microsoft shelves Windows 10x It is not Shipping in 2021 from petri.com

legacyfan

this article is from petri.com written by unknown (https://petri.com/microsoft-shelves-windows-10x-it-is-not-shipping-in-2021 link to original article)

Back in the fall of 2019, Microsoft held a Surface event that will likely go down in history as one of the most ambitious announcements from the company. At the keynote, Microsoft unveiled three new products that were not only completely new for the company but also pushed them in a bold new direction.

The Surface Duo, Surface Neo, and Windows 10X grabbed all the headlines; Microsoft was shoved into the limelight with a folding phone, a folding PC, and a new OS. But as time moved forward, the reality of these ambitious projects turned sour.

Of the three projects, the Surface Duo did arrive in all of its Android glory. Running a Google-created OS, the Surface Duo delivered on its promise to create a foldable device made of the same premium-lineage of the Surface brand but the highlights were short-lived.

Windows 10X desktop with centered icons on the taskbar.

Not long after shipping, Microsoft stopped promoting the device, updates were slow to arrive, and the future of significant software updates (moving to newer versions of Android) is unknown.

But the Surface Neo was met with a different fate. The device that was going to run Microsoft’s new 10X operating system was delayed and the OS was pushed down a different path. Instead of initially be designed for dual-screened devices, Microsoft would develop 10X for single-screened experiences first and that was the end of the Surface Neo shipping anytime soon.

As we head into the spring of 2021, the plans are changing again for the OS. According to people familiar with the company’s plans, Microsoft will not be shipping Windows 10X this year and the OS as you know it today, will likely never arrive. The company has shifted resources to Windows 10 and 10X is on the back burner, for now.

For about a decade, Microsoft has been trying to modernize Windows in various ways. We have seen Windows RT, Windows 10S, and now Windows 10X. The question becomes if there really is a future for anything other than traditional Windows 10? Microsoft said during their last earnings call that there were 1.3 billion active devices are running the OS each month and with that context in mind, does there really need to be a ‘lite’ version of the OS?

Windows 10X Start menu featured a new design that filled the entire screen.

It’s a fair question at this point because Microsoft’s history of trying to overhaul Windows is a journey down a road with many headstones along the way to 2021.

The reality is that if Microsoft is going to invest heavily in a modern version of Windows 10, it should be to run Windows 10 on ARM. A watered-down version of the OS to compete against Chromebooks is not working out today, much like it has not worked out in the past and it may never work out either but the future is hard to predict.

While Windows 10 was put in the backseat for the past couple of years and many looked at 10X as a possible revival of excitement for the OS, all eyes should now be focused on Sun Valley – the next major update to Windows 10. If something is going to return the limelight to Windows, it has to be Sun Valley because that’s the only thing left.

But just because 10X isn’t coming to market anytime soon, the technologies that were built for 10X are migrating to Windows 10. Not everything from 10X will show up in 10 but I would expect to see things like UI updates, app containers, and more arrive in Windows 10.

There are many reasons why 10X isn’t coming to market including the fact that the timing and market conditions are working against Microsoft. It’s already hard enough to find new PCs and introducing a new type of device, with a new OS, to a market that only wants traditional Windows 10, is a tough pill to swallow. There are other realities as well, many inside the company didn’t believe that the OS was ready to start shipping and that customer feedback was not aligned to the product that they were producing.

Windows 10X app switcher view.

When talking with people familiar with Microsoft’s plans, customers were not looking for a solution that Windows 10X would solve, what they want are Windows 10X features brought to Windows 10. The benefit of Windows 10 is the flexibility that it provides, 10X worked against that narrative and the decision was made to put the OS on the backburner.

For Windows enthusiasts, this will likely be a disappointment and for Microsoft, they would love a time machine to go back to the 2019 keynote and pull out the Neo and 10X from that presentation. But the reality is that at least Microsoft made the decision to move forward without 10X as we know it today, otherwise they would be in the awkward position of supporting the OS because it was afraid of making tough decisions.

There may be a future where 10X makes sense, but that future is not in 2021 and may not ever arrive. The roadmap for Windows 10X is uncertain but look for Microsoft to make more formal announcements about the fate of the OS in the near future.

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to microsoft shelves Windows 10x It is not Shipping in 2021 from petri.com

Microsoft is very similar to Google with their products. KilledByGoogle is a notable statement because Google has killed many products, the least lasting being just a few months until it was discontinued. Microsoft does a similar tactic, where they launch services then after a while want to kill them. Cortana launched in 2014 (and earlier on mobile) but was recently discontinued by Satya himself, stating that he does not vision it being a competitor. 1903 removed Cortana from the OOBE, and moved it to a seperate app that can be uninstalled with Powershell. The Xbox Kinect launched around 2010 with the release of the Xbox 360 Slim, but then was discontinued around 2014 when the Xbox One had no use for it even though it had it. Microsoft likes launching things then killing them the same way Google does because they don't want to continue it or lose motivation. They really want to get rid of Windows, and definitely have showed that they are attempting to, which is why the only reason Sun Valley exists is because they want to show that they care just a little bit. Windows has no idea what it wants to be, if it wants to be a mobile OS, desktop OS, laptop OS, or server OS. Microsoft wants to be all of them even though Microsoft proved that its better off to keep it all seperate. I have fears of ARM going to PCs because I am afraid that means everyone will be running Android or iOS on their computers, which I hate because it means the end of normal desktop computing with a keyboard and mouse as everything moves over to touchscreens. Linux has proven to be the dominant in the server and mobile world, and Microsoft knows it with their Surface phone and Azure. As far as laptops and desktops go, they have ran the same OS for the past few years, but clearly development in Microsoft since Windows 8.0 has been laptop-oritented. People don't care anymore because its been going on for almost a decade now. Windows 10X will never make sense. It is just a project that Microsoft wanted to do so they can take over the education department that they have been losing since the release of Windows 8. The enterprise world has slowly been moving their way to Linux (my dad's office is 100% CentOS and Ubuntu), my school has mentioned about moving their machines to Ubuntu Education LTS so they don't have to image as often. Windows 7 and XP were the two perfect operating systems for the world. Ever since then, its been a downfall of people leaving Windows. The reason 10 is on 1.3 billion machines is because most people don't care. But the majority of people who do care probably still use 7, moved to macOS, chromeOS or Linux.

I don't care that 10X is not coming in 2021. I had no intent of using it, and I doubt anyone did. It cant even run win32 apps anyway, and UWP is a failing platform. If Microsoft ever forces consumers to use Windows 10 without win32 support, thats the final straw. Windows has been on a downfall since 2012 with the pinnacle of that downfall starting in 2018 with 1809 and still ongoing. People for SOME reason forgave Microsoft on the whole 1809 fiasco. 

On 5/8/2021 at 10:13 PM, Tonny52 said:

I have fears of ARM going to PCs because I am afraid that means everyone will be running Android or iOS on their computers, which I hate because it means the end of normal desktop computing with a keyboard and mouse as everything moves over to touchscreens. Linux has proven to be the dominant in the server and mobile world, and Microsoft knows it with their Surface phone and Azure.

"It is because tablet/toy cellphone can do everything desktop pc can and pc is dead". I hate that argument. What they even mean by everything? Scroll facebook, twitter, watch videos? Sure but how about virtualisation or software developing properly. I am afraid market will more and more shift torwards locked down toy cell phones. Too many things require one already. Even as simple as ac devices lacks option to manually control and need smartphone and app to do simple task. I have gave tablets and toy cell phones shot once and they did not pass my test (was tired of advertising baked in and lack of easy user repairs

,but clearly development in Microsoft since Windows 8.0 has been laptop-oritented. 

*but clearly development in Microsoft since Windows 8.0 has been tablet or other touchscreen-oritented.

The enterprise world has slowly been moving their way to Linux (my dad's office is 100% CentOS and Ubuntu), my school has mentioned about moving their machines to Ubuntu Education LTS so they don't have to image as often.

i really hope my workplace would do the same. I am annyoyed by windows and it preinstalled bundleware. Candy crush, xbox or other apps got no place on enterprise environment.

Windows 7 and XP were the two perfect operating systems for the world. Ever since then, its been a downfall of people leaving Windows. The reason 10 is on 1.3 billion machines is because most people don't care. But the majority of people who do care probably still use 7, moved to macOS, chromeOS or Linux.

^this. Windows XP or 7 had their bad things (ie: IE, Product activation etc.), but they made life so much easier on enterprise environments. Microsoft Deployment toolkit, remote install, system shadow copy for shared folders, software centre, windows update server. Some of those who did not like it likely had no pain deal without them on enterprise. Also some criticise it eye candy (Windows XP luna theme aka "bozo the clown theme" and Windows 7 Aero) but atleast it can be disabled on both Windows XP and Windows 7 so can choose eyecandy (like I do) or classic style.

People for SOME reason forgave Microsoft on the whole 1809 fiasco. 

They forgave Internet Exploder forcing and bundling, DRM issue breaking some music on Windows Vista since bug, Windows Genuine advantage breaking and rendering all Windows XP (if wga tool was installed) and vista systems as non genuine, replacing proper UI with metro which is like using Windows 1.0 again, forcing Windows 10 upgrade against user will and breaking lot stuff, Windows 10 activation servers breaking, constant OS breakups and list goes on...

Peoples are too blind to see fact it is not ok.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000