Any way to make incompatible Graphics driver compatible?

yoltboy01

Hey guys.

It's late and I was curious to know if it possible to make an incompatible graphics card driver compatible with Windows 10? My graphics is: 

Intel GMA 3150 (Netbook)

It was updated in late 2010 or 2011 for the last time and only supports XP up to Windows 10 (1511) 

Starting with 1607, everything just feels very buggy, no menu loads up fluently and the whole experience is a mess. I also noticed the same issue with Windows 8, after installing patches after 2019. It's not as bad as it is with Windows 10, however the charms bar doesnt show up fluently or the Apps start like there are only standard WDM Drivers installed. 

Is there any way how to run newer W10 versions?

• 1 month later...

Windows 10 builds after 1607 no longer support older methods of driver signing, just the latest that was introduced with Windows 8. What happens is that when the driver installer is run, Windows allows it to go through the motions but silently blocks copying the files and making changes to the Registry. If you extract the driver and attempt to install through Device Manager, you'll get an unable to find file "error".

So on an old computer, especially a laptop, what you do is do a clean install of 1607 and get all the drivers installed. Then make an image backup.

Your next stop is updating to 1903 or 1909. Why? Because 2004 and 20H2 won't update 1803 or earlier. The installer will flat out lie and say all is well, go through the whole setup, then fail with a bogus "error" about PC Settings or something, then roll back. A bit of searching online revealed the issue was requiring 1903 or later, which the 2004 and newer setups should have been programmed to detect and tell the user at the beginning.

After you get 1903 or 1909 (I recommend 1909) installed, make another image backup.

Now try installing 20H2, with internet access so it can download needed updates during install. If by now it's still not working on some computers it probably will never work on them. If 20H2 doesn't work, try 2004, then 20H2 again. I had to wait quite a while before it would update 2004 on my Dell laptop.

Got 20H2 on it? Make another image backup. These image backups will save you hours the next time you need to do a clean install. Keep the 1607 image in case you need to install some more hardware that newer builds won't allow the drivers to install.

The main issue seems to be with older video drivers, especially for discreet GPUs in laptops.