Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

re: Difference between Shockwave and Flash Player:

https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/kb/shockwave-player-faq.html#main_3

Basically, you're "kind of" right about Shockwave and "games", although my grandkids (several years ago) played games on PBS Kids website that were apparently Flash (?) games. On spare XP computers, mind you (not on MY computer, kids!)...

And the result was the same re: Macromedia folder contents, but BOTH entries exist in Add/Remove, so I can't really definitively vouch for existence of both (busy cleaning up junkware).

• 1 month later...

I've been offered Java 8 Update 221 on Windows 10.

No offered update on XP as yet, but when I checked the offline installers download page, there is only version 221, no version 222.

Have they stopped offering dual versions like they used to, I can find no trace of 222 anywhere?

:dubbio:

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I've now been offered Java 8 Update 221 on Windows XP.
Still no sign of Java 8 Update 222.

Have you checked the downloads with an Oracle Account?

Edited by Nojus2001
typo :(

13 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I've now been offered Java 8 Update 221 on Windows XP.
Still no sign of Java 8 Update 222.

I confirm your finding. And I was logged-in with my Oracle Account, of course...
Either they'll still release 222 sometime along this week or there'll be no 222.
I have, however, not read anywhere they'd be dropping such builds as a rule henceforward.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, TuMaGoNx said:

for /r %f in (*.pack) do jre\bin\unpack200.exe "%~f" "%~dpnf.jar" && del "%~f"

It's something wrong with letter "f" in this line. Could you fix it, please? As "f" is a modifier, you should better use another uppercase letter for parameter, like %K.

Edit: Well, this "f" was misleading. I just forgot to change % into %% in a script. It should be something like below:

for /r %%K in (*.pack) do jre\bin\unpack200.exe "%%~K" "%%~dpnK.jar" && del "%%~K"

Sorry for troubles…

Edited by Usher
fixed info

Ah thanks, just thought I'd ask!
So, no different from the Oracle installer then.
I don't think I'll bother with the 222 version, I suspect there's no real advantage over 221 for normal use.
:)

On 8/8/2019 at 10:26 PM, TuMaGoNx said:

@dencorso

Just in case Oracle stop provide binary updates there still:
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html#x32_win
currently at u222

PS: adoptjdk doesnt include JavaFX which you can transplant from u112

21 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Does their MSI installer work on Windows XP?

18 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

No, the installer requires Win 7. You have to download the .zip and install manually.

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Ah thanks, just thought I'd ask!
So, no different from the Oracle installer then.
I don't think I'll bother with the 222 version, I suspect there's no real advantage over 221 for normal use.
:)

+1

Just to clarify

Oracle is currently doing out-of-bound 2 years extension for Java 8 updates, according to https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html java 8 extended support is up to 2025, long after Dec 2020. The fixes and patches always went upstream (to openjdk, e.g. if you use linux you can get latest patched RPM) however nobody give a damn about building Windows binary especially 32-bit binary.

For example you wont find the last Java 6 updates for Windows from Oracle/Sun but you could get it from IBM https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ibm10739565 which match the roadmap date above "ended in 2018", the case I hope will be the same for adoptopenjdk to support win32 till 2025 not just 2020, IMHO they are just "arm" of IBM to promote OpenJ9 engine.