Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

Just a reminder: If you would use flash in china, better have flashplayer29 as backup, for version beyond 29 will check whether you are from china (or locale setting is chinese, not sure). If positive, it will stop working, redirect you to a cooperative chinese spyware site, download a chinese version which will breach all your privacy.

12 hours ago, luweitest said:

Just a reminder: If you would use flash in china, better have flashplayer29 as backup, for version beyond 29 will check whether you are from china (or locale setting is chinese, not sure). If positive, it will stop working, redirect you to a cooperative chinese spyware site, download a chinese version which will breach all your privacy.

That's one of the reasons I archived Flash Player 29. Well , not really. The real reason is that Flash 29.0.0.171 is the final version for SSE processors: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/flash_sse_29.0.0.171/

Released May 8, 2018

Flash Player for Firefox, Chrome 44 and below, and Opera Presto (NPAPI): http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/flash_sse_29.0.0.171/install_flash_player.exe
Flash Player for Internet Explorer (ActiveX): http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/flash_sse_29.0.0.171/install_flash_player_ax.exe
Flash Player for Google Chrome 45+, and Opera Blink (PPAPI) : http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/flash_sse_29.0.0.171/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe

13 hours ago, luweitest said:

I see...

Winnie the Pooh wasn't happy and wanted more data from users...

The java directory structure must be in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_152 (so there'll be the bin and lib subdirectories inside this one) and the executables must be located in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_152\bin *and* a copy of the 202 cpl in system32.
If so the reg attached below should work (but do read, it just in case, before merging it):

Jre_8u202_Mod152.zip

• 1 month later...

Also my Windows 10 Java installation has updated from Update 202 to Update 211, instead of 212!

There now seems to be no way of getting the Update 212 files without having an account with Oracle.

:(

Java has released nn1 and nn2 versions simultaneously for some time now. Usually the nn1 version is fine. Supposedly the nn2 version contains some new "advanced" features; it's probably not needed unless you're a Java developer.

7 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Java has been updated to Java 8 Update 211:)

... and with it came a revised Oracle Licensing Agreement:

Oracle Technology Network License Agreement for Oracle Java SE

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

You seem to have to have an Oracle account now to download the files,
There now seems to be no way of getting the Update 212 files without having an account with Oracle.

As usual, I went directly to the Oracle download page to manually fetch latest installers for both 8u211 & 8u212

Java SE Runtime Environment 8 Downloads

On Vista, both continue to work as intended; with every new JRE release, I would archive both and install either one (mostly the odd-numbered one...); latest release files were, up-until-now, publicly available, whereas the immediately previous and older releases, available via the Oracle Java archive, required an Oracle account :angry:... 

While the latest, Windows 7+, 64-bit (only), compatible Java (JDK) offerings are still publicly available (i.e. accessible without an Oracle account), I, like @Dave-H, soon found out, to my substantial dismay :realmad:, that the current/latest JRE 8u211/8u212 files are now behind a mandatory Oracle account! :angry::realmad::thumbdown:thumbdown

Then I had a read of the "Updated Licensing FAQs" over at

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/oracle-jdk-faqs.html

from which I quote:

What about Java SE 8?
Oracle Java SE8 updates, which includes the Oracle JRE with Java Web Start, continues to be free for personal use, development, testing, prototyping, demonstrating and some other important uses explained in this FAQ under the OTN License Agreement for Java SE. Personal users can continue downloading the Oracle Java SE 8 JRE at java.com.

... Off to java.com I go, then... :dubbio:; the problem with that download page is that, for Windows users at least, it only provides 32-bit (and 64-bit) installers, and only for the odd-numbered JRE version (8u211) :(:angry:; this already constitutes a limitation for Windows XP SP3 users, for whom the provided installers don't function at all; XP users need access to jre-8u21x-windows-i586.tar.gz archives in order to update their installations... :(

Also, in the Java Development Kit 8 Update Release Notes they mark both 8u211 and 8u212 versions as being (GA): "General Availability"; isn't that a distorted sense of the term "general", given that login-credentials are now required? :realmad:

If you don't want to create an account with Oracle, I found file jre-8u212-windows-i586.exe FREELY available over at FileHorse; just be careful not to download their proprietary downloader (2.6MiB) but the actual Java installer (66.4MiB - use the "if it doesn't click here to start it" page link ;)). 

For the .tar.gz archives, I'm afraid an account is needed (I'm not advising others to do the same :sneaky:, but I just visited this site and the first set of credentials there worked fine; for crying out loud, this is a free, "generally-available" file, so I don't feel shame in the slightest...).

Edited by VistaLover