Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

Chromium-based M$ Edge (on Win 7) started nagging about eventually not supporting Flash at least a month ago.

I never really liked Flash all that much, but always keep it installed in case I run across a Web page that still needs it.

27 minutes ago, dencorso said:

heads up

... Pardon me dear dencorso, but this was first made public on Jul 25th, 2017, more than two years ago already; so, most people browsing the web today should be sort of aware of the "crónica de una muerte anunciada" of Flash... ;) On that same vein, there was recent discussion in the official Moonchild forums regarding Flash deprecation: 

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23191

and Moonchild himself stated:

There are literally 10s of thousands of creative projects using Flash, that can't easily and won't be rewritten to anything else. There will always be a need for it if you want to continue to be able to view/play these Flash games/movies/interactive pieces of art/novels/etc.

NPAPI is a very mature, solid plugin system and there is no intention whatsoever to drop this in UXP.

But, come the end of 2020, NPAPI Adobe Flash won't be further patched for security; if MCP leave NPAPI Flash support in, as stated, then it's up to individual users to decide upon themselves if the inevitable security risks are really worth sticking to Flash in PM/Basilisk... :dubbio:

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Pardon me dear dencorso, but this was first made public on Jul 25th, 2017, more than two years ago already; so, most people browsing the web today should be sort of aware of the "crónica de una muerte anunciada" of Flash... ;)

Of course. But even I who am very aware of such EoS dates (even if they don't mean much to me, since I keep using Word 2000 and Acrobat Reader 9.5.5, not to mention Shockwave 12.3.5.205 and Silverlight 5.1.50918.0) was somewhat taken aback when the latest Chrome (on Win 8.1, at work) started nagging more than one year in advance. Of course I'll keep Flash on my machines! And it'll be a "long goodbye", no doubt, but it's sad, even when one believes firmly that EoS != EoL, like I do, to see such a good piece of software being put away like a rabid dog, isn't it?

• 2 months later...

The usual one is here -

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

You have to accept the licence agreement as usual, but annoyingly you now also have to log in to Oracle as well, which means you have to register with them.
It's not a big issue to do that though, and I've never had spam from them or anything like that.
There may well be other places you can get the file if you don't want to do that.
HTH.
:)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

FWIW, Java 8 Update 251 is now out!

... And for my XP friends here, since the officially provided installer (.exe) won't launch under Windows XP SP3, I hereby provide the official (but hidden behind a mandatory Oracle account :realmad: ) link to the extractable jre-8u251-windows-i586.tar.gz archive/package that XP users can use to manually update their JRE8 installation:

(32-bit:)

https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=242059_3d5a2bb8f8d4428bbe94aed7ec7ae784

:D

Edited by VistaLover