Why is Internet Explorer still inbuilt in Windows 10?

bookie32

Hi guys!

I know this question has been asked...but has anyone any idea why Internet Explorer is still part of Windows 10?

I found a little reason why today when trying to help a customer with Office for home and business 2010...

Yes....I know it is old and there is no support anymore for it but "if it works don't fix it" comes to mind....

I installed started her new computer recently and installed all programs that she uses...

I also make it a habit to deactivate Internet Explorer as a matter of course.....why have something that has no support and customers can't do bank errands via Internet Explorer....

My customer had had a problem for a while but let it go because of work pressure....

Today she contacted me because of not being able to open certain links in Outlook.....

The error was something like this:

"The operation has been interrupted due to computer limitations. Contact your system administrator"

I tried checking default web browser settings and other settings that others have said...no joy....

I was going to give up but though about reactivating Internet Explorer and that fixed the problem....must be code in Outlook 2010 and Internet Explorer?

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

14 hours ago, bookie32 said:

I also make it a habit to deactivate Internet Explorer as a matter of course.....why have something that has no support and customers can't do bank errands via Internet Explorer....

all uninstall does is removing Iexplorer.exe stub since it is baked in to windows deeply since 1997. Microsoft edge will replace on upcoming update then have different thing baked in to OS unremovably.

14 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Today she contacted me because of not being able to open certain links in Outlook.....

The error was something like this:

"The operation has been interrupted due to computer limitations. Contact your system administrator"

I tried checking default web browser settings and other settings that others have said...no joy....

I was going to give up but though about reactivating Internet Explorer and that fixed the problem....must be code in Outlook 2010 and Internet Explorer?

bookie32

Is it outlook 2010? If so it uses Internet explorer render engine and may not like stub being removed so can you try with IE enabled?

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

9 hours ago, jumper said:

Do the linked pages open in ie or embedded in Outlook?

What all do you mean by "deactivate Internet Explorer"?

Control panel > Programs and features > Disable and Enable Windows functions....

The links are embedded in the email and no they don't try to open Internet Explorer

Sorry too many years in Sweden....forget my English....lol

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

all uninstall does is removing Iexplorer.exe stub since it is baked in to windows deeply since 1997. Microsoft edge will replace on upcoming update then have different thing baked in to OS unremovably.

Is it outlook 2010? If so it uses Internet explorer render engine and may not like stub being removed so can you try with IE enabled?

Sorry for my word choice....been living in Sweden too long...

Control panel > Programs and features > Disable and Enable Windows functions....

Office Home and Business 2010 has Outlook 2010 as part of the programs you can use....

I had a feeling that Outlook 2010 must use something in Internet Explorer....

If they remove the Internet Explorer stub in a new version of Windows 10 (which I might point out has been discussed for ever) then she will need to upgrade her office version to a newer one...and like I said "if it works don't fix it".... There are many threads about problems with all office versions after 2010 and I have customers coming to me all the time with 365 problems.....so I said to her keep it as long as it works and when it doesn't we can update to a newer one...

And as stated I enabled Internet Explorer again so all is right with the world...

My thread title was more of a rhetorical one....

bookie32

Time to laugh! Internet Explorer is still supported!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/internet-explorer-11

Some web applications only work with Internet Explorer. I have to deal with one at work every week. A big company that may have found it easier to put some cash on Microsoft's table to make them continue to support their old browser, than rewriting their applications.

46 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Some web applications only work with Internet Explorer. I have to deal with one at work every week. A big company that may have found it easier to put some cash on Microsoft's table to make them continue to support their old browser, than rewriting their applications.

Same here, only way access on switch control panel on web is using Active X and Internet Explorer. Could use old FF if it could work on java but no. Only where need use it. Atleast they got rid of outlook 2003 web and Project server 2003 since needed Internet Explorer and had some issues on newer IE. Web is built on open standards but open standards are not compatible with internet explorer. I hope we would finally get some proper open web standard and not invent new ones every day (like google does now causing sites on other browsers/older Google chrome to break after every new HTML5 standard they make)

1 hour ago, bookie32 said:

as stated I enabled Internet Explorer again so all is right with the world...

My thread title was more of a rhetorical one....

that is most annyoing thing about unneccessary depencies. Whenever they drop IE it might even render some games unusable. Internet Explorer depency to everything was huge mistake in my opinion. Outlook 97 did fine with no IE

IE (or the components within it) became intertwined into the OS perhaps as far back as IE4. And as time went on and when the OS came with it, more and more functionality we pushed through the IE engine. Windows 10 is a giant kludge of updates going back years as MS has never started over. Layers upon layers of things added on to get where we are today. Many of the features from old OSes are still in Windows 10, even if they are no longer used or not apparent. We are basically at a point where Windows would not operate if the Internet Explorer components were fully removed from the system.

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

IE (or the components within it) became intertwined into the OS perhaps as far back as IE4. And as time went on and when the OS came with it, more and more functionality we pushed through the IE engine. Windows 10 is a giant kludge of updates going back years as MS has never started over. Layers upon layers of things added on to get where we are today. Many of the features from old OSes are still in Windows 10, even if they are no longer used or not apparent. We are basically at a point where Windows would not operate if the Internet Explorer components were fully removed from the system.

YES!! You have hit the nail on the head....so "The biggest crap ever" lives up to its name....;)

bookie32

Microsoft likes to introduce new things, and either forget that it exists or forget what you were previously using exists. As Tripredacus said, Windows 10 is just a giant clump if every Windows version shoved together in a 3-5GB ISO that you have to download twice a year or reinstall your PC twice a year because more and more updates get added to the mess until your PC's SSD wants to eject itself from your PC because your 5 years of this has written 50TB to it.

Don't even have to mention how HDDs feel.

The funny thing is that it seems like the features we need the most are the ones that are changed, and the ones absolutely no one uses aren't.

Edited by Tonny52

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

Microsoft likes to introduce new things, and either forget that it exists or forget what you were previously using exists. As Tripredacus said, Windows 10 is just a giant clump if every Windows version shoved together in a 3-5GB ISO that you have to download twice a year or reinstall your PC twice a year because more and more updates get added to the mess until your PC's SSD wants to eject itself from your PC because your 5 years of this has written 50TB to it.

Don't even have to mention how HDDs feel.

The funny thing is that it seems like the features we need the most are the ones that are changed, and the ones absolutely no one uses aren't.

I totally agree with you....just don't think Microsoft will change.....

bookie32

They probably wont change, which is why most people who want control of their PC have to chug along with older Windows, deal with 10 or move to Linux distros like Mint or Arch, since those are by smaller companies. Canonical fell to what Microsoft started doing.

9 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

They probably wont change, which is why most people who want control of their PC have to chug along with older Windows, deal with 10 or move to Linux distros like Mint or Arch, since those are by smaller companies. Canonical fell to what Microsoft started doing.

that's why i don't use ubuntu anymore they only care about what they want not you

Edited by legacyfan

12 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

A lot of companies here in Sweden don't trust Microsoft with their security....Several use Redhat now...Ubuntu is a disgrace to the Linux community!

bookie32

14 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

what is most stupid is removing some simple useless component ubuntu wants force to your causes whole DE flagged to be removal. Same wont happen on mint or debian or anything else with same

2 hours ago, bookie32 said:

A lot of companies here in Sweden don't trust Microsoft with their security....Several use Redhat now...Ubuntu is a disgrace to the Linux community!

it is because companies do not care about privacy, security or customer opinions. They care about increase shareholder value at any cost good examples being ads everywhere on windows, forcing ms account even to simple tasks and on ubuntu side was Amazon spyware preinstalled on systems.

I wish companies and others here would do same and stop using Windows, but no since "Linux is unknown and nerd os". Redhat is way better than Windows 10 for security, privacy and reliability

I personally run pure Debian with XCFE for having full control over my system. Volunteer made projects rarely does anything bad.