My Browser Builds (Part 3)

4 hours ago, basilisk-dev said:

I am the owner of the Basilisk project.

While I have no issue with Serpent being developed, at this time I do not plan to restore Windows XP support into the official Basilisk release. In the last release I reinstated 32-bit Windows 7 builds. Those of you on a newer 32 bit Windows OS should be able to use those builds. The 2022.08.06 32 bit installer has a bug where the installer does not actually run on 32 bit OSes. That will be fixed in the next release sometime in September.

I do intend to remove the Serpent branding from the upstream Basilisk repo. I will let roytam1 have that and create a new unofficial branding for people who use self compiled Basilisk builds so there is no confusion.

If there are any bugs that affect both the official Basilisk and Serpent feel free to open an issue and I'll see if I can address it. Please make sure bugs affect Basilisk first before reporting them, I can't provide any support for Serpent.

What a very gracious posting and introduction - welcome.

3 hours ago, basilisk-dev said:

I am the owner of the Basilisk project.

While I have no issue with Serpent being developed, at this time I do not plan to restore Windows XP support into the official Basilisk release. In the last release I reinstated 32-bit Windows 7 builds. Those of you on a newer 32 bit Windows OS should be able to use those builds. The 2022.08.06 32 bit installer has a bug where the installer does not actually run on 32 bit OSes. That will be fixed in the next release sometime in September.

I do intend to remove the Serpent branding from the upstream Basilisk repo. I will let roytam1 have that and create a new unofficial branding for people who use self compiled Basilisk builds so there is no confusion.

If there are any bugs that affect both the official Basilisk and Serpent feel free to open an issue and I'll see if I can address it. Please make sure bugs affect Basilisk first before reporting them, I can't provide any support for Serpent.

Welcome to MSFN.

Edited by mina7601

38 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

What is really hoped for "here" is that you "accept/acknowledge" the existence of the "fork" and that both user groups (Bk+St52) mutually benefit between them... :)

I agree, the existence of both Basilisk and Serpent is beneficial for all of us. I am aware of the hostility that occurred here in the past with Matt A Tobin (I have read the roytam1 browser threads here on MSFN for years) and I am aware of the events that occurred with the MyPal browser. I have no hostility towards anyone who uses Windows XP, I think we can work together to make great web browsers.

I'll look into the PDF issue, there is definitely a bug somewhere in Basilisk that occurred between January and August.

11 minutes ago, basilisk-dev said:

I agree, the existence of both Basilisk and Serpent is beneficial for all of us. I am aware of the hostility that occurred here in the past with Matt A Tobin (I have read the roytam1 browser threads here on MSFN for years) and I am aware of the events that occurred with the MyPal browser. I have no hostility towards anyone who uses Windows XP, I think we can work together to make great web browsers.

I'll look into the PDF issue, there is definitely a bug somewhere in Basilisk that occurred between January and August.

Hello @basilisk-dev! We are so glad to hear all that! Developing great browsers is truly of inestimable benefit to all and no one can lose out. Welcome to MSFN! welcome3.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

On 8/15/2022 at 9:44 AM, roytam1 said:

I tried to revert this changes in git HEAD, you may try again when next build is available.

... Apologies for the tardiness in responding to this... :blushing:

Indeed, reverting:

- Bug 1191042 - Use CreateOffscreen for WebGL instead of CreateHeadless. - r=jrmuizel (f98fd02e59)

in your "palemoon27" tree:

https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27/commit/1a712471fb1ffc702fabc8ee3dcaf5e17783a9b3

fixes ALL the issues I had with NM27 builds after package "palemoon-27.10.0.win32-git-20220723-b6b16147cc-xpmod.7z" :cheerleader:. Below is latest NM27 release:

7N7jeJZ.jpg

WebGL Renderer is, again, being enabled by default, "about:support" loads as expected (without crashing the whole browser) even when the "about:config" pref "webgl.force-enabled" is toggled to "true" :cheerleader: ...

Many thanks! :)

In the last week or so, Moonchild updated his Gitea instance in the

https://repo.palemoon.org/*

code repos, from v1.12.1 straight to v1.17.1; while this was probably a good thing in itself, as the updated version comes with patched security holes, fixed bugs and new features (including localisation to my native tongue, Greek, of all things :thumbup), it has unfortunately resulted in broken support in the Goanna3-based apps, namely New Moon 27 :( ; "buttons" with drop-down menus no longer work, same for "ellipsis" (...) buttons and several other GUI areas (e.g., you now can't change the Gitea localisation via the footer "button") ... Below screen grab is from
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/issues
loaded in latest NM27:

m5sa5Fr.jpg

The issue sorting buttons remain unresponsive :( ; likewise, when loading

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/commits/branch/27.9_RelBranch

9Tz28PU.jpg

tree branches can't be selected via the branch button, nor can you expand a commit's message via the ellipsis button :( ...

Web Console reports: 

SyntaxError: invalid for/in left-hand side   index.js:9:211593

where the culprit file is
https://repo.palemoon.org/assets/js/index.js?v=7ea14c4ca3b4ece8917e08968da69260

Can something be done to restore Gitea support, or is everything lost in NM27? NB that GitHub is severely broken, too, while GitLab won't even load at all, so this latest development practically rules out NM27 for "reading" the most frequently used open-source, on-line, code repositories... :realmad: 
Thankfully, UXP-based apps can handle Gitea v1.17.1 fine... ;)

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Already reported upstream:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=28747

.... Switch to a Chromium-based browser for Google's proprietary services... :realmad:

perhaps the palefill extension can be enhanced to add such missing support into UXP-based browsers, but it's not ready yet

Thank you for that information VistaLover.   You're an invaluable source of information and we're very lucky to have you here at MSFN. 

Thanks again and take care.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Molecular-Signals-of-Epigenetic-States-Bonasio-Tu/a18fbff79418f690335a3a357d198e72b436c390

Who can  open the website above AND click away the ACCEPT & CONTINUE button to gain  FULL access to this website with  the latest versions of New Moon or Serpent ?

Please,note if you use the SSE or IA32 version or did any
user agent spoofing.
                                     -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far it worked for :   Skorpios   (NM28,user agent spoofing ?)

Reino        (NM28 SSE, FUll access ?
                                                     user agent spoofing  ?)                                                            

It didn't work for :        anton12     (NM28 SSE,Serpent IA32,
                                                     no user agent  spoofing)                                                           

mina7601   (Serpent no IA32 ,
                                                      no user agent  spoofing)                  

Edited by anton12

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Molecular-Signals-of-Epigenetic-States-Bonasio-Tu/a18fbff79418f690335a3a357d198e72b436c390

Who can  open the website above AND click away the ACCEPT & CONTINUE button to gain  FULL access to this website with  the latest versions of New Moon (NM28) or Serpent ?

user agent spoofing.

So far it worked for :  

user agent spoofing ?)                                                          

no user agent spoofing)                                                                                                   
                                                      no user agent  spoofing)  

msfntor      (Serpent,NM28,Moebius)

XPerceniol  (Serpent,MyPal68)

Skorpios     (not fully working with
                                                       NM28,Serpent,MyPal68)

Edited by anton12

1 hour ago, anton12 said:

Works on 360Chrome 13, 360Chrome 13.5, and DCBrowser.

All my other browsers doesn't work (Moebius 55, Serpent 52, New Moon 28, etc) - so the ACCEPT & CONTINUE button doesn't work.

Okay, don't mean to go off on a rant here, but seriously, WHO CHANGES THE PROFILE LOCATION in MailNews?

I've upgraded MailNews before, usually a couple times before, along with New Moon, and it's all gone well before using my auto install scripts, since it upgrades the application.

However, it now appears to be looking in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\OpenSource\MailNews instead of %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Binary Outcast\Interlink\Profiles

This is a *HUGE* break in compatibility and a divergence from the previously offered backwards compatibility.

Sorry if I missed some announcement about this or something, but this is a huge change that is bound to mess up the entire userbase. I have 11 email accounts and 8 GB of email, it literally takes 3 hours to get the email accounts setup properly in MailNews. (Modern TB, to give it credit where credit is due, is way way faster, maybe less than half an hour. Interlink still uses the obsolete conception of separate IMAP and SMTP servers for who the heck knows why, which makes configuration of Interlink/MailNews a total PITA)

And it seems the same thing has happened with New Moon as well - EVERYTHING is gone, and I can't even locate where the new profile folder is yet to move stuff from the old one to the new.

Okay, sorry, </rant>, but this definitely made for a grumpy morning and in the future - please, please - such ABI changes should really be avoided unless absolutely necessary, this seems like it wasn't to me, changing Binary Outcast\Interlink to OpenSource\MailNews. At least now that it's happened, hopefully it won't change again.

On a different note, much thanks as always for your continued development on these awesome forks, hope they will continue to be around for a long time! :)

But also serious question - WHERE did the New Moon profile folder move to??? I can't find it.

... and to make it worse, it doesn't seem the profile can be moved.

I *copied* (I suspected moving might be a bad idea) the old profile folder to the new location.

Initially I got all the standard welcome new user stuff when opening MailNews.

Now I get:

image.png.cbef519852cba9ae841aae49f714efb3.png

Ugh.... I'm an id*** now for upgrading these programs "just cause"... I really just wanted the updated New Moon for the nullish coalescsing/optional chaining support, not this whole can of worms. If there's no way to fix this, I literally have to spend 4 hours setting up my email and another 8-12 hours syncing it. Biggest headache ever.

-

Okay, looks like moving the *contents* of the profile folder as opposed to the profile folder, and overwriting all the default files, does work.

The folder statistics had to rebuild, but at least no lasting damage appears to have been done - my email is back in business.

Now I just need to figure out the New Moon stuff. I didn't have many customization to it, I can rebuild it if necessary and don't mind much, but it would be nice to be able to migrate the profile folder if that can be done.

Edited by InterLinked

7 hours ago, anton12 said:

Who can  open the website above AND click away the ACCEPT & CONTINUE button to gain  FULL access to this website with  the latest versions of New Moon (NM28) or Serpent ?

Even on mypal68 just clicking and clicking on ACCEPT & CONTINUE and it does nothing. Fun to keep clicking on the button and its animates. all kidding aside: Same with Serpent 52 SSE.

360v11 and Dc Browser full access, so I've no idea why, guess its only chrome site, no shock anymore; sad to say.

12 hours ago, anton12 said:

user agent spoofing.

So far it worked for :   Skorpios   (NM28,user agent spoofing ?)

user agent spoofing ?)                                                          

no user agent spoofing)                                                   

no user agent  spoofing)  

msfntor      (Serpent,NM28,Moebius)

XPerceniol  (Serpent,MyPal68)

I don't even see that "Accept & Continue" button in NM28, Serpent52/55, Mypal29.3/68, AFEE360_ver11/13.5 or Kafan. Documents, links and accessing PDF files are working. I have the extension "I don't care about cookies" installed in all of them. All of them also have uBO installed except for Mypal68 where I use Adblocker Ultimate.

Using K-Meleon I get that annoying cr@p and clicking on it doesn't make it go away but the site is working anyway. "To gain FULL access" as you wrote I guess you have to create a free account. I tried that with K-Meleon but nothing happens when I click on the button "Create Free Account".

Same thing with NM28, Serpent52, Mypal68 and AFEE360_ver11, I'm not able to create an account...

AFEE360_ver13.5 probably OK, looks like this but I didn't continue:
https://imgur.com/ZTuyO9r

Kafan also probably OK:
https://imgur.com/fARVHdl

Notice: someone using Google Cloud IP (34.76.158.*) to excessively downloading all my releases at the time and filled up my bandwidth, so I blocked that IP in CF for your information.

Edited by roytam1