My Browser Builds (Part 3)

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@VistaLover, @Mathwiz, @NotHereToPlayGames, @anton12!
Thank you all for your investigations, advices, and tips! Yesterday I only had a little time. I just wanted to book cinema tickets quickly, and that was more of an odyssey on my old computer. Maybe, it was my own stupidity, I could have used my Android tablet directly. BTW, the movie "Top Gun - Maverick" was simply great! At home again, I have opened the problematic website www.uci-kinowelt.de in Serpent 52 (2022-09-10), and it works perfectly with a very fast and successful security check for my slow computer without any annoying captcha. That surprised me. Next, I opened it with a new profile in New Moon 28 (2022-09-10), and suddenly, what can I say, it works there too. Thanks @anton12 for your confirmation! In both cases, palefill 1.20 was installed. I still have to investigate why the security check cannot be completed successfully in my main profile of NM 28. Unfortunately, the 360Chrome browsers were no help in this case. :) I can say one thing with all clarity: I abysmally hate these sites with a so-called security check. :realmad:
fluch.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper expresssi.gif

And, one other thing is also very clear. The failure of the security check in my case is definitely not caused by an underperforming computer. And the browsers New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 have the most recent TLS 1.3 protocol and their current cipher suites. So the connection must be secure. The question must therefore be: What is actually checked during this so-called security check performed by Cloudflare:dubbio:

PS: The website www.uci-kinowelt.de and above all its login page works in Mypal 68 too like a charm without any significant delay or any captcha. upp.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

So, as I suspected, one of my extensions in my main profile is preventing CF's security check of my internet connection from completing successfully. After disabling almost half of my extensions, it worked. Here is a screenshot from the UCI login page:

NM28-UCI-Login.png

I assume a captcha will only appear in the cases the visitor comes from a foreign country or the connection is actually secure but something went wrong and a captcha is given as an alternative to be sure it's not a bot after all. Just an idea! Anyway, which extension was the culprit now becomes a task for Sherlock Holmessclindoeil.gif :) 

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

8 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Anyway, which extension was the culprit now becomes a task for Sherlock Holmes

... Use the "divide-by-two" method... Say your dirty profile has 42 extensions installed in total

1. Disable the first 21 of them, then restart browser
2. Check for the existence of a bug (in this case, "CF-security-check" not completing)
3. If the bug is present, it's caused by one (or more) of the remaining enabled 21 extensions
4. If the bug is not present, then it's caused by one (or more) of the disabled 21 extensions

By using this procedure for each "half" subset of extensions, adjusting accordingly for subsets with an odd number of extensions, you can hopefully arrive soon to the culprit one... The "(or more)" is for rarer circumstances, where a bug is caused by the interaction of two (or more) extensions, as opposed to one only...

Worst case scenario: Some extension(s) will continue to interfere even when disabled; I hope yours is not such a case... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Use the "divide-by-two" method... Say your dirty profile has 42 extensions installed in total

2. Check for the existence of a bug (in this case, "CF-security-check" not completing)
3. If the bug is present, it's caused by one (or more) of the remaining enabled 21 extensions
4. If the bug is not present, then it's caused by one (or more) of the disabled 21 extensions

By using this procedure for each "half" subset of extensions, adjusting accordingly for subsets with an odd number of extensions, you can hopefully arrive soon to the culprit one... The "(or more)" is for rarer circumstances, where a bug is caused by the interaction of two (or more) extensions, as opposed to one only...

Worst case scenario: Some extension(s) will continue to interfere even when disabled; I hope yours is not such a case... ;)

Thanks for your suggestion! It looks like you are a mathematician, too. A nice and efficient algorithm! Truth be told, I already knew it, but thank you anyway, sometimes one does deviate from the perfect, theoretical construct. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that more than one extension is problematic. I am in the process of cleaning up my profile from several errors. Of course, I could simply create a new one, but if the same problems come up again, it will all have been for nothing. Besides, I have made and changed so many settings in this profile that it simply has to be saved. Frankly, I really want to know which extensions are causing problems. :)  And, I've already found something. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 9/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, anton12 said:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-15000049/sample-mp4-file-small.mp4.html

KM-Goanna can render the file above.

Who can play that small (531 KB, VirusTotal: file ok)) mp4 test file

with the latest versions of NM28 and Serpent ?

With Serpent version 2022-09-10, unfortunately, it just opens to me a new dialog box, asking what to do with the file, rather than playing it inside the browser.

Edited by mina7601

Hello VistaLover,

your Serpent(2022-8-5) obviously plays that above mp4 test file.

My older Serpent(2022-7-30) plays that mp4 test file too.

But what about the latest (2022-9-10) Serpent version ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it stands now for Serpent (2022-9-10):

mina7601       mp4 test file won't play 

anton12          mp4 test file won't play  (NM28,St52)

AstroSkipper   mp4 test file won't play  (NM28,St52)

Edited by anton12

2 hours ago, anton12 said:

Hello VistaLover,

mina7601      mp4 test file won't play 

anton12         mp4 test file won't play 

Hello @anton12! In my installations of New Moon 28 and Serpent 52, both most recent of 2022-09-10, your test file can only be played by the plugin VLC Web Plugin 3.0.3.0 which was automatically installed by VLC Media Player. I opened your mp4 test file via the file menu. Without the VLC Web Plugin, it won't play in my installations. Here is a screenshot when playing it with this plugin:

Serpent-52-2022-09-10-MP4-Test.png

Maybe, I missed something to play it natively in these browsers. :dubbio: This would be a good question for our experts. question.gif Truth be told, I rarely play videos in my browsers due to an underperforming computer. In most cases, I use an external media player like VLC for a better performance. :yes: BTW, I checked my about:config entries, and, as far as I can see, all necessary settings to play such videos have been done. :)

Cheers, AstroSkipper repareordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

it won't play in my installations.

Did you get the same behavior like me in this post?

23 hours ago, mina7601 said:

With Serpent version 2022-09-10, unfortunately, it just opens to me a new dialog box, asking what to do with the file, rather than playing it inside the browser.

18 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Did you get the same behavior like me in this post?

13 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Without the VLC Web Plugin, it won't play in my installations

As I clearly wrote, it can't be played natively in New Moon 28 and Serpent 52, both most recent of 2022-09-10, at the moment, unless I missed something. jexplique.gif

7 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As I clearly wrote, it can't be played natively in New Moon 28 and Serpent 52, both most recent of 2022-09-10, at the moment, unless I missed something. jexplique.gif

I know, but I mean, in Serpent 52 (not in New Moon 28), did you get a "What should do Serpent do with this file?" dialog box, or nothing happened? All what I did to have this happening, was: File --> Open File, locate the sample mp4 file, and it gave me the "What should do Serpent do with this file?" dialog box. The same happened when I dragged and dropped the file to Serpent.

9 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I know, but I mean, in Serpent 52 (not in New Moon 28), did you get a "What should do Serpent do with this file?" dialog box, or nothing happened? All what I did to have this happening, was: File --> Open File, locate the sample mp4 file, and it gave me the "What should do Serpent do with this file?" dialog box. The same happened when I dragged and dropped the file to Serpent.

No, I didn't get that. I have installed VLC in Windows XP, and the page offered to activate the VLC Web Plugin which was installed in all browser automatically and set to "ask to activate".

Hello VistaLover,

PS:

Please, tell if you get that  "What should Serpent do with this file?" dialog box(db)

or   "What should New Moon do with this file?" dialog box.

mina7601       mp4 test file won't play/db yes

anton12          mp4 test file won't play/db yes  (NM28,St52)

AstroSkipper   mp4 test file won't play/db no   (NM28,St52)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello AstroSkipper,

what happens when you disable your  VLC Web Plugin for that above mp4 test file ?

4 hours ago, anton12 said:

mina7601       mp4 test file won't play/db yes

anton12          mp4 test file won't play/db yes  (NM28,St52)

AstroSkipper   mp4 test file won't play natively no yes  (NM28,St52 of 2022-09-10)

Hello AstroSkipper,

what happens when you disable your  VLC Web Plugin for that above mp4 test file ?

Did you really read my comment? :dubbio: Maybe, you do it once again! :yes: I clearly wrote your test file didn't play natively in the latest releases of NM 28 and Serpent 52. Therefore, my answer to your question is very simple: nothing:)

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 9/12/2022 at 5:06 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Anyway, which extension was the culprit now becomes a task for Sherlock Holmessclindoeil.gif :) 

On 9/13/2022 at 1:23 AM, VistaLover said:

On 9/13/2022 at 1:57 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Frankly, I really want to know which extensions are causing problems. :)  And, I've already found something. :yes:

Just to complete the story, my main profile of New Moon 28 has been totally cleaned and fixed. All bugs and inconveniences have been removed. I have also completely removed all traces, settings, and remnants of old, uninstalled extensions. The extension which caused the issue on the UCI login page has been identified. And the winner is: RightToClick 2.9.6. The number of extensions has been reduced from 70 to 50. And yes, I know there are still too many, but I am a fan of extensions and use them all. I have upgraded every missing and useful feature. One of the reasons why New Moon 28 is my main browser.
Now, New Moon 28 works like a charme with this profile. yes-us.gif 
Thanks all for your help and tips! smilie_t_006.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper bye-ballon.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content