windows 9x: how install the MS-DOS drivers?

Joaquim

thanks to https://www.uwe-sieber.de/util_e.html

i used the ctmouse19 from FreeDOS and works.. copy the ctmouse.exe to "c:\Windows\Command"

heres my actual autoexec.bat and config.sys:
autoexecute.bat:

@ECHO OFF
C:\Windows\command\MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=2
C:\Windows\command\MODE CON CP PREP=((850) C:\Windows\command\EGA.CPI)
C:\Windows\command\MODE CON CP SEL=850
keyb po,,c:\windows\command\keyboard.sys
lh C:\Windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE  /D:mscd001
lh C:\Windows\command\mouse.exe
lh C:\Windows\command\doskey.com

config.sys(line 10, 11 and 12 with an error):

NUMLOCK=OFF
BREAK=ON
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
FCBS=1,0
BUFFERS=10,0
LASTDRIVE=J
STACKS=9,256
COUNTRY=045,865,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\HIMEM.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EMM386.EXE RAM /MIN=0 I=B000-B7FF /V
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,2)
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:2 =C:\CDROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ /E:1024 /P

i don't know fix these errors... the himem.sys and emm386 give me a error: or is missing or corrupted.

what i need is add sound and drives(cd rom and disquette) on MS-DOS...
the mouse works like a sharm ;)

Edited by Joaquim

Normally HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE are in the Windows-directory, NOT in  WINDOWS\COMMAND.

I'm not sure about ANSI.SYS - search with DIR ANSI.SYS /s from the command-line (can take a while).

"Normally HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE are in the Windows-directory, NOT in  WINDOWS\COMMAND."

true.. after fix that i must press any key for continue... why?

"I'm not sure about ANSI.SYS - search with DIR ANSI.SYS /s from the command-line (can take a while)."

was found on "C:\windows\command"

1 hour ago, Joaquim said:

true.. after fix that i must press any key for continue... why?

Don't know. You can REM lines one at a time to search if there is an entry causing this behaviour. Maybe start with the ANSI.SYS-line. Type 'REM ' at the beginning (without quotes) and reboot.

BTW Why are you using COMMAND.COM from C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND instead from C:\WINDOWS ?

Edited by deomsh
Typo

You can begin with DIR A:\ /p to see if the drive exists and to view the content of the root directory of drive A: - and so on for all available drives.

If you want to give some command on a certain drive (run a program or whatsoever), just type the 'drive-letter' and ':' and give 'Enter' - according to the example above: A: and you are 'on' that drive. If you want to 'call' a program while 'on' another drive, include the drive. Example: D:\SOMEPATH\APROGRAM.EXE

MS-DOS doesn't need drivers for internal Floppy disks nor Hard disks, if the Hard disks are set in BIOS to IDE-mode (if they are SATA).

Your CD-drivers seems to be NOT correct in your CONFIG.SYS / AUTOEXEC.BAT. Both CDROM.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE should have the SAME entry, like /D:MSCD000

14 hours ago, deomsh said:

MS-DOS doesn't need drivers for internal Floppy disks nor Hard disks, if the Hard disks are set in BIOS to IDE-mode (if they are SATA).

Your CD-drivers seems to be NOT correct in your CONFIG.SYS / AUTOEXEC.BAT. Both CDROM.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE should have the SAME entry, like /D:MSCD000

So try fix the config.sys and autoexecute.bat.

I'm trying do the things that i didn't learned

finally i get the CDROM and USB(and the external USB floppy drive) working from here: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2018-02-05-USB-in-MS-DOS-and-Win98.htm

i see 2 problems:
1 - i must plug the drives, before turn on the computer;
2 - i can't change the pen or other device.... i must turn off and plug them ...

how can i fix these problems?

DOSSOUND is not a DOS driver for AC'97/HD Audio!
It's just a custom interface/API to play WAV files (with example programs included), it doesn't work with any existing DOS programs as it does not provide any Soundblaster/OPL interface that programs can use. Useless in your case.
There are no DOS drivers for AC'97/HD Audio!
If there's no option to add some kind of a sound card like on a laptop (and if there's no LPT port to use something like OPL2LPT), best bet is to...use DOSBox under Windows 98 SE (as stupid as this idea sounds, I know :) )