunryze

This is almost 100% sun valley. But some people are rumoring that it may be a new release of Windows, like Windows 11. 

What do you guys think? This could be the first major release since 2015.

I think it's nice. I hope that sun valley update is a nice one and has good changes and features. Let's see how will that "Windows" event be.

14 hours ago, legacyfan said:

it  would be interesting to see if they can change and make windows better

Yeah, that would be good.

Edited by mina354

myself, i stopped caring about any win release ever since win 8 betas came out

IMO win7 was last "shiny knight", everything after crappozolla

Edited by vinifera

I'm skeptical on the whole thing like I was with Windows 10. I've been using Windows 10 as a daily driver for a year now and even though I'm not fond of it, it drives a lot of the programs I've been running. So while it's not bad, it's not awesome and I've had more problems with it than my beloved Windows 2000. But of course as we've seen time and time again from Microsoft, there are usually a lot of bugs and stability issues with vanilla releases of Windows and don't really improve until the service packs start rolling out. It would be nice to see actual service packs again rather than these continuous rolling updates. Windows 10 never felt finished because of this update method.

A small thing I miss is the ability to really tweak the user interface and use real themes. I don't care for the flatness of Windows 10 and prefer above anything, the Windows Classic theme which was completely removed. Even Aero had a bit more character than the Windows 10 theme. So I don't really expect that to change judging from the screenshots I've seen so far. But of course the big thing will be functionality and we'll have to see what the system requirements are to run the OS but I'm assuming they won't be too different from Windows 10. Probably anything that can run Vista smoothly will most likely be able to run Windows 11.

For anyone that wants a little more information: https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/3/22466394/microsoft-windows-11-launch-teaser-rumors

I would have to agree that launching a whole new Windows would be a smart move, considering that like the article says, new versions of Windows spark more PC sales and considering the whole Covid mess over the past year and a half and many US citizens receiving stimulus checks from the government, it could potentially nudge people who saved some of that money to buy a new computer. That's just my thought though.

19 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

All companies have events now, gets those hashtags spreading.

And everyone (at those companies) is excited (actually announces how he/she/it is excited) about the coming event and the life-changing breakthroughs that will be revealed then..

19 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Hopefully they announce that they've fixed all the 404 links on their website.

404's?

That is so '90's, they already changed most of them to a "redirect to home page, and search[1]" with no meaningful message, AFAICR.

jaclaz

[1] or, even better, get Windows 10 and search[2]

[2] or, even better, get Windows 10 and use Cortana to search

Edited by jaclaz

A while ago, Microsoft had changed or stopped using their link forwarder (go links) on their site... without actually updating or removing the thousands of such links on their site. So you can find many pages on microsoft.com with links that do not go anywhere.

And then there are instances where their own search results page will have links that do not work, for example:

https://support.microsoft.com/search/results?query=2664716&isEnrichedQuery=false

Both of the results on that page go to a 404 page.

37 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

All companies have events now, gets those hashtags spreading.

And dance around on stage like they are having some kind of seizure and throw rocks at a vehicle claiming the windows won't break but then the window breaks in front of a live audience trying to learn the dance moves of the seizure they just witnessed.

24 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

And then there are instances where their own search results page will have links that do not work, for example:

https://support.microsoft.com/search/results?query=2664716&isEnrichedQuery=false

Good :) and - in order to add idiocy to idiocy - the first link in your search result reads:

Microsoft Support

We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.

(emphasis is mine)

which could be something I could write (I mean, myself personally, NOT one of the primary software related companies in the world) on my personal blog because I cannot understand how to format the html or how to configure a database search, or the rendering engine or *whatever* or because I have limited access to some site settings. :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I'd have hope if this was a Windows 10 problem but it's really not. It's everywhere, if you want to make all the money, ads, spyware, free as in cost, Whatever as a Service, etc is the business model, google, apple , facebook, gaming companies, everyone is doing it, and as long as this stays we'll never get a proper operating system again (other than ones not controlled by corporations like linux). Windows 11 will just have a lot more of everything we hate in 10. More ads, more "telemetry", even more restrictive like Mac, it's our PC now you use it the way we tell you to or we make your life hell. Also it's obvious that whatever they develop and name it, it will be just an easy cashgrab bc they know it works. Couldn't care less, it's micro$oft, i know what to expect. Windows is dead.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:17 AM, tyl0413 said:

I'd have hope if this was a Windows 10 problem but it's really not. It's everywhere, if you want to make all the money, ads, spyware, free as in cost, Whatever as a Service, etc is the business model, google, apple , facebook, gaming companies, everyone is doing it, and as long as this stays we'll never get a proper operating system again (other than ones not controlled by corporations like linux). Windows 11 will just have a lot more of everything we hate in 10. More ads, more "telemetry", even more restrictive like Mac, it's our PC now you use it the way we tell you to or we make your life hell. Also it's obvious that whatever they develop and name it, it will be just an easy cashgrab bc they know it works. Couldn't care less, it's micro$oft, i know what to expect. Windows is dead.

I would have to agree.....I am wondering if micro$oft remember the statements released with Windows 10 regarding that it would be the last Windows version and just updates for that version....but then again....micro$oft is not known for being honest as a company.....