Can my 2006 Laptop use Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD?

we3fan

Hi guys, I use Win XP Pro x86, my Laptop is from 2006, SATA 2 max speed, Motherboard ASUS Z96JS:

Motherboard.JPG.ae338cfab00bb12f2da57a354a832589.JPG

I want to try SSD on it for the first time, I plan to buy Samsung 860 EVO 500GB.
Can my Laptop recognize the Samsung 860 EVO and work OK with it?
Or should I buy another SSD model?

Thanks for your time.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, my motherboard is from 2009 and works with SSDs absolutely fine, but not at their maximum capable transfer speed of course.
An SSD should appear to the system exactly the same as a conventional drive.
One of my SSDS is 465GB and there is no problem with it.
All my SSDs are Sandisk, but I can't think that the brand would make any difference.
You would need a program to TRIM the drive though, as you're probably aware, you should never run legacy defrag programs on an SSD!
Windows XP cannot TRIM drives like later versions of Windows of course, as SSD support was never added.
:)

Samsung 860 EVO appears to be a SATA SSD. As for whether there is something particular with the disk that will make it so that it will not function properly in the notebook, it is difficult to tell. I can't really find anyone trying to use the two things together. On the surface I would say there would be no issue, but know that saying this isn't an endorement that it will work.

The one thing that I can tell you about this is that your notebook's drive bay was specifically designed for whatever size HDD it was sold with. Be aware that some SSDs are actually thinner than HDDs. The difference may be that if there are any pads on the drive chassis (if it uses one) they may not be sufficient to keep the SSD from moving. You may need to use additional padding. You won't know this until you get the drive in hand and try to install it.

FWIW my very underpowered Asus netbook's performance noticeably improved when I changed the hard drive for an SSD.
If nothing else, I assume that it makes swapfile usage pretty much as fast as RAM access.
I never actually benchmarked it, but in real use it seemed significantly more responsive.
Sadly the processor is still rubbish, so I can't do much else!
:lol:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

FWIW my very underpowered Asus netbook's performance noticeably improved when I changed the hard drive for an SSD.
If nothing else, I assume that it makes swapfile usage pretty much as fast as RAM access.
I never actually benchmarked it, but in real use it seemed significantly more responsive.
Sadly the processor is still rubbish, so I can't do much else!
:lol:

So I am not only "crazy" to slap ssd to netbook:D. I got Asus EEEPC 900 with 900mhz celeron M. Installed 256gb kingston UV500 Msata ssd (which was cheapest Msata SSD here) with adapter to it propieraty SSD connector. Cpu cannot run many videos or codecs fine but it makes very nice small portable movie player with Kodi with dvd quality videos:lol:. It also sounds like drill if do anything using cpu due fan desing:lol:.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Thanks guys, all good advice.

I ordered the SSD, I will report the performance when it arrives.

The HDD I use now is WD Blue 500GB 2.5", quick google search for dimensions: 3.94 x 2.75 x 0.28 inches, 0.28 inches = 7.112 mm.
Quick google search for SSD Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" dimensions: 100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm).
But as Tripredacus said, I will know for sure when I get the drive and try to install it.
In case it DOES need additional padding, do I need to buy something specific or I can improvise and make something myself?

Yes, do let us know how it goes!

If your laptop has to be dismantled to get at the drive I think you'll almost certainly be OK as the drive will very likely be secured by screws into its sides, which should be fine as the spacing should be the same on the SSD as on the original conventional hard drive.
If however the drive is accessible though a door in the bottom of the machine, as Tripdredacus said it may need additional support.
:)

My computer is a laptop also. Dell Latitude D620 - and i was able to replace the hard drive a few years ago with a SSD too. i have the Samsung 850 Evo (just 10 below the one you said) and it's working fine with windows XP.

I just literally used one of those "clone hard drive" programs when i first bought the SSD. I dont remember what program i used. But i "cloned" the hard drive to the new fresh out of the box 850 Evo, and then after setting up the correct "alignment" thing or something like that, it worked just fine in this laptop. Did not want to go through the headache or re-installing 6 years worth of programs, settings, etc.

All i know was i had to kinda insert it backwards compared to the hard drive or upside-down or something like that, not sure how to describe it. for it to fit into the slot.

Edited by kuja killer

@kasfruit, I respectfully disagree. The question was ''Can my 2006 Laptop use Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD?'' NOT ''Can my 2006 Laptop use Samsung Magician?'' To my knowledge, Magician is NOT required in order to use the 860 EVO SSD. Magician might offer some extra optimizations, but they are not required. Please explain, with appropriate references to Samsung documentation, if I am mistaken. While I have used the Samsung 850, 860, and 870 SSDs, it has always been with Win 7. I have not used any SSD with XP, so I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Cheers and Regards

3 hours ago, kasfruit said:

NO it can't. The last version of Magician utility for XP does only support the 850/950 SSD

then how can I use samsung ssd with my Windows 98 computer :dubbio:. SSD or hdd wont need driver, however interface it is connected (sata, m2, msata) needs

54 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

Magician is NOT required in order to use the 860 EVO SSD. Magician might offer some extra optimizations, but they are not required.

magician atleast on my experience offered drive health and ability trigger trim to ssd but modern SSD got good garbage collector built in so trim is not neccessary and crystaldiskinfo shows drive health as well

5 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

then how can I use samsung ssd with my Windows 98 computer :dubbio:.

Maybe you are yourself the Magician? :w00t: ;)

:buehehe:

The real (good?) question might be "Does it make sense to use a top-performing SSD on a SATA II bus?" :dubbio:

Or would using an el-cheapo "normal" SSD be more than enough?

And do you really-really *need* a 500 GB SSD (on an old laptop)?

jaclaz

49 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

And do you really-really *need* a 500 GB SSD (on an old laptop)?

I bought 1tb wd black mobile hard drive to my 2006 laptop running Windows XP professional (HP Compaq nc6320) :rolleyes:. Depending from use it may be needed. For example I got truckloads of movies, videos, music, games, software on mine also multiple virtual machines. I like that laptop for being "tank" (strong, thick and durable case), size of it and weight. Hard to find modern laptop that is as durable without breaking bank

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I bought 1tb wd black mobile hard drive to my 2006 laptop running Windows XP professional (HP Compaq nc6320) :rolleyes:. Depending from use it may be needed. For example I got truckloads of movies, videos, music, games, software on mine also multiple virtual machines. I like that laptop for being "tank" (strong, thick and durable case), size of it and weight. Hard to find modern laptop that is as durable without breaking bank

Sure, to each his/her own :).

jaclaz