Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

On 4/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Vistaboy said:

That are good starting point. I made use of little registry mods. Generally in a fresh installed XP i always launched the last working XP installer (151/152) to install JAVA and then brutally extract the new .exe installer (jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe) and replace it in the programs file. The dream would be a little cmd workaround that automate the process to get last updated java. 

if you have 7zip
something  like this:

7z e jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe Data1.cab
7z e Data1.cab installerexe
7z e installerexe .rsrc\1033\RCDATA\* && ren 5 new.patch && ren 6 old.zip && ren 7 bspatch.exe
bspatch.exe old.zip core.zip new.patch 
7z x -ojre core.zip
del Data1.cab installerexe bspatch.exe old.zip core.zip new.patch 
for /r %f in (*.pack) do jre\bin\unpack200.exe "%~f" "%~dpnf.jar" && del "%~f"
jre\bin\java.exe -Xshare:dump

EDIT: no errorlevel check there oops

Edited by TuMaGoNx

Ya we haven't been able to install java for a long time.  All we can do is install the last version that works then copy pasta the new java in the old java folder and modify the regiestry to point to the new java.  This should work until java becomes API incompatible with XP.

Edited by Destro

2 hours ago, TuMaGoNx said:

Just in case someone not know, the reason Sun drop XP is JavaFX8 component: Webkit isn't working (need SRW)

You mean "fxplugins.dll"? If so, have you tested whether the version form 8u152 can be used instead, and works with all other files from 8u202 or not?

jfxwebkit.dll (note JavaFX is UI successor of AWT/SWT and whatever variant it called later)
i don't check every single updates, I have 211, 131 and 101 and the the original 21
101 is working
131 is mildly broken missing gettickcount64 (trivial to patch, tough you'll miss digital signature)
211 is the case of chrome...

EDIT: note that JavaFX isn't actually part of Java 1.8 standard Sun simply give a teaser for next Java 9, IBM Java8 implementation (J9/OpenJ9) never bundle JavaFX or OpenJFX but IBM j9 also broken on XP for different reason.

Edited by TuMaGoNx

So I try 111 and 121 and certain that 111 is the last fully functional out of the box JRE8 for XP
we could however transplant javafx files from 111 into 211 (or 112 to 212) to have working JavaFX

bin\
fxplugins.dll
glass.dll
javafx_font.dll
javafx_font_t2k.dll
javafx_iio.dll
jfxmedia.dll
jfxwebkit.dll
prism_common.dll
prism_d3d.dll
prism_sw.dll

lib\
jfxswt.jar
javafx.properties

lib\ext\
jfxrt.jar

dont know if this ok but it works with javafx examples here https://github.com/controlsfx/controlsfx

Edited by TuMaGoNx

• 3 weeks later...

is this Shockwave 12.3.5.205 the same as Flashplayer ?, I have flashplayer/shockwave version 32.0 ???

as for Java mine is still quite old never bother to update as at time couldnt find a comparible version for XP

Java Deployment Tool Kit 7.0.100 version 10.10.2

and Java Platform SE 7 U10 version 10.10.2

is it worth updating Java or leave as is, as not had a problem

I do have shockwave for Director no idea what it is for or remember installing it

Edited by DrWho3000

Shockwave and Flash are both from Adobe, but are completely different things.
I haven't seen a site using Shockwave for years, I've no idea how widely it was ever used, and I'm amazed that Adobe still kept supporting it until very recently.
Java on sites is becoming very rare as well, and you don't really need it now at all.
:)

yeah I gathere shock and flash are different

wasnt shock mainly used for these games that we used to see back in the 98SE days and software plug-in for viewing multimedia and video games in web pages

wasnt it also known as macromedia,

Edited by DrWho3000

Macromedia certainly originally developed Flash, I don't know about Shockwave.
They were taken over by Adobe after Flash became hugely successful and pretty ubiquitous on the web.
Sites like YouTube completely relied on it in their early days.
Things have moved on now finally though, and even Flash's days as a supported technology are numbered.
Its downfall was that it was too easily exploited by the bad guys, hence the need for its constant security updates.
HTML5 has made it obsolescent anyway, but it will be decades I suspect before Flash disappears from the web completely, if it ever does!
What will kill it for practical purposes is when all the current browsers refuse to use it.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

there is still alot of sites rely on Flash, I do remember shockwave well, I'm sure the online game(s) i played like the White room , the Crimson room need this to work

shock was needed to play some media flles and similar thing we get now these GIFS etc

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The Shockwave files should be in the \System32\Adobe folder.
Mine are all still there.

I checked and I don't have a \System32\Adobe folder.

My XP installation dates back to 2013. I never installed or updated Shockwave so I think my Shockwave installation is the one that came with XP. I am in the habit of checking the Flash version number before letting Adobe update it by eyeballing the actual files. After the most recent Flash update the Shockwave files and folder were gone from the \Macromed\ folder where Flash is installed.

Adobe bought out Macromedia AFTER XP was released right?

I think of the \Macromed\ folder as the legacy default installation directory for Shockwave and Flash.

Ah, if you never actually manually installed Shockwave, that would explain why you don't have that folder.
I'm not sure when Macromedia was taken over by Adobe, but I would be surprised if it was before 2001 when XP was first released.
I assume Adobe have always kept the Flash installation folder named Macromedia for backwards compatibility, in the same way that some of the Java folders are still named "Sun" many years after they were taken over by Oracle.