Microsoft expiring SHA-1 updates; Will this kill XP?

sunryze

7 hours ago, i430VX said:

And why is this certificate expiry the death of Windows XP? (hint - it's not - almost nothing will change)

Only issue I could see is possible driver errors (due signatures) on any newer drivers made after that date to xp but it will likely just trigger signature warning about not passing XP logo test (like some devs actually cared sign their drivers to XP after 2014). Second may be warning on starting application made after date that will happen anyway in 99% of sw but it wont kill XP.

9 hours ago, legacyfan said:

in 2 hours is the sha1 certificate expire date this really is the end for it r.i.p windows xp  2001-2021 :(

mine is still kicking strong. It did not explode, can still access web, install files

I'd bet some people here were thinking ... dang, I hope something knocked out my computer Lol; but nope. "Feelin' Groovy on my old Dell Dimension 3000 (from 2004) this morning. Sorry, you'll have to sneak in my home and poison my coffee to get rid of me. :hello:

4 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

reminds me from Y2K lol

2000 - MSDOS y2k

2011 - Windows 9x and NT4 y2k

2020 and 2021 - Windows NT5 y2k

That certificate thing for me said it's at around 4:25 PM later this afternoon. i only found so far that it was listed directly on internet explorer.exe when right clicking on it then checking the "digitinal signatures" tab

but i am still worried though because of that one website saying "all major microsoft services and processes" :( 

Edited by kuja killer

15 minutes ago, kuja killer said:

but i am still worried though because of that one website saying "all major microsoft services and processes" :( 

unless you use microsoft applications that needs internet connections (as far as know all those dropped xp support) there is no worry. Just use MyPal or Newmoon webbrowser and Mailnews email client and you will be fine

Oh so its only just related to stuff requiring internet access ? So im not going to get any like "program failed to start" popups or anything like that with IE or anything else ? That was the kind of thing that really was in my mind. the thought of something like programs not working or something. well IE is the only thing i can think of for anything internet related nothing else, i think.

Well i use MIRC for talking in 1 chat room, and linked to twitch.tv stream chats. And streamlink for watching twitch streams. those aren't microsoft-only programs at least.

I thought other things were going to break all of a sudden on me like Visual Basic 6 (which i use sometimes for a game level editor of mine) or my gaming emulators (nes/snes/gameboy/etc) ..sorry if that sounds really silly. :| I did not really know.

Edited by kuja killer

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Only issue I could see is possible driver errors (due signatures) on any newer drivers made after that date to xp but it will likely just trigger signature warning about not passing XP logo test (like some devs actually cared sign their drivers to XP after 2014). Second may be warning on starting application made after date that will happen anyway in 99% of sw but it wont kill XP.

No. The driver sigs are timestamped. Check out your drivers with "valid" signatures, that don't complain about being unsigned... You'll be surprised to see many or even most have expired certificates. For these, it only matters if the certificate was good at the time of signing.
Anyone besides M$ can still SHA-1 code sign executables if they want to.

19 minutes ago, kuja killer said:

Oh so its only just related to stuff requiring internet access ? So im not going to get any like "program failed to start" popups or anything like that with IE or anything else ? That was the kind of thing that really was in my mind. the thought of something like programs not working or something. well IE is the only thing i can think of for anything internet related nothing else, i think.

No. This certificate does not affect web browsing or internet connections as it is for completely unrelated things than that.

Edited by i430VX

2 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Nothing has changed, no signatures have disappeared, neither for the drivers, nor for updates. It looks like the panic was in vain.

Honestly, since I was able to find that Technet article describing the KBs which give the various XP versions SHA-2 functionality, I wasn't worried. Far as I'm concerned, we had our answer: XP may not have initially come with SHA-2 support, but Microsoft provided some functionality in later updates. Especially once people tracked down the relevant updates and put them up for download.

If something happens, I've got the installation on hand. And we've got @legacyfan and @erpdude8 to thank for that.

2 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Nothing has changed, no signatures have disappeared, neither for the drivers, nor for updates. It looks like the panic was in vain.

1-2.jpg2-2.jpg3-2.jpg

I actually read one of Microsoft's articles, and they're going to block everything sha-1 blocked. I tried a beta insider and I had to start windows in mode without signature verification, since in Windows 10 20H2 it lets me use my Wireless but not in 21H2. This will affect those of us who use older hardware if we need to update to the upcoming versions of Windows 10. But I still use Windows 10 1511 since it is very stable on my computer with 4GB of RAM, SandyBridge and an HDD since I can dual-boot with XP or 2000.

Regarding the updates, nothing was affected despite the fact that they mentioned the services and processes. For me they already gave the final grim reaper to XP when they eliminated TLS 1.0 support and the need for the elliptic curve.

8 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

Honestly, since I was able to find that Technet article describing the KBs which give the various XP versions SHA-2 functionality, I wasn't worried. Far as I'm concerned, we had our answer: XP may not have initially come with SHA-2 support, but Microsoft provided some functionality in later updates. Especially once people tracked down the relevant updates and put them up for download.

If something happens, I've got the installation on hand. And we've got @legacyfan and @erpdude8 to thank for that.

thanks!:cool:-legacyfan