My Browser Builds (Part 3)

49 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I do not use uBlock Origin, but what you guys describe is an EASY fix.  At least it sounds like it is.  What it sounds like is a CSS issue where width and height need assigned.

I already had a look into the file dashboard.css inside uBlock's xpi file but no success until now.

On 9/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @roytam1, @VistaLover and @Mathwiz!

Did anyone of you already notice that the UI of uBlock Origin's dashboard page is broken in the latest version of New Moon 28 (2022-09-02)? The menu items at the top of the dashboard page are compressed and no longer visible. However, you can still click on them with the mouse. I refer to the last legacy version of uBlock Origin, 1.16.4.30. In a previous version of New Moon 28, everything was fine (I didn't check in which version this issue occurred first). Tested also with a clean profile. Here is a screenshot of this issue:

u-Block-Origin-issue.png

Since no new updates or versions have been released from JustOff for over a year, I'm afraid that not much will happen if reporting this issue on GitHub. To find out the reason for this glitch, I took a screenshot of the error console when the dashboard page of uBlock is loaded:

u-Block-Origin-issue-error-console.png

BTW, same issue with Serpent v52.9.0 (2022-09-02) (32-bit). uBlock Origin is in my opinion definitely the most important extension besides palefill we need for our UXP browser. Hope this can be fixed!

Cheers, AstroSkipper panne1.gif

On 9/7/2022 at 10:44 PM, AstroSkipper said:
On 9/7/2022 at 5:30 PM, nicolaasjan said:

Same here...

However it went back to normal when un-maximizing the window.

Confirmed! Any change in the size of the window recovers the menu items. Same applies to any change in the font of the dashboard page. But this is certainly not a satisfactory solution, of course. The problem must have to do with a change in the browsers, either in the current or in an earlier release. Some weeks ago, everything was fine. Maybe, our browser experts have an idea. I do not have one at the moment. jexplique.gif

On 9/7/2022 at 10:54 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I do not use uBlock Origin, but what you guys describe is an EASY fix.  At least it sounds like it is.  What it sounds like is a CSS issue where width and height need assigned.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:47 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I already had a look into the file dashboard.css inside uBlock's xpi file but no success until now.

I've modified the xpi file, and now, the issue seems to have been solved. ssuper5sur5.gif I do hope so, at least. :dubbio: Here is the link of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.30 modified by me: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1226247 link.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I've modified the xpi file, and now, the issue seems to have been solved.

Modification:

--- a/dashboard1.css
+++ b/dashboard.css
@@ -4,7 +4,8 @@ html, body {
     height: 100vh;
     justify-content: stretch;
     overflow: hidden;
-    position: relative;
+    padding-top: 35px;
+	position: sticky;
     width: 100vw;
     }
 #dashboard-nav {
@@ -16,7 +17,7 @@ html, body {
     flex-wrap: wrap;
     overflow-x: hidden;
     padding: 0;
-    position: sticky;
+    position: absolute;
     top: 0;
     width: 100%;
     z-index: 10;

No more issue. :cheerleader:

Edited by nicolaasjan

33 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

Modification:

--- a/dashboard1.css
+++ b/dashboard.css
@@ -4,7 +4,8 @@ html, body {
     height: 100vh;
     justify-content: stretch;
     overflow: hidden;
-    position: relative;
+    padding-top: 35px;
+	position: sticky;
     width: 100vw;
     }
 #dashboard-nav {
@@ -16,7 +17,7 @@ html, body {
     flex-wrap: wrap;
     overflow-x: hidden;
     padding: 0;
-    position: sticky;
+    position: absolute;
     top: 0;
     width: 100%;
     z-index: 10;

No more issue. :cheerleader:

Hello @nicolaasjan! Glad to hear that it works for you! I had to read a bit in the CSS reference to understand how positioning exactly works. It was a good thing that I had dealt with CSS a bit more intensively a few weeks ago. Anyway, this is a solution I prefer instead of manually resizing the browser's window. :)

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

If it is only a CSS problem then it should be possible to tweak it using the likes of Stylish (or Stylus).

This sort of thing...

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

@-moz-document url-prefix('chrome://uBlock0/content/dashboard.html')
{
    html, body
    {
        padding-top: 35px !important;
        position: sticky !important;
    }

#dashboard-nav
    {
        position: absolute !important;
    }
}

...I don't use uBlock Origin either so I haven't tested this.

Ben.

On 9/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, VistaLover said:

... A simpler solution, at least according to me ;) , would be to just create a new bookmark pointing to "about:about":

oDeN0xB.jpg

Result in St52:

RquyWRU.jpg

Of course, this is just a personal preference :P ... Others may be fine with installing a dedicated extension, along with an additional toolbar button... In any case, my moto is: "The more choice there is, the better" ! :yes: ...

Agreed! The more choice there is, the better! Your solution of creating a bookmark, I did many years ago. One bookmark of tons of others. In the moment you want to access this bookmark you have to find it, one of many, many others. And you can't put all important in the first place. Therefore, you have to remember where it is. Not a very interesting solution for me! I prefer a button that is always in a specific place and can be reached with one click. But even more cool is that the Toolbar Buttons extension contains a total of 100 buttons with which you can retrofit many missing functions in the UXP browsers, e.g., Clear Data, Clear Cache, Restart, and so on. I therefore prefer the Toolbar Buttons extension and can only recommend it to everyone. 
yes.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

One bookmark of tons of others. In the moment you want to access this bookmark you have to find it, one of many, many others. And you can't put all important in the first place. Therefore, you have to remember where it is. Not a very interesting solution for me!

... With respect (and I'm not just saying so ;) ), I still differ here, because it's extremely easy to locate/identify one specific bookmark if you have a vague recollection of its name... By habit, I mostly use the bookmarks sidebar, not the bookmarks toolbar, and it comes with a very handy bookmark search bar... I have more than 1,000 bookmarks myself, but by just typing the keyword "about" in that search bar, I have quasi-instant access to the "about:about" bookmark:

m2LNifQ.jpg

Please also remember that any extension, when enabled, will consume an additional amount of RAM, although I suspect in the case of TB it'd be infinitesimal... If you already have TB installed in order to use one of its many "other" buttons, then all would be fine, but I wouldn't myself install it just for the sake of an "about:about" button... :whistle:

As I said already, "whatever tickles your fancy" :D ...

Kindest regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

I suspect in the case of TB it'd be infinitesimal.

Indeed! These buttons consume an infinitesimal amount of RAM. Therefore, my favourite solution! One click and no searching! The less clicks, the better!

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

"whatever tickles your fancy"

I already knew this saying, even though I'm not a native English speaker. But, thanks for your hint!

Kindest regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Please would someone shed light about why some of the links near the bottom of this page do not work ?

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/en/pc-money-account/

In particular, the link called 'Legal Stuff' does nothing when I click on it, and also the plus signs next to some of the questions not far above that link, which I think should expand answers next to each.

I have tried recent [2022 May 28] builds of New Moon 28 and Serpent, and neither seem to open these parts of the page.

Thanks.

Edited by Davesnothere
order

6 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Please would someone shed light about why some of the links near the bottom of this page do not work ?

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/en/pc-money-account/

In particular, the link called 'Legal Stuff' does nothing when I click on it

Hello @Davesnothere, your link "Legal Stuff" works if you allow JavaScript in your extension in DCBrowser, works in New Moon 28, BUT doesn't work in Serpent 52 and Basilisk Moebius...

Edited by msfntor

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

Hello @Davesnothere, your link "Legal Stuff" works if you allow JavaScript in your extension in DCBrowser, works in New Moon 28, BUT doesn't work in Serpent 52 and Basilisk Moebius...

Thanks for the quick reply.

However, I'm not sure where you are pointing me.

The only JavaScript-related setting which I have in New Moon 28.10.6 is this one [see pic], and it is enabled.

Other JS elements seem to work, such as hovering over the edit box icons here at MSFN.

In about:config, there is a whole page of JS settings, and they are all set to their defaults.

Are you saying that I need to add an extension ?

NM 28-10-6 Preferences, Content.PNG

Edited by Davesnothere