H3llo .. and help?

DbLH3liX

I've been lurking for a couple of days due to not being able to register with my main email (msn/hotmail account). I don't have an ISP, I have a mobile phone with a hotspot hence the msn account from centuries ago.

I'm using my preferred OS: WinXPproSP3 32bit. I was a die-hard for WinME and it took a lot of convincing for me to move on up to XP, back in the days of mega paranoia where we just did not update, or WU broke things.

I'm really tired of ppl taking the micky for my love of XP but I think I've found a supportive crowd here, by the looks of what I've seen while not being able to verify (again, lurk mode lol).

Most of my updates were from long ago. My Windows Update looks antique now and I just get the msg that it needs to connect to internet. Well I'm obviously connected, tho WU can't see that. Despite getting there through Help & Support, it looks similar to an IE that us diehards stopped using as soon as our WinXP was up & running. (IE6 is the one I have installed but only ever used it to download a better browser.)

I don't know where to start :-\ I'm using Chrome to browse and it's on v49 and will no longer get updates. I come across many many sites that I cannot view because the site is insecure or some similar message, and if I really want to browse whatever those sites are I have to break out my Win8.1 laptop, or view the google cached version (in which case I can't follow links on the page for the same reason that I had to view it cached). I'd much rather use XP..and Win10? urgh I don't like it at all. I believe my issue may be with TLS and the fact that I don't have 1.2, but not really sure. There is sooooo much information on this server that I'm kinda stuck with where to start. EOL for XP? Um not according to this server lol and thank you to all those keeping it alive!

If someone could point me to the right door to begin my update journey that would be awesome!

I also have two Vista laptops. Gifted. One is 32bit the other 64bit. And 3 recently gifted socket 775 desktops without HDD's so they'll be fun projects too. I already mentioned the Win8.1 .. and there's the gaming rig with win10 that's stuck in a bootloop lol fun times.

So anyway...Hello!

Edited by DbLH3liX

Hello from Finland and welcome to msfn:hello:

18 hours ago, DbLH3liX said:

I'm really tired of ppl taking the micky for my love of XP but I think I've found a supportive crowd here, by the looks of what I've seen while not being able to verify (again, lurk mode lol).

MSFN is so far only board where criticising "teh latest and greatest" os and saying uses Windows XP does not result personal insults like "you are paranoid, stupid etc" and use "latest Windows and do whatever you did on vm" and like it for that. Can talk with like minded peoples.

Do not get me wrong I am fine peoples using whatever works for them but do not like when something "mandotary" I do not like is pushed down my throat (i.e: IE, Edge, touch screen phones (my good old Nokia 6600 is going strong still but it is bad apparently since "Symbian is dead" but I wont care), chrome, Windows 8, Windows 10, anything that blocks user repairs). I defend ability to choose what you use. Market should be fair and new products, operating systems and software should be used because they are better not because they are forced as only option.

If someone could point me to the right door to begin my update journey that would be awesome!

first of all I would recommend update Internet explorer to support TLS 1.2 and 1.1 even if wont need it since some sw uses ie to connect. To do it you need this and this  guide how enable it here. Then update root certificates using this. To browse web use Mypal  by Feodor2 or Newmoon browser by RoyTam. For email use Mailnews by RoyTam. It supports O2Auth, tls 1.3 and all other thunderbird 52 supports. Easiest way install RoyTam1 browser and email client is use I430VX browser installer. That thing makes is super easy and use it myself. 

I am running Windows XP most of time outside my work, I got RTL-SDR based radioscanner and using SDRSharp to scan frequencies, DVBViewer with Happauge WinTV solohd tv tuner (slightly modded drivers), perihepals like digital cameras, game controllers, multimedia keyboard (Logitec g110), 16:10 24" widescreen monitor (Dell ultrasharp 2407WFP 1920x1200) I am syncing my Nokia 6600 phone contacts and calendar and transferring camera pictures, recordings with pc using Nokia pc suite for 6600. I play lot of games, listen music, watch videos/movies, edit videos, edit audio (backported audacity), check email, scan radio frequencies to find interesting things, watch and record TV and manage my Esxi home server. So yeah you can do lot on XP and even run it as daily OS and be relatively secure (nothing is unbreakable but hardening helps a lot). Windows XP board on MSFN is best to ask questions if got any

I also have two Vista laptops. Gifted. One is 32bit the other 64bit. And 3 recently gifted socket 775 desktops without HDD's so they'll be fun projects too. I already mentioned the Win8.1 .. and there's the gaming rig with win10 that's stuck in a bootloop lol fun times.

So anyway...Hello!

sounds familiar:lol:. I got plenty of pending projects and mainboards waiting chassis. For one Windows 95 pc (Slot 1 celeron 266mhz, 256mb ram, Nvidia tnt2, 20gb hdd I ended up painting one damaged and ugly cheap chassis with dark metallic car paint because looked cool:roll1:. I nicknamed that computer to Opel-PC since spray used on it and because it original fans sounded like revving engine

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

13 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

....first of all I would recommend update Internet explorer to support TLS 1.2 and 1.1 even if wont need it since some sw uses ie to connect....

You really think that’s the first thing a newcomer should be advised to attempt? I don’t think so. (He basically needs a better browser than Chrome 49.) But if he decides to take your advice, then he should begin by installing IE8 (having mentioned IE6 in the first post). Will IE8 be a good browser after doing all that? No, and there are only a few TLS 1.2 cipher suites for it. (On the bright side, the cipher suites would then be available for Chrome 49, and I suspect we might have a Chrome diehard on our hands.)

9 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

You really think that’s the first thing a newcomer should be advised to attempt?

I said would recommend not that need to do

(having mentioned IE6 in the first post).

did not notice it

Will IE8 be a good browser after doing all that? No, and there are only a few TLS 1.2 cipher suites for it.

Any Internet explorer version was never good, but some software I use on XP uses Internet exploiter to download plugins and lack of cipher suites caused major issues (include your own downloader to code devs...). It is not to browse web rather fix possible future issues related sw using ie and needing tls 1.1 or 1.2

13 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

You really think that’s the first thing a newcomer should be advised to attempt? I don’t think so. (He basically needs a better browser than Chrome 49.) But if he decides to take your advice, then he should begin by installing IE8 (having mentioned IE6 in the first post). Will IE8 be a good browser after doing all that? No, and there are only a few TLS 1.2 cipher suites for it. (On the bright side, the cipher suites would then be available for Chrome 49, and I suspect we might have a Chrome diehard on our hands.)

I'm not sure how I've irritated you, and I'm sorry for that. I'm not a die-hard for Chrome, as I mentioned in the other post FF broke for me using winXP at around 3.1 and had it not constantly crashed on me, I'd have stuck with it. IE was never an option coz, well, it's IE. Chrome has worked the longest for me, but no longer working well, so time to move on and hopefully importing bookmarks, history, passwords etc won't be too painful. :) 

Thank you @Mr.Scienceman2000 for leading the way. I can see many restore points being made in the coming weeks :D Hopefully I don't break anything :rolleyes:

I don't use an email client, again from the days of never downloading mail, but reading it online paranoia. Pretty sure that option saves me a little data too, since I don't download what I don't read.

Thank you everyone, for making me feel welcome. :blushing:

13 minutes ago, DbLH3liX said:

I don't use an email client, again from the days of never downloading mail, but reading it online paranoia. Pretty sure that option saves me a little data too, since I don't download what I don't read.

I got same but reverse:D. I trust email client more since can force all messages to plaintext and no need load UI over internet.

The second link you gave me leads here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=a44a5d21-93f4-4d05-8028-461efb2f2de9

but it's an update for IE8 (Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4316682))

I'm looking for IE8, but for XP it seems to be gone from the update catalogue. I did find this one:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=fbd8316c-68b4-47c3-8059-b826cc72efc6

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2003

Last Modified: 8/24/2009

Size: 16.1 MB

(KB944036) But the more info button leads into nothingness with a bad gateway error.

Sorry for all the n00b questions, hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward when someone else is new :blushing:

21 minutes ago, DbLH3liX said:

I'm looking for IE8, but for XP it seems to be gone from the update catalogue.

Here is english Internet explorer 8 installer for Windows XP

The second link you gave me leads here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=a44a5d21-93f4-4d05-8028-461efb2f2de9

but it's an update for IE8 (Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4316682))

It is indeed Pos ready 2009 update but pos ready 2009 is same as xp so you can use Posready 2009 updates on xp. You only need This registry file.  Double click it and click yes when asked. Then update will work

Sorry for all the n00b questions, hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward when someone else is new :blushing:

That is not even noob question. I need work with new systems too often and feel like total noob sometimes even though got lot of industry experience :whistle:. Better ask than just do and mess stuff up.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Got locked out for a day, but I'm back now ;)

Thank you again, @Mr.Scienceman2000 On a side note, I recognise the site that that file links to. I have "spoken" to that site owner via youtube comments recently, before finding MSFN. Lovely man, very fast to reply and very helpful ;)

In other news: I turned on WU a few days ago, and curiously woke up the next day to this nag in my systray:

critical update for winxp: KB898461

Details from the WU nag box: Size: 477 KB

This update installs a permanent copy of Package Installer for Windows to enable software updates to have a significantly smaller download size. The Package Installer facilitates the install of software updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems and other Microsoft products. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More info from update catalogue site: 

Description: This update installs a permanent copy of Package Installer for Windows to enable software updates to have a significantly smaller download size. The Package Installer facilitates the install of software updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems and other Microsoft products. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

Architecture: X86

Classification: Critical Updates

Supported products: Windows XP

25/3/2008

Is this an updated msi? I hope it's not a DRM. Is it indeed "critical"? Should I install it now, or should I wait until I've "finished" updating the current version of XP that I have (never really finished tho eh? :huh:)

And yep, that's the ONLY update I've been offered :thumbdown Tho I'm well aware that XP's EOL was lonnnnng ago. (But I'm still offered this one? Weird.)

Thanks again, friends.

Okay so since I can't access anything on https://imgur.com (still in Chrome 49 for now btw) I thought I'd start the update process today. I set a restore point and then went to install IE8. I got the splash screen asking me to install the malicious software tool and updates, but since I wasn't sure about either, I uncheck it, clicked next. It appeared to be installing but then I got an error that it can't be installed, to restart to undo changes and on reboot it offered to send an error report which had appcompat.txt in it. The link the failed install  left on my desktop leads to a page no longer found.

Was I supposed to uninstall IE6 first?

Interestingly on reboot my IE6 now does indeed connect to the internet . It has errored for years, but I don't use IE so didn't bother with it. On launching IE6 by accident (went to press the desktop button) it opened, connected to Google (my home page) and in the options I now have several more TLS's which are checked.

Also on reboot I got another windows update popup with a TON of updates listed. Of course I will go thru this list and decide whether or not to install them. For example, many of the first ones listed are .NET framework 2.0, 3.0..etc and updates to those

Do I still need IE8 or was that the purpose of installing it (get winupdate to work again)?

Did I start the update process in the wrong order? So far I have (and yes, I numbered the order to install in my files :whistle: :

1: 001_IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe

(soooo...I just went to open my list of files, and have just realised maybe it failed because I unplugged the drive that has IE8 on it, maybe that's why...duh)

2: 002_POSReady_updates(install_BEFORE_IE8_CU).reg

3: 003_windowsxp-kb4019276-x86-embedded-enu_(update_for_POSReady_2009).exe

4: 004_ie8-windowsxp-kb4316682-x86-embedded-enu_(CU IE8_POSReady_2009).exe

5: 005_install after IE8 CU.reg

Thanks for everyone's help :D