Unsupported Video Signal on 2007 Toshiba Monitor

FantasyAcquiesce

Hello,

I recently picked up a free 2007 Toshiba 720p TV at a garage, and it's worked wonderfully with an intel core duo 2 PC to HDMI stream videos on Windows XP with a Chinese chromium 86 web browser.

Now, I am having issues with its VGA port. I've been trying to use an old Pentium 4 PC I obtained a while back on it, but the thing is saying VGA isn't supported. Once Windows XP goes past the boot screen, the video is completely unsupported.

The model of my television is 32HL67U, but I don't seem to find anything about it when I google. The PC works at minimum resolution (mode is 3:4), but does anyone know if there's a specific max resolution?

Thank you!

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

Still it should work in safe mode, at a low refresh rate and 640x480, i.e. using the built-in (very basic) VGA,SYS driver.

That display should be "native" 1366x768:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ck1x8D2nHIj/p_05232HL67U/Toshiba-32HL67U.html

Then as suggested by RanyShadow, you should be able to modify the .inf/EDID if needed, but it is "queer" as this kind of modifications are usually not needed for relatively recent displays.

Are you sure you did not - by accident - forced a higher than 1366x768 resolution or a stupidly fast refresh rate (probably that thingy cannot go faster than 50 or 60 Hz)?

Try with another surely working monitor/display and try setting the video card resolution to 1366x768@50Hz or 1366x768@60Hz,, and then try connecting that Toshiba TV, first thing.

jaclaz

Thank you all! This is very helpful!

During my attempts, I've tried putting many screen resolutions on, but doing so had only given me the unsupported video error. So far, the lowest resolution available (didn't allow 640 x 480, only the common one above that one) and another resolution worked...but I may need to check that again because booting the PC gave me another unsupported video signal error.

The VGA works at all resolutions on a smaller Dell monitor of mine, but I am hoping to use this giant TV and not have to constantly switch them. The TV is very heavy...

For the refresh rate of the monitor, I do not have any option to change it, I think.

6 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

For the refresh rate of the monitor, I do not have any option to change it, I think.

Usually it depends on the specific video card and related driver and/or "control Panel", you can try (via Wayback Machine):

https://web.archive.org/web/20200627082814/http://funk.eu/hrc/

Also - for what it costs - en el-cheapo VGA to HDMI converter might solve the problem without needing to edit Registry/Edid, etc., these thingies are typically in the 8-15 Euro range.

jaclaz