Protoweb.org - browse web like it would be 1996

Nokiamies

Protoweb is classic web proxy run by volunteers. It goal is to provide range of Classic Internet and Network services for the retro computing community. Sites on service been crawled from archive.org and then reconstructed by volunteers to old glory (fixing downloads, missing images etc.). Service currently provides hundreds of classic webpages and classic ftp sites between 1996-2001.

Using Protoweb does not require any extra software or registaration, you get full access to service just by changing browser proxy settings. All resources on Protoweb are free to access natively on any classic/modern browser supporting http proxies and more is being added.

For more information visit at https://protoweb.org/

5 minutes ago, Mina Sameh said:

I have nothing to say expect that: it's a nice find. I like browsing in the old times. :)

Thanks, also feel free to join project usergroups on site for assistance or talk about protoweb, old web etc (I am on discord group).

10 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Thanks, also feel free to join project usergroups on site for assistance or talk about protoweb, old web etc (I am on discord group).

You're welcome. Also, nah thanks, I am actually going to try what the start guide tells me. 

45 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

ok if any problems let me know

Ok, but actually I don't have any problems with it.

Here (note: I tested this in sandbox):

spacer.png

I bet others are gonna be interested in this as well.

8 minutes ago, Mina Sameh said:

Ok, but actually I don't have any problems with it.

Here (note: I tested this in sandbox):

good it is working for you

Also in case anyone else got old machine without network card and would want use it Protoweb (like me) or just want enjoy going internet with Dial-up connection experience for nostalgia you can use virtual PPP serial modem running on raspberry pi or other linux system. It can do speeds up to 115200bps and works with standard Dial-up software. I am currently using it to browse Protoweb on my Digital Venturis 466 computer running Netscape Navigator 3 Gold on Windows 3.11 WFW. Dial-up is being handled by Trumpet Winsock. It also works natively with Windows 95 and higher built in Microsoft Dial-up networking