how to get the best performance on windows xp?

legacyfan

21 minutes ago, Dixel said:

In the future , please refrain from discussing my person , my ego , political views , my appearance and the such . This is none of your concern , thank you . 

Wait a minute, I have seen the post where your ego is cited, but I missed the ones where your person, political views and appearance were discussed. :unsure:

jaclaz

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

For example , these articles seems to be interesting , it definitely eats away someone's traffic , not in 100% of cases, of course. But from my experience , it does and often . (on XP , 7 and Vista too).

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/586092-strange-webclient-traffic

https://blog.didierstevens.com/2017/11/13/webdav-traffic-to-malicious-sites/

Thanks for the links.

I have not seen the traffic cited but nor have I dedicated hours/days/weeks to try to catch a needle in a haystack.

Regardless, the fewer number of services running on my computer the better - so again, many thanks.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Wait a minute, I have seen the post where your ego is cited, but I missed the ones where your person, political views and appearance were discussed. :unsure:

jaclaz

I don't think @Dixel is referring to me on that one.

There were several conspiracy theory discussions in the 360Chrome thread(s) but I have moved on and accepted that @Dixel and I simply had a case of misunderstanding and I have moved beyond it.

I haven't seen the need to dig up any sort of "history" as far as on my end.

I think I have a relatively good history here of being "helpful" and staying "out of the fray".

Long Live MSFN...  Long Live Win XP...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:44 PM, Dixel said:

I had a week of training by Didier Stevens (about pdf-hacking), and i think that man has quite some proven record of competence regarding security. He knows how to apply some really nasty hacks.

I read the blog-entry, and think what is there will motivate security-aware people to disable the webdav-client even on other old OS than XP. I'd be very, very careful with W7 already, but with a patched W10, it should be safe. I don't use anything below W10, unless it is blocked on my router, and confined to a virtual network. For anyone knowing what they are doing regarding hardening, some old OS might still suffice, but for myself, i'm not that good, therefore i don't take risks.

Edited by ragnargd

I only leave these services (of the ones shipping in XP) running in automatic and manual. I think workstation can be disabled if you do not plan to use a lan (but I haven't tested it). I wonder if com+ is really needed -has anyone disabled it or turn it to manual?.

Noname.jpg

Noname.jpg