30 years later...

NotHereToPlayGames

On 6/10/2021 at 8:43 AM, Gansangriff said:

don't rely on a poorly-planned state to help you when you're old

@Gansangriff  , not sure if it's on-topic , but since you've started , I agree...

I'm a simple guy , so my plans for the retirement are rather simple too. 

1 - I'm gonna find a quiet place to live , but not far from a medical facility , just in case , nowadays it won't be easy , I guess.

2 - I'll buy an Opel Olympia Deluxe (4-door) sedan 1938 , I actually owned this very Opel in the 90's (which I got from my grandfather) , but it had 2 doors only and I always wanted the 4-door variant.

https://cdn.nettiauto.com/live/2020/01/23/8184165c7df0d21c-large.jpg

If I won't be able to find the Olympia one , I'll switch to Opel Kadett K38. For those who are wondering , it is a simplified Olympia from the same year .

https://www.vccsturm.cz/sites/www.vccsturm.cz/files/renovace/o/p/opel_kadett_k38_spezial_0.jpg

https://uploads.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/opel/13726308.jpg

3 - And this one is my dream car , if I will have enough money for permits and restoration , which won't be easy to obtain, as one may guess.  A nice multi-purpose car . Convenient for big families and off-road driving.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/53/28/86/532886aed64161085baab132cbb266f6.jpg

http://www.casmodels.org/uploads/5/5/1/1/5511257/1151113.jpg

P.S.

All cars will be repainted to FELDGRAU. 

Tripredacus and the others , thank you all for the replies and your opinions , it was very nice of you ! I'll get back here and talk about this as soon as possible , I'm having pretty busy days , all of a sudden , sorry . Aslo, I wasn't able to upload any pictures , I wanted to ask  @Tripredacus , maybe you know why am I limited to 1.82Kb (yes , 1.82kb) images only ? Seems like ages have passed since I was able to upload anything . I do not even remember , but it was long ago, thank you !

Edited by Dixel
made a typo in "thank you". Well , that's me ...

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

maybe you know why am I limited to 1.82Kb (yes , 1.82kb) images only ? Seems like ages have passed since I was able to upload anything . I do not even remember , but it was long ago, thank you !

likely you have filled 2mb upload limit. Go to https://msfn.org/board/attachments/ and check what attacments you have on board and delete old unneeded ones

On 6/10/2021 at 2:43 AM, Gansangriff said:

. . . don't rely on a poorly-planned state to help you when you're old.

Bingo!

Which here in the States generally means OWN YOUR OWN HOME versus renting-and-saving.

I'm not too concerned with Social Security (our poorly-planned state assistence for the old) being here or not when I get old.

I do think that it will still be here.

But it is poorly-planned and Baby Boomers (those that are retired now or retiring soon) are currently getting, on average, $18,170 a year.

This is when the average household income is $87,864.

So the average Social Security income is only 21% of the average household income.

I plan my retirement assuming this number WILL be LOWER when my generation draws Social Security because it is POORLY-PLANNED.

But bear in mind also that this compares retirement income to household income.

If your kids are still living off the dole during your retirement years, this will effect you negatively.

If you took out a 30yr mortgage 50yrs ago and you are still making mortgage payments, this will effect you negatively.

If you took out a 6yr car loan 2yrs before you retired, this will effect you negatively.

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

. . . maybe you know why am I limited to 1.82Kb (yes , 1.82kb) images only ?

I ran into this also, several months back.

I was unaware that when I attached a picture to a post, that it is saved as part of my profile.

I had to go into my profile and delete pictures in order to be able to post new pictures.

But then I ended up with old posts that had a picture but now no longer do.

I now upload pic to Dropbox then embed links instead.

@ArcticFoxie: I'd wish it for my parents too, and they have a bit more than 10 years until their retirement. That they get enough retirement income to live properly. But everyone under 30, if you think "work, work, work" works, and the state pays for you in the end, please awake from that dream! I can assure you that finance and economy are much bigger topics for the kids now and the 18-year-olds I know will definetly not be fooled by the retirement system. They don't want to pay for the mistakes of the old people. The stupid will pay, so better not be one of them. Arm yourself with knowledge!

I'd expect you guys in the US are having more freedom in some ways there, but that freedom has to be used well. Health insurance would be another topic, I don't want to get into now. I've learned in school, that the houses in the USA can be built very cheaply. The next hurricane comes anyways! In Germany, rules follow rules, building permits, building departements, papers, buerocracy... everything has to be planned according to many rules. Very few dangerous animals... and the weather is solid too. It's just that these fools from the long gone past built nearly every city at a river, making them a bit flood-vulnerable...

33 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

It's just that these fools from the long gone past built nearly every city at a river, making them a bit flood-vulnerable...

Technically, the "fools" used to build cities/villages either on top of hills (easier to defend from enemies/invaders) or along rivers (ready availability of water and often possibility of using the river for transportation via boat), the choice to evaluate was between risks of floods and risks of landslides.

The fact that you (and me, and everyone else) exist and are alive after a couple thousand years should mean that all in all the plan of the "fools" worked.

The economy by ship had their place in history. Especially when we see, how many big cities (without being next to the sea) have grown near rivers. But in fact, it's "obsolete" and causes some cities to drown regularly. That's what I meant with that (okay, they were not all fools). A today's city architect would plan differently nowadys.

1 hour ago, Gansangriff said:

A today's city architect would plan differently nowadys.

BUT what will be delivered will invariably be a city almost, but not quite, completely unlike functional or pleasant to live in.

They (city planning architects) are #3 in my list of "unreliable experts" (for the record #1 are astrologists, closely followed at #2 by economists).

To their (all three of them) credit:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/10/20/no-predict/

jaclaz

The best parallel that comes to mind as far as "fools" building along the river and the plan of those "fools" working in that we are still here is NEW ORLEANS.

Then Hurricane Katrina flooding New Orleans in August 2005.

Look at the history of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina hit.

Public schools were some of the worst in the country; the murder rate was among the highest in the USA; there was deep-seated economic disparity between races; and the city's population had been on a steep decline for nearly a half-century.

It all "worked" as far as us being here thousands of years later because the non-fools FLED and the "fools" stayed behind.

And those that do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Do you think that Katrina was the "first"?

Heck no, we had Betsy in '65, Camille in '69, Andrew in '92.

But the "fools" did not heed warning and stayed behind.

Well, no, wrong parallel, and "fools" from the wrong period..

I don't think that any one founded New Orleans thousands of years ago, those that did that circa 1718-1725 should have known what to expect and of course the descendants of those "fools" are those that are to be blamed for public schools, etc. or for not fleeing (tens, not thousands of years ago).

Curiously enough, New Orleans was actually planned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrien_de_Pauger

but of course only the basic French Quarter, I believe that most of the rest of the city was later built without any care or planning, and everything was (poorly) modified and "patched" over the course of the following two centuries.

And of course most of the damages of the various floods is connected with failure (bad engineering and construction) of the levees and flood walls :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_levee_failures_in_Greater_New_Orleans

let us not mix together modern incompetence with the ancient (outstanding) building abilities. 

jaclaz

Where is the line drawn, shall we discuss the Nile next?

I don't really see the connection between New Orleans in 1718-1725 and whether or not people should have still been living in some of the area post-1940.

Gold Mine towns popped up left and right during the Gold Rush - and departed when no more gold was to be found.

Same for Coal Mine towns.

But as far as sea port towns, New Orleans made terrible mistakes, mistakes that New York, Houston, Corpus Christi, Baltimore, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Tamba Bay, Seattle, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, Louisville, Brunswick, Sandusky, etc did not make.

I'll add that my only real "direct" experience with New Orleans is that here in the Midwest where I live, we had several high-rent districts evolve into government-subsidized housing that took in several families from New Orleans.

I can tell you firsthand that these areas are no longer high-rent districts and most of us cross our fingers that our children do not select these apartment complexes when they find a place of their own and start their families.

The non-fools moved away from those communities, even though they were the "best in town" when we moved their in the first place.

We have the same thing happening again here in the Midwest due to covid-pandemic, a very large number of folks migrating from the Chicago area to our area.

And some very well-respected areas of town no longer regarded as well-respected.

"Things change..."

Edited by ArcticFoxie

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Where is the line drawn, shall we discuss the Nile next?

There was NO line drawn until you drew it at "thousands years"  (confirming my tentative two thousand years one):

6 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

It all "worked" as far as us being here thousands of years later because the non-fools FLED and the "fools" stayed behind.

to swiftly cross it and going "New Orleans", only a few hundreds years old, and flooded not because of the original planning/positioning, but rather for the incompetence of the contemporary. 

But the good things with lines drawn on sand (from the Nile shore) is that they can be easily deleted. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz