Modern Sleep (S0 Low Power) sucks.

sunryze

Recently, a friend of mine bought a new Ryzen 4700U laptop. Believe its the Dell Inspiron 5505. When he first got it he never noticed it because it apperantly worked fine when he didn't have much applications installed. But over time, he started noticing that when he puts it in sleep mode, the fan never shuts off. In fact, he ran a powercfg command and it only returned one option. Moden Standby (S0 Low Power Mode). He has explained that this is why his backpack is always hot when he gets back from school, and why the laptop is hot as well. He put it in "sleep" overnight, and it was at 75%. The next morning, it was at 3% and thats how he found out it never goes to sleep. All sleep does on modern laptops (from basically any manufacturer) is turn off the display and slow down the CPU. But because Windows is a multipurpose OS running on a billion different devices, their implimentation of it sucks, therefore it has been known on many, many forums to be a buggy, power consuming mess. And even if you think "Oh you can probably disable it". You can't since 2004. Microsoft has removed the ability since 2004. Because of this, it also broke the ability Linux has to go to sleep too! Because its "there" but not enabled, Linux will just hang trying to go to sleep. And to make it work, every time you want to go to sleep you have to run 50 different commands before it finally works. This S0 Low Power thing also means that trying to use older versions of Windows at this point on laptops (maybe even some desktops!) you will just not have sleep at all. I get it that most smartphones are able to do this fine, but thats because the OEM can customize the images! Apple is able to do this because they make their hardware and only them. Android is able to do this because its FOSS and OEMs can build their own images and modify the way they do sleep! But Microsoft does not let OEMs make custom images modifying the windows system because its "against their terms of service" so the OEMs have to pray that their hardware will cooperate fine with Microsoft. The most the OEMs for Windows can do is install programs + drivers and maybe set a desktop background.

This is obsurd and extremely frustrating. MY PC IS NOT A PHONE

Edited by Tonny52

23 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

But IF it was a phone, it would have had sleep working .... :dubbio:

It's no surprise. Microsoft since Windows 8 has been trying to turn the PC into a phone so they can dominate the mobile market. Microsoft needs to realize that they don't have the same userbase as Apple and Google. I will accept Modern Sleep when my PC is able to sit in it for days on end and only lose a few percent every few days.

Edited by Tonny52

Would any of these help? If not for the laptop in question, maybe it's still of use on another piece of hardware.

New registry setting to disable modern standby:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Power]
"PlatformAoAcOverride"=dword:00000000

EFI program that patches ACPI tables to disable modern standby:

https://github.com/ElectronicElephant/Modern-Standby-Byby

16 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Would any of these help? If not for the laptop in question, maybe it's still of use on another piece of hardware.

New registry setting to disable modern standby:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Power]
"PlatformAoAcOverride"=dword:00000000

EFI program that patches ACPI tables to disable modern standby:

The registry key only works on 1909 or older. Considering how most modern computers don't even support 1809 or older that well (im looking at nvidia) its not really a good way. Plus, MSFT removed the ability to do that in 2004.

As far as an EFI program, all it does is remove the S0 sleep. This does not fix the problem that S3 sleep just doesn't exist anymore. A friend I know tried this, they said after using this it just says that the firmware does not support sleep.

From what I could gather, CsEnabled setting doesn't work since 2004, but some users reported success with PlatformAoAcOverride on 20H2. But what do I know, my HW only knows real S3 sleep mode. Obviously tinkering with Windows settings won't help if the issue is at the lower level.

Edited by UCyborg

I find it hard to believe that the system does not support hibernate. I would suspect there is something wrong with the system or that the BIOS isn't set properly.

None of the notebooks I work with have this type of issue. If I were to come across a notebook that did not suspend properly, I would contact the manufacturer support and/or issue an RMA.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:37 AM, Tripredacus said:

I find it hard to believe that the system does not support hibernate. I would suspect there is something wrong with the system or that the BIOS isn't set properly.

I second that, Tripredacus

even my dad's Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A 2013 laptop (used to have Win8.1 pre-installed) which is currently running Win10 Home x64 v2004 build 19041.928 have no problems going into and out of hibernation mode.  the Toshiba laptop already has latest BIOS and recent amd radeon graphics & newest Realtek audio/LAN/Wireless drivers installed

maybe OP has either a bios problem or a driver problem on the laptop that prevented proper hibernation

Edited by erpdude8

On 4/30/2021 at 4:03 PM, erpdude8 said:

I second that, Tripredacus

even my dad's Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A 2013 laptop (used to have Win8.1 pre-installed) which is currently running Win10 Home x64 v2004 build 19041.928 have no problems going into and out of hibernation mode.  the Toshiba laptop already has latest BIOS and recent amd radeon graphics & newest Realtek audio/LAN/Wireless drivers installed

maybe OP has either a bios problem or a driver problem on the laptop that prevented proper hibernation

Sleep is a button to press, but all it does is turn off the screen. He contacted Dell, they told him that this laptop is fitted with modern sleep, and when asked if legacy sleep is possible, they said that option has been removed from the system and it cannot go into sleep mode. The only similar option they said was to hibernate the system or shut down. Modern sleep seems to be a Dell thing on systems 2020 and newer.

Disabling modern standby still does not fix the problem that this system's firmware even on Linux and other systems of the same model, prevents the system from going into S3 sleep.

Here, a ton of other people have the same problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/how-to-disable-modern-standby-in-windows-10-may/db950560-33da-4a90-8340-b1f181f5efe6

Edited by Tonny52

@Tonny52 is absolutely right , nothing can be done , except returning that nasty thing back to the store. And for those who gives examples "with 8.1 preinstalled" , jusk think how old that laptop is . It's totally irrelevant . I can confirm , my friend bought Dell (not with Windows 8.1 in 2013) , but recently , and the ugly "feature" is there , had to return it.

Not for the faint of heart, but it does seem to work (I got no way to test, having no recent machines, shunning post Phenom AMDs & Windows 10):

Then, there is this one. They say that the intersting part is obsolete, but I think its not, actually. Of course, this is just my opinion.