Overheating Problems With Linux

Ive just today installed linux mint 20.01 and its running just fine accept for that it has a really weird heating problem that overheats my laptop and i need a way to fix it if any one knows of any ways i can fix this it would be really appreciated Ive been wanting to use linux for a long time and i don't want it all messed up by heating problems-legacyfan

Edited by legacyfan

Is overheating a problem of Linux, or was it there before you installed Linux on it? Tell us more about your laptop. Unfortuneatly, computers have to be cleaned sometimes from dust. Some high-performance systems are also vulnerable to overheating because of the thermal paste on the processor is getting old.

here is my specs my laptop is the e6430 from 2012  my specs: Intel hd graphics 4000 toshiba 298gb hdd  Intel core I5 -3320m cpu @2.60ghz 3 generation  and the issue start after linux was installed

Edited by legacyfan

The current Linux Mint might be too fat for the 10-year-old machine with a standard HDD. Maybe your computer gets to the limit already through booting this Linux! Sometimes there is no harmony between the graphics driver and Linux, too. Sometimes, you are just unlucky to have an incompatible hardware. However first, a computer that old has to be cleaned. Get some screwdrivers and open it up.

Aside from that, you could look for a smaller Linux. Xubuntu with Xfce maybe? I use Salix with Xfce, but that's not the easiest to use and some programs are missing.

thanks for all your help ill try cleaning my laptop and see if that helps-legacyfan (edit it still has overheating problems ive decided to go back to windows xp until i can figure out how to get linux to work)

Edited by legacyfan

I suggest you watch some videos on how to disassemble your exact laptop's model before you do it ! It may not be as easy as it seems and it can get damaged .

• legacyfan changed the title to Overheating Problems With Linux