How would you make 10 respect you?

sunryze

I've used 10 since the day it came out and never have fully understood the best steps at making it respect you.

What specifically would I do to get it to respect me?

On a "live" system, I would recommend removing ALL "metro apps" - even if you "like" them (find a 3rd party equivalent instead!)

Here's an example but google/bing/duck for a learning-read - https://www.maketecheasier.com/uninstall-pre-installed-apps-windows-10/

But I would go one step further and axe them before they are even installed in the first place.

You will need to learn how to use NTLite and WinReducer EX 100.

Again, google/bing/duck to learn more.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I don't know then. I have a system that supports 7, 8.x and 10.

Ive used 10 for years, so I dont know if I should take advantage of my supported hardware and go with 8.x or make a custom 10 ISO. I'd prefer not to use 21H1 due to its recentness, 20H2 the same, 2004 because of the SSD bug. Leaves me with 1909 or 1903.

2 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Ive used 10 for years, so I dont know if I should take advantage of my supported hardware and go with 8.x

I would not recommend even use Windows 8.x UNLESS you got Windows Server 2012 r2 licence. Windows 8 got baked in advertising things like Windows 10, ui is utter mess since two control panels.

Server 2012 r2 in other hand is way more secure, less telemetry, only classic control panel while having Windows 8 advantages. For hardware and software compability been having very good luck with display adapters (some may need manual forcing), network cards etc. Windows Server 2012 r2 with classic shell is best option if want 8x.

I personally set line to Windows 7. Not going newer version in any case. For anything else I use Debian Linux with free and open source software.

My company laptop came with LTSB 2015 and was then upgraded to LTSB 2016.

I would recommend 2016 over 2015.

I know that the company IT department opted to remain on 2016 when 2019 was tested, but I do not really know why they opted out of 2019.

If you take the time to learn NTLite and WinReducer Ex 100, my experience is that you can get the regular version to be almost identical to the LTSB version.

There may be some networking differences that only an IT Professional would even notice, but it seems to be the best route for Win 10 on a home computer.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, Tonny52 said:

The thing that gets me a little scared of LTSx is Microsoft's lack of care toward it.

Can you elaborate? I don't really see a lack of care as they still push out monthly cumulative updates and seem to have kept their promise of supporting it for 10 years.

The only issue I've come across has nothing to do with Microsoft, rather nVidia or AMD setting minimum Windows build requirements for video drivers. It basically has made it so the LTSC 1809 is the only viable option if you want to use a modern video card.

On 5/29/2021 at 3:03 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I would not recommend even use Windows 8.x UNLESS you got Windows Server 2012 r2 licence. Windows 8 got baked in advertising things like Windows 10, ui is utter mess since two control panels.

Server 2012 r2 in other hand is way more secure, less telemetry, only classic control panel while having Windows 8 advantages. For hardware and software compability been having very good luck with display adapters (some may need manual forcing), network cards etc. Windows Server 2012 r2 with classic shell is best option if want 8x.

I personally set line to Windows 7. Not going newer version in any case. For anything else I use Debian Linux with free and open source software.

Yes I run Windows 8 using Server 2012 updates.  It's a very tamed system.  And Classic Shell curbs those UI woes.

Besides, all of the classic Control Panel items are present.  Nothing wrong with Windows 8.