My Browser Builds (Part 3)

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Can't confirm/WFM ;) ; in a fresh Serpent 52.9.0 profile, latest St52 (2022-10-13) (32-bit), the NPAPI plugin is correctly identified inside "about:addons => Plugins" :

Thanks for testing. Something on my set up, probably.  I get this issue even with the latest one published yesterday. I will go back a couple of months and check, over the week. Cheers!

On 10/12/2022 at 7:46 AM, VistaLover said:

"XP was first released to the public in late 2001"... :(

IMO the key date for determining "obsolescence" isn't when the product was first released; it's when the product was last supported/updated.

Which, for the POSReady '09 "flavor" of XP, was 2019. Although to be fair, POSReady '09 wasn't intended to be used for Web browsing, so perhaps we should use 2014. So yeah, it's "obsolete," but hardly as ancient as the quoted factoid is trying so hard to make it sound.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I've always seen these as "by design" 'bugs'.

Yes, I tend to agree. Here, the unwanted behavior is triggered by a CSS property that's "supposed to be" ignored? So why is the Web site sending it in the first place? The only effect of not sending it would be that it would work on older Firefox-based browsers.

So this smells like intentional breakage. Although, to be fair, probably not by the Web site designer, but rather by the framework used to build the site.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:19 AM, roytam1 said:

This one crashes constantly the moment I visit https://nl.hardware.info/nieuw with the familiar error-message like 'The instruction at "0x00826003" referenced memory at "0x00049411". The memory could not be "read"'. As if some SSE2 code slipped through.

16 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

So this smells like intentional breakage. Although, to be fair, probably not by the Web site designer, but rather by the framework used to build the site.

I don't believe they're deliberately seeking bugs in old browsers to break them. General apathy towards what happens in the older browser versions seems more likely. Or thinking the property is needed for some reason and so was left there or was forgotten to be removed while changing other parts of the surrounding code.

Edited by UCyborg

Reino said:

Win32 SSE https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-28.10.6a1.win32-git-20221015-d849524bd-uxp-221a4433e-xpmod-sse.7z

This one crashes constantly the moment I visit https://nl.hardware.info/nieuw with the familiar error-message like 'The instruction at "0x00826003" referenced memory at "0x00049411". The memory could not be "read"'. As if some SSE2 code slipped through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm the instant crash the moment when visiting https://nl.hardware.info/nieuw
with NM28sse(2022-10-15)

On 10/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, UCyborg said:

I don't believe they're deliberately seeking bugs in old browsers to break them. General apathy towards what happens in the older browser versions seems more likely. Or thinking the property is needed for some reason and so was left there or was forgotten to be removed while changing other parts of the surrounding code.

I also believe that such "bugs" are not deliberately implemented to annoy users of old UXP browsers or to force them to abandon their use. It is much more likely that website developers simply don't have these users and their browsers on their radar anymore and certainly don't test their websites in such browsers. Only the latest browsers are important for them, nothing else matters at all, unfortunately. :(  They probably follow the rule of the more recent the better, as so many do these days. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 10/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, UCyborg said:

You too? I still cough occasionally after 1,5 week from the point when I seemed to be fine at first glance, it's really taking a lot of time to clear up.

Yeah, I had a bad cold. I thought it could be SARS-CoV-2 because we had a class reunion and at least two have been tested positive afterwards, but my PCR test was negative - so just a bad cold. ;)

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe, IceDove, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20221015 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20221015 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20221015 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20221015 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20221015 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20221015 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20221015 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20221015 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20221015 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

I fear you have missed the primary point behind (at least my) take on these bugs being deliberate.

You have to go back 20+ years to see the full picture.

20+ years ago, we lived in a Death to Internet Explorer universe that was wholly and completely DRIVEN by the Firefox Crowd.

Firefox and its USER BASE was out to KILL Internet Explorer.

And guess what - THEY SUCCEEDED.

NOTHING to do with UXP browsers.  EVERYTHING to do with FIREFOX.

WEB DESIGNERS USED Firefox to test their "designs" and WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY to find ways to show Internet Explorer was "inferior".

And again - THEY SUCCEEDED.

Spring forward 20+ years and this is where we are today (technically right about two years ago and all the way through to "today").

The Firefox Crowd of "foregotten lore" SUCCEEDED in killing off Internet Explorer.

What they lacked the foresight to PREDICT is that killing off Internet Explorer did NOT place Firefox as King of All Web Browsers like the user base thought was going to happen.

They succeeded.  They just thought that "they" (the PARENT to "UXP") would be sitting at the TOP - they are NOT at the top.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, dmiranda said:

Something on my set up, probably.  I get this issue even with the latest one published yesterday.
I will go back a couple of months and check, over the week.

... Better first check on Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0, too... If it doesn't detect Silverlight too, then your issue probably has to do with a corrupted (global) Silverlight installation :dubbio:... If a complete SL-removal-OS reboot-SL-re-installation doesn't fix it, an old Mozilla Support article that may contain useful info is this one ;) ...

Edit: If "plugin.scan.plid.all" is set to true (default), then SL should be detected by St52 via the reg-key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Microsoft.com/NpCtrl,version=1.0

Hope I've helped :) ...

Edited by VistaLover

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

... the property is needed for some reason and ... was forgotten to be removed while changing other parts of the surrounding code.

OK, that makes sense. I've certainly done that myself when copying and modifying code - leaving no-longer-needed chunks in. If they don't do any apparent harm there's no reason for me to hunt them down and take them out!

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Microsoft.com/NpCtrl,version=1.0

Actually, I had just erased, a few days back, the mozillaplugins reg entry, just because. Now I know Better :P

Thank you very much, VistaLover. It's gold having you here.