Riva tuner and their BS behavior

Jaguarek62

On 4/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

I can't seem to find any older versions. I only found 7.22 but the issue still persist :/ 

Oh , that's bad . I'm kinda gamer too . Are there any other alternatives ? (please not from kaspersky or the such) , thank you.

MSI Afterburner 4.6.3.16053 with RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.3.1.24485 works fine on my Windows 8.1 installation, so it seems OP's issue can't be Windows version alone.

On 4/28/2021 at 12:15 PM, Dixel said:

@UCyborg , please tell us if you know what was the last working version for Windows Vista and 8.1 respectively.

It is yet to be tried, but an older version of RivaTuner Statistics Server's RTSSHooks.dll bundled with MSI Afterburner 4.6.2 doesn't depend on K32GetProcessMemoryInfo function. I only dug through to the DLL with 7-Zip to check its dependencies with PE Viewer.

Found the installer on Filehorse.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:53 AM, Dixel said:

My theory is that they wanted the world to forget about the old systems at some point, so "supported" would take into the account whether an OS is still supported (at the time of writing). Also, you were looking at the documentation for driver developers. Average Joe would go here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winnt/nf-winnt-interlockedcompareexchange (this one says XP is the minimum).

8 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Thank you , appreciated , will definitely try . And the OP might have a problem with his higher version of framework , like I suggested earlier.

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Would also be very good to find a standalone version installer (or portable) of Riva tuner without MSI. I know there's one inside , but I guess not everyone will figure that out. Is there a site with various older versions ?

EDIT: Your version works with Vista , thank you lots ! If I don't bother you that much , perhaps you know how to switch OFF this stupid "cannot connect to update server". Of course I blocked it with the firewall , since I can't allow it to update (obviously). Switching off the update checker in the settings doesn't help .

EDIT-2 : It really shows fps count only with *some* games , but no crashes like the OP described, so older versions are still needed.

EDIT-3 : Quit showing FPS at all . If I look at the main window - it's just stuck at the highest monitor refresh rate. But in the games there is no FPS counter at all.

EDIT-4 : Finally got this to work with Vista ! I had to frankenstein the hell outta the both versions . So nevermind , all is OK now.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Dixel

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

MSI Afterburner 4.6.3.16053 with RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.3.1.24485 works fine on my Windows 8.1 installation, so it seems OP's issue can't be Windows version alone.

I asked 4 people running 8.1. Every single one has the rtsshooker.exe crashed issue.

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I asked 4 people running 8.1. Every single one has the rtsshooker.exe crashed issue.

This is really strange because I trust this experienced user @UCyborg . He just helped me with Riva Tuner on Vista . What is their framework level ?

MSI Afterburner displaying some stats via RTSS on a D3D11 game and a D3D8 game on Windows 8.1. RTSS settings were left at defaults. Windows 8.1 is at the December 2017 patch level + .NET Framework 4.8 (KB4486105). .NET likely doesn't matter in this case unless .NET based game is involved.

spacer.png

More information would be needed to solve the OP's problem. Sometimes the module name where it crashed gives a hint, but it's not necessarily where the main issue resides. The crash log can be found in Event Viewer (Windows Logs->System) or in Action Center (Maintenance->View reliability history).

The developers of RTSS would be the best equipped to diagnose the issue if they're provided with the crash dump. Crash dumping is enabled by creating a registry key described here and adding described settings. Default values are probably OK for the start, the person analyzing the dump should be able to tell if it should be configured differently to give better results.

Obviously you can link it here and hope someone that comes by can make a sense out of it, but it's easiest for the person that has the source code of the crashing program since then Visual Studio will be able show where it crashed at the source level, variables will be identifiable by name etc.

Edited by UCyborg

15 hours ago, Dixel said:

Would also be very good to find a standalone version installer (or portable) of Riva tuner without MSI. I know there's one inside , but I guess not everyone will figure that out. Is there a site with various older versions ?

Aye, but I haven't found the archive of RTSS. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

15 hours ago, Dixel said:

EDIT: Your version works with Vista , thank you lots ! If I don't bother you that much , perhaps you know how to switch OFF this stupid "cannot connect to update server". Of course I blocked it with the firewall , since I can't allow it to update (obviously). Switching off the update checker in the settings doesn't help .

Does it try to connect every time even if you set the longest allowed checking interval? If not: I noticed Config file under Profiles sub-folder has a timestamp under LastUpdateCheck, unix epoch time in seconds in hexadecimal format with a 'h' suffix. Maybe setting it to the distant future date would help, eg. FFFFFFFFh or at least 7FFFFFFFh.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, UCyborg said:

Does it try to connect every time even if you set the longest allowed checking interval? If not: I noticed Config file under Profiles sub-folder has a timestamp under LastUpdateCheck, unix epoch time in seconds in hexadecimal format with a 'h' suffix. Maybe setting it to the distant future date would help, eg. FFFFFFFFh or at least 7FFFFFFFh.

It is quite unpredictable . Usually it pops up right at the start of the programme. I do not have this line at all . I only have "UpdateCheckingPeriod" with only one digit available, so it seems they don't want me to disable it completely , only to change the period  . This is with 7.3.1 , yes , as I told earlier I made a frankensteined version with the main .exe being 7.3.1 . I searched all lines with the word "update" , opened in Hex , nothing even remotely similar. 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, UCyborg said:

Maybe setting it to the distant future date would help, eg. FFFFFFFFh or at least 7FFFFFFFh.

Somehow it just stopped asking for updates , the issue resolved , thanks again !

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, UCyborg said:

MSI Afterburner displaying some stats via RTSS on a D3D11 game and a D3D8 game on Windows 8.1. RTSS settings were left at defaults. Windows 8.1 is at the December 2017 patch level + .NET Framework 4.8 (KB4486105). .NET likely doesn't matter in this case unless .NET based game is involved.

spacer.png

More information would be needed to solve the OP's problem. Sometimes the module name where it crashed gives a hint, but it's not necessarily where the main issue resides. The crash log can be found in Event Viewer (Windows Logs->System) or in Action Center (Maintenance->View reliability history).

The developers of RTSS would be the best equipped to diagnose the issue if they're provided with the crash dump. Crash dumping is enabled by creating a registry key described here and adding described settings. Default values are probably OK for the start, the person analyzing the dump should be able to tell if it should be configured differently to give better results.

Obviously you can link it here and hope someone that comes by can make a sense out of it, but it's easiest for the person that has the source code of the crashing program since then Visual Studio will be able show where it crashed at the source level, variables will be identifiable by name etc.

Sorry, I was tested covid positive and I was not on my computer. 

I have tested 10 computers with various hw specs amd cpu, intel cpu etc.. none of them works. idk how you managed to get it running. I even reinstalled the whole os with no success

This is the crash dump:

Název chybující aplikace: RTSSHooksLoader64.exe, verze: 1.1.0.0, časové razítko: 0x5d766218
Název chybujícího modulu: KERNELBASE.dll, verze: 6.3.9600.19724, časové razítko: 0x5ec5262a
Kód výjimky: 0xc000041d
Posun chyby: 0x0000000000007afc
ID chybujícího procesu: 0x101c
Čas spuštění chybující aplikace: 0x01d73971b59553fc
Cesta k chybující aplikaci: C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSSHooksLoader64.exe
Cesta k chybujícímu modulu: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
ID zprávy: f3b11901-a564-11eb-8285-386893292abf
Úplný název chybujícího balíčku: 
ID aplikace související s chybujícím balíčkem: 

I tried RTSS on virtual machine this time as I'm not in native install ATM, I tried both May 2020 (your kernelbase.dll was revised with this update) and May 2021 cumulative updates and they don't seem to be an issue. I can try the native install next time with those updates, though I doubt it'll be any different.

Didn't really do anything to get it working, it just works.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:32 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

This is the crash dump:

OK, that is the log entry. I noticed I didn't add a link to documentation in my previous post - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps - that's how you get the dump file.