Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

8 hours ago, dencorso said:

Shockwave 12.3.5.205 is out, too

... Thanks :); your direct link fetches file sw_lic_full_installer.exe (12.5 MiB); same Adobe directory, but what I consider the more standard filename, Shockwave_Installer_Full.exe (14.4 MiB); probably a case of "pot-ayto/pot-uto" ;)

Happy Easter to you, den :)

The first time I just installed it over the previous 12.3.4.204 installation, and the installer hung.
I then tried reinstalling 12.3.4.204, and it told me there was a more recent version installed!
As the usual Adobe test page no longer works, it just redirects to the EOL notice, I tried a few other Shockwave test sites, none of which worked as they should, so I assumed the install was corrupt.
Then I uninstalled it, and tried reinstalling 12.3.4.204 which hung again exactly as the 12.3.5.205 installer had done!
I wondered if it was trying to connect to something online and not succeeding, so I uninstalled again and tried installing the latest version again with the internet connection disconnected.
This time it worked, and very quickly!
Whether my theory was right or not I don't know, but it seems to be installed OK now.
:thumbup

10 hours ago, Vistaboy said:

maybe it's time to sticky Java update procedure for XP

Sure. But someone ought to start a dedicated thread and write a cleaned-up how-to procedure for that, don't you agree?
I can contribute a regshot "redo.reg" of the minimum registry changes needed (to be attached soon to this very post) and the picture below...

java5.png

On 4/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, Vistaboy said:

maybe it's time to sticky Java update procedure for XP

Here is a modified REG, see the comments. I have many non edited keys deleted, so do not use it as install ressource.

It is used to switch from v201 to v211, Java program home path is "C:\Programme\Java".

I hold the latest under XP working v151 MSI file for deinstallation in the personal program data path.

Be carefull, it is all I edit in the registry, may be you need other / more / less key names...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

######### delete old key ###########
############## EDITED ##############
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_201]

#### write new key and subkeys #####
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_211]
"JavaHome"="C:\\Programme\\Java"
"MicroVersion"="0"
"RuntimeLib"="C:\\Programme\\Java\\bin\\client\\jvm.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_211\MSI]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Programme\\Java\\"
"JU"=""
"OEMUPDATE"=""
"FROMVERSION"="NA"
"FROMVERSIONFULL"=""
"PRODUCTVERSION"="8.0.2110.12"
"EULA"=""
"JAVAUPDATE"="1"
"AUTOUPDATECHECK"="1"
"AUTOUPDATEDELAY"=""
"FullVersion"="1.8.0_211-b12"

## string for software information #
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JreMetrics]
"JreVersion"="1.8.0_211-b12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F]
"ProductName"="Java 8 Update 211-b12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F\SourceList]
"PackageName"="jre1.8.0_211.msi"

# string for software uninstall information #
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F32180151F0}]
"DisplayVersion"="8.0.2110.12"
"InstallDate"="20190420"
############ NOT EDITED ############ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"InstallSource"="C:\\ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \\Oracle\\Java\\jre1.8.0_151\\"
"DisplayName"="Java 8 Update 211"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F\InstallProperties]
"DisplayVersion"="8.0.2110.12"
"InstallDate"="20190420"
############ NOT EDITED ############ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"InstallSource"="C:\\ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \\Oracle\\Java\\jre1.8.0_151\\"
"DisplayName"="Java 8 Update 211"

Edited by Thomas S.

That are good starting point. I made use of little registry mods. Generally in a fresh installed XP i always launched the last working XP installer (151/152) to install JAVA and then brutally extract the new .exe installer (jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe) and replace it in the programs file. The dream would be a little cmd workaround that automate the process to get last updated java. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:22 AM, sdfox7 said:

Duke University will upload the current version to their FTP

Latest .EXE files (installers) have been uploaded now! :)

http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe
http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u212-windows-i586.exe

But these are valid for Vista+ users, only :angry:; Duke Uni DO NOT upload the .tar.gz archives necessary for XP :( ...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Latest .EXE files (installers) have been uploaded now! :)

http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe
http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u212-windows-i586.exe

But these are valid for Vista+ users, only :angry:; Duke Uni DO NOT upload the .tar.gz archives necessary for XP :( ...

For what its worth, the .exe installers function just fine on XP x64 edtion/Server 2003
http://prntscr.com/nfv7qn

java.png

(note: I believe this installer screenshot is from around the 8u170-era but i can confirm that it still works.)

Edited by i430VX

12 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Here on Server 2003 x86 neither the last one to work on XP or the latest that doesn't on  XP open here:dubbio:

I have not tested on 2003 x86 but if you cant even get the 8u151/152 to install you got some other problems.
:dubbio: