directx runtime for windows xp?

legacyfan

im working on getting windows xp fully updated and im still missing directx runtime if anyone knows of a place I can download this file it would be much appriciated-legacyfan

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to directx runtime for windows xp?
  • 4 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 9:18 AM, UCyborg said:

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) is pretty much all you need as far as I'm aware of.

Hi , I see you are an experienced user ! Will you please help me to create a portable DX9 version ? Or perhaps you already know where to get such package ? The idea is not to install it to the system.  Thanks in advance ! So far I was able to launch the game with some dll from DX redist , but the game has no sound . I'm 100% positive it is due to DX9 redist missing from the system.

DirectX has components that can be called through COM, some exclusively that way, which needs references in registry. App just says it wants to instantiate an object with certain GUID, COM looks up GUID in the registry, loads the referenced DLL and retrieves the requested object.

There's probably no nice way to workaround this. Does creating temporary registry entries (in user-specific hive) until exit still count as portable?

Edited by UCyborg

I think it's OK to try , I can delete them any time I want . You see , I was wondering for many-many years why my sound quality is junk , until one of the members explained  it's due to DX9 redist. So I deleted it completely and now I have fanatstic audio quality ! As soon as I get it back - awful audio . Not punchy ! So I want to create a portable version . Only one of my games really needs it . All of the others , including the latest from 2021 , don't ! 

You'd need to:

• make a list of DLLs in DX9 redist that export DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer functions (Process Hacker's PE Viewer is one of the tools that list exported functions),
  • then look for them in registry on the system where they're installed at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\InProcServer32,
  • export all relevant {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} keys that reference each DLL under InProcServer32 key,
  • put results from multiple .reg files into a single .reg,
  • in that file replicate all CLSID keys under ...\Classes\CLSID\... for 64-bit DLLs,
  • paths to DLLs under InProcServer32 keys may be omitted, leaving only DLL name, if the idea is to put DLLs in game folder (mind the bitness),
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instances may be replaced with HKEY_CURRENT_USER so references are put in current user's registry rather than system wide.

Theoretically, you should have .reg script with essential references. Then you have to make another that just deletes the created keys. I never monitored DX redist installer with some kind of advanced uninstaller tool logging file and registry changes, so can't say if there's a possibility that anything more would be needed. Might want to only do the DLLs in CAB files which name contains "XAudio" for a start if only audio is the problem with the game.

Well , of course , thank you ! 

ProcessHacker peview.exe (if that's what you're talking about) , doesn't list export functions in Vista , but I was able to use dllexp.exe by nirsoft .

A - Adding registry keys makes glitches to the software that worked flawlessly before . 

B - Yes , only audio not working in that stupid game . How come only japanese software is always having problems, I mean, funny all games work ! I really do not understand how 99.99 % of games and software , except japanese games work absolutely fine ! The funniest thing they (japs) were still making DX9 games in 2015 !

You can search and see for youself many gamers are having troubles with sound in japanese games .

Of course that ancient DX audio the japs use makes the whole system sound like junk . It's win2000/XP legacy libraries , they resample everything to 48Khz !

Thanks to Dixel , I now have fantastic audio , he suggested me to remove that junk . But I still kind of want to use that game with sound ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, UCyborg said:

Theoretically, you should have .reg script with essential references.

Hi , so I  tracked down Xaudio files that are needed for the game . XAudio2_7.dll needs to be in sysWoW64 and in sys32 (both) for it to work . But it doesn't want to play sound without the registry entries , in other words , it wants it to be installed . Will you help me to force the game to use them locally ? Thank you.