how to update windows vista/xp in 2021 (fix provided by i430vx)

legacyfan

Please don't do posts like this

11 hours ago, legacyfan said:

never mind i found a fix

If you found the fix, post a link or post the fix so that you help other people at MSFN

• legacyfan changed the title to how to update windows vista/xp in 2021 (fix provided by i430vx)
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied the reg on Windows vista. It downloaded me the Windows Update client and it apparently don't download nothing more. Are required another updates like IE9? I applied the reg on a fresh Vista SP2 installation. I did that because I'm planning to try the KernelEX.

28 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

I applied the reg on Windows vista. It downloaded me the Windows Update client and it apparently don't download nothing more. Are required another updates like IE9? I applied the reg on a fresh Vista SP2 installation. I did that because I'm planning to try the KernelEX.

there are a few updates that you need to install manually in order to get windows update to work. search on youtube  "windows vista update fix/ stuck" 

this might work for you, for me it doesn't work even with the manually installed updates but it's worth trying

1 hour ago, Sergiaws said:

Does Windows Update now seem to search endlessly for more updates? If so, then this is an old familiar issue that has existed since Windows 10 was released nearly six years ago (and I never thought the timing was just a coincidence). It sounds like you prefer written explanations, and I last wrote about how to solve this on April 29. My Vista x86 was already updated before M$ cut off Windows updates for Vista and earlier last year, but I did take the time to watch the video that i430VX first mentioned February 28 and it does mention the need to manually install the four well-known updates to get Windows Update working for Vista SP2. It is not necessary to manually install IE9 - but if you have already done so, then it is advisable (but not essential) to install a relatively recent update for it to simplify the search for the approximately 200 remaining Windows updates, which might still take a few hours even with all the recommended patches installed.

On the other hand, if Windows Update is throwing an error code such as 0x80072EFE in short order, then you would be wasting your time to attempt anything mentioned above. :(

13 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

I preffer a text tutorial. I'll research it later

Read the video description. WIndows Vista SP2 section. It is text.;)

Edited by i430VX
somehow managed to forget to paste video link