why, when i reboot the computer, with pen drive connected(maybe with other external disk) the startup stops?

Joaquim

I haven't got a working system myself to know if the USB patches offered online fix the bootup issue, but I think 98SESP3 and NUSB33 are my best guesses. Make sure to read everything before running something tho, since I'm clueless

i update it to NUSB36e(before was 33)..

the probem was not fixed :(

i need ask more 1 thing: before i install the NUSB33, i must Remove all "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and then install it..

but some can freeze windows.. what you can advice me about it?

(it's installed, but geting more information is the best)

Edited by Joaquim

I haven't found a solution for the long startup time when a USB pendrive is connected. Is it really stuck for you, or just takes a long time to start up? I haven't encountered USB pendrives making 98SE unbootable.

I think it is a hardware issue with the USB controller. Best to exercise the USB ports then update the driver,- reinstall. Make sure you can read/write to all sectors of the flash drive or try another one.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Can I ask specs of your hardware? What chipset, what board, any external usb controllers? Also is system OEM prebbuilt or custom build?

I have found that exact issue on DELL and IBM/Lenovo boards (thinkcentre m62, optiplex gx260, optiplex gx620) with intel 845, 915 or 945 chipsets. It hangs on reboot if usb pendrive, usb modem or other is connected on Windows 98SE.

It has not happened any other of my boards only those OEM ones. Only answer I found is not to have usb plugged in. It is bios bug likely