Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

Clean Flash Installer version 34.0.0.267 is now available at https://gitlab.com/cleanflash/installer/-/releases/.

Unfortunately, JustOff's GitHub-wc-polyfill add-on is no longer v1.2.19.1 isn't enough to access GitLab from a UXP browser; if you have that version, you must now either downgrade to v1.2.19 or upgrade to v1.2.19.2 (links below) or use Martok's Palefill add-on. You may also need to modify install.rdf to allow either add-on to be installed. Palefill is compatible with more browsers without modification, and it fixes some websites other than GitHub and GitLab, so I now recommend Palefill over GitHub-wc-polyfill.

Also, Serpent 52/55 must be in single-process mode. 360EE-based browsers should work without issue.

Edited by Mathwiz
See below

5 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

you must now use Martok's palefill add-on. You may also need to modify install.rdf to allow it to be installed.

When I installed the latest version 1.19 of Martok's palefill add-on in NM, I didn't have to modify install.rdf to allow its installation. Same for the version before. He changed it in the past. Or does he want to revert his modifikations? :dubbio:

10 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

available at https://gitlab.com/cleanflash/installer/-/releases/.

Unfortunately, JustOff's GitHub-wc-polyfill add-on is no longer enough to access GitLab from a UXP browser

This isn't true :P ; with the last (semi-)official release (v.1.2.19) of github-wc-polyfill prepared by SeaHOH, the GitLab link posted has no problem fully loading in my latest Serpent 52 copy (manual modification of 1.2.19's install.rdf is required to allow installation in St52):

cRO1BC0.jpg

NB that SeaHOH has abandoned further development of github-wc-polyfill, but our own @roytam1 has provided (at least two) updated XPIs for it in below "upstream" issue #68 thread:

https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill/issues/68#issuecomment-1218104421

So one should install v1.2.19.2 now to keep up with GH's shenanigans :realmad: ...

OT: MSFN's post/comment editor is overly problematic today, I find :( ...

Edited by VistaLover

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

When I installed the latest version 1.19 of martok's palefill add-on in NM[28], I didn't have to modify install.rdf to allow its installation. Same for the version before. He changed it in the past.

This is indeed correct :P - most UXP-based browsers are now natively supported in palefill's install.rdf file; it's only Serpent 55 that isn't:

https://github.com/martok/palefill/issues/25#issuecomment-1157015223

@Mathwiz is mainly using St55, so perhaps got confused and assumed this is still the case for UXP-based browsers :dubbio: ...

Edited by VistaLover

15 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

This is indeed correct :P - most UXP-based browsers are now natively supported in palefill's install.rdf file; it's only Serpent 55 that isn't:

https://github.com/martok/palefill/issues/25#issuecomment-1157015223

@Mathwiz is mainly using St55, so perhaps got confused and assumed this is still the case for UXP-based browsers :dubbio: ...

Thank you for the clarification, @VistaLover! I already feared that martok would undo these modifications. :o On the other hand, it is easy to modify such things yourself. :)

20 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Clean Flash Installer version 34.0.0.267 is now available at https://gitlab.com/cleanflash/installer/-/releases/.

Unfortunately, JustOff's GitHub-wc-polyfill add-on is no longer enough to access GitLab from a UXP browser; you must now use Martok's palefill add-on. You may also need to modify install.rdf to allow it to be installed. Also, Serpent 52/55 must be in single-process mode. 360EE should work without issue.

(emphasis added)

14 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

When I installed the latest version 1.19 of Martok's palefill add-on in NM, I didn't have to modify install.rdf to allow its installation. Same for the version before. He changed it in the past. Or does he want to revert his modifications? :dubbio:

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

This isn't true :P ; with the last (semi-)official release (v.1.2.19) of github-wc-polyfill prepared by SeaHOH, the GitLab link posted has no problem fully loading in my latest Serpent 52 copy (manual modification of 1.2.19's install.rdf is required to allow installation in St52):

NB that SeaHOH has abandoned further development of github-wc-polyfill, but our own @roytam1 has provided (at least two) updated XPIs for it in below "upstream" issue #68 thread:

https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill/issues/68#issuecomment-1218104421

So one should install v1.2.19.2 now to keep up with GH's shenanigans :realmad:

@Mathwiz is mainly using St55, so perhaps got confused and assumed this is still the case for UXP-based browsers.

Wow; what a prickly pair of posts! Let me respond in kind.

The GitLab link failed to load for me, not only in St55, but also in (UXP-based) IceApe. I was using 1.2.19.1 in both browsers, so I'm surprised to learn that GitLab works with "plain" 1.2.19; I guess the fix @roytam1 added in .1 (to fix a GitHub issue) broke GitLab somehow.

Unfortunately Roytam's fixes are linked in comments and so aren't shown on gh-wc-pf's release page, so I was unaware 1.2.19.2 even existed until I read @VistaLover's post.

Thus I turned to Palefill (v1.19.3), and the GitLab page loaded fine in both browsers. So I linked to Palefill as a known-working GitLab solution, though of course now that I know about gh-wc-pf 1.2.19.2, I suspect Palefill 1.19.3 doesn't incorporate the latest GitHub fixes (or equivalent ones) from it; so for the specific case of GitHub, I suppose gh-wc-pf 1.2.19.2 is the preferred solution. (Also unknown is what happens if both are installed at once!) At any rate, both add-ons are chasing many fast-moving targets.

And speaking of Palefill, apologies if there is a language barrier, but I made no assumption about browsers. I said, "you may also need to modify install.rdf," not "you will also need to modify install.rdf." "May" makes the sentence conditional, so I didn't think I'd nonetheless be expected to test Palefill installation in every possible browser to see which ones needed a modification!

15 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

And speaking of Palefill, apologies if there is a language barrier, but I made no assumption about browsers. I said, "you may also need to modify install.rdf," not "you will also need to modify install.rdf." "May" makes the sentence conditional, so I didn't think I'd nonetheless be expected to test Palefill installation in every possible browser to see which ones needed a modification!

Hello @Mathwiz! Thanks for your detailed reply! I am fully aware of the subjunktive mood and its meaning even as a non-native English speaker. And, I am able to distinguish between subjunctive mood, conditional forms and future tenses in grammar. But, thanks for your additional explanation! When I read your comment first, I found the usage of your "potentialis" a little unclear, as a simple look at palefill's install.rdf makes everything clear. But no problem, @VistaLover explained it in detail. Anyway, if I can ever repay you for your English grammatical instruction in my native German language, I would be very happy and am at your disposal at any time. :P

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Well, your (and @VistaLover's) English is far, far better than my German (and I don't understand Greek at all)! But since this is an international forum, whenever I'm misunderstood, I always wonder if something I said didn't translate well into the reader's native language. Hence my preemptive apology for any language barrier.

At any rate, it was all just a big misunderstanding! I knew at least one browser (my favorite St 55) requires palefill's install.rdf to be modified, and as far as I knew, there, well, "may" be others, so I thought it best to warn those reading my post about that possibility. But somehow that possibility got misread as an inevitability, so everyone thought I must have "assumed" that NM, or all browsers compatible with XP (or something - I'm still unsure what exactly I was thought to be "assuming") required a modification to palefill's install.rdf.

The fact that the gh-wc-pf version I happened to be using (1.2.19.1) doesn't work with GitLab (which is why I recommended switching to palefill in the first place), but both the version before (1.2.19) and the one after (1.2.19.2) do work, likely added to the confusion. If your only goal is to download the latest CleanFlash installer, you don't need palefill at all; the last "official" version of gh-wc-pf on its GitHub page, 1.2.19, displays GitLab pages fine. But ironically, you are more likely to need to modify gh-wc-pf 1.2.19's install.rdf.

Besides, palefill fixes some Web sites besides GitHub and GitLab. So even though you don't have to, it's probably worth switching to palefill anyway.

• 3 months later...

Flash is up to version 34.0.0.277 now, available at the usual GitLab site, https://gitlab.com/cleanflash/installer/-/releases/, or via direct download from https://bluepload.unstable.life/cleanflash3400277installer1.exe. That link is on the GitLab page but provided here for those who don't want to mess with PaleFill.

For the record, to access GitLab I'm using PaleFill version 1.22 (which I don't think is the latest, but GitLab still works fine) with Serpent 52. (Actually PaleFill 1.22 works with Serpent 55 also, as long as you modify install.rdf as noted above.)