My Browser Builds (Part 3)

13 hours ago, tpao12 said:

Have you kept those XPI files? 

I searched for it on Google, it doesn't seem to exist anymore. 

The Classic Add-ons Archive is the first place in general to look for old, legacy add-ons. Of course, not all of them will work, you simply have to try. If you want to use YouTube in NM 28 itself, I recommend the extension uTube. Here is a link: https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/uTube/ 
You'll have to change the minVersion in the file install.rdf to 28.10.0. With this extension, you get rid of all unnecessary crap on YouTube, showing the video only.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi1fun.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Thank you everyone for bringing my old computer to life again. I'd be happy to try these add-ons soon.

And Roytam1's Browser is a good choice for older XP/Vista versions.

And most people don't think about the options that are available.

7 hours ago, tpao12 said:

Thank you everyone for bringing my old computer to life again. I'd be happy to try these add-ons soon.

And Roytam1's Browser is a good choice for older XP/Vista versions.

And most people don't think about the options that are available.

One thing I forgot to mention. If you want to watch YouTube videos in VLC, you presumably have to update the file youtube.luac in VLC folder lua. Without updating, I couldn't watch streams in VLC. Here is a link: https://github.com/videolan/vlc/blob/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua. You simply have to renane the file youtube.lua to youtube.luac and replace the old, already existing file. This file is updated regulary.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi1fun.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

9 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Somehow, that linked XPI is best suited for MacOS; the Windows variant is below:

caa:addon/vlc-youtube-shortcut/versions?page=1#version-0.8.3.2 (windows)

and the direct dl/install link is:

https://ca-archive.us.to/storage/475/475080/vlc_youtube_shortcut-0.8.3.2-fx-windows.xpi

10 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Somehow, that linked XPI is best suited for MacOS; the Windows variant is below:

caa:addon/vlc-youtube-shortcut/versions?page=1#version-0.8.3.2 (windows)

and the direct dl/install link is:

https://ca-archive.us.to/storage/475/475080/vlc_youtube_shortcut-0.8.3.2-fx-windows.xpi

Ah, I see now.

You have to click on "View al 14 versions".

Edited by nicolaasjan

I can also use the "Open With" extension to open video's in VLC, but then I only get 640x360, not 1280x720. :(

VLC doesn't seem to use ffmpeg to combine the separate audio and video streams, but then it should show 1280x720.

And I can't find a MPV version that works on XP (and yes, I have the latest yt-dlp working on XP :cool:).

I tried mpv-i686-20151029, but it didn't work. only heard the sound, not even a window.

Edited by nicolaasjan

18 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I see ... I've been keeping module scripting disabled anyway.

user_pref("javascript.options.asmjs", false);
user_pref("javascript.options.baselinejit", false);
user_pref("javascript.options.shared_memory", false);
user_pref("javascript.options.wasm", false);
user_pref("javascript.use_US_english_locale", true);

dom.moduleScripts.enabled;false

Will see what happens going forward; I guess.

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

If you want to watch YouTube videos in VLC...

This is probably a bit off-topic, but... assuming we're all still using WinXP on old hardware, how do you even manage to run the VLC gui? VLC 2.2.8 is for me the latest release that starts the gui upon double-clicking 'vlc.exe'. Whenever I double-click on 'vlc.exe' of any newer version, including the latest v3.0.17.4, it just starts the cli and I have no idea how to start the gui instead.
Normally I never use VLC, because MPC-HC is my main mediaplayer, but I was just curious.

2 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

I have the latest yt-dlp working on XP :cool:

How, if I might ask? Afaik yt-dlp isn't WinXP compatible, let alone for old hardware.

Edited by Reino

43 minutes ago, Reino said:
12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

If you want to watch YouTube videos in VLC...

This is probably a bit off-topic, but... assuming we're all still using WinXP on old hardware, how do you even manage to run the VLC gui? VLC 2.2.8 is for me the latest release that starts the gui upon double-clicking 'vlc.exe'. Whenever I double-click on 'vlc.exe' of any newer version, including the latest v3.0.17.4, it just starts the cli and I have no idea how to start the gui instead.
Normally I never use VLC, because MPC-HC is my main mediaplayer, but I was just curious.

Hi @Reino, I run, without any problems, VLC 3.0.16 in Windows XP Professional SP3, fully POSReady updated, on a very old computer with a Pentium 4 single core CPU 2.8 GHz and 1.5 GB SD-RAM. The youtube.luac file is the latest, provided by the link in my post above. It's fully functional, and supposedly, the latest version 3.0.17.4 is compatible with Windows XP either (I read that on their homepage). Therefore, I can't confirm your problems. :no:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

4 hours ago, Reino said:

how do you even manage to run the VLC gui?
VLC 2.2.8 is for me the latest release that starts the gui upon double-clicking 'vlc.exe'.
Whenever I double-click on 'vlc.exe' of any newer version, including the latest v3.0.17.4,
it just starts the cli and I have no idea how to start the gui instead.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

the latest version 3.0.17.4 is compatible with Windows XP [either] (I read that on their homepage). Therefore, I can't confirm your problems. :no:

@Reino's old CPU (up to SSE instructions set, only?) is probably incompatible with the VLC 3.x.x branch; see reported issue(s):

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/20033

and

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/21887

The VLC frontend (GUI) is built with the Qt Framework and somewhere in there lies the incompatibility with older CPUs... :(

@AstroSkipper, is your "Pentium 4 single core CPU" capable of SSE2/3? if yes, that's the reason you can launch the VLC 3 GUI...

@Reino: To load those GitLab links, you have to install the latest palefill extension onto your NM28-SSE build... :whistle:

Edited by VistaLover

VLC 3.0.17.4 also runs fine here on a Lenovo T60 with Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 and WINXP SP3 POSReady "hacked". My second thought was also about SSE2.

BTW @VistaLover it doesn't matter if it's a single core or whatever P4 - all Intel Pentium 4 CPUs since the first incarnation "Willamette" support SSE2. The Willamette introduced SSE2 into the market in ~2000, AMD got it licensed and introduced it with there first Opteron/Athlon 64 CPUs (codename Hammer) in 2003.
So I guess @Reino has an Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon XP or earlier!?

BTW2 the site https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/20033 doesn't show anything except the top and left menu with latest NM28.

BTW3 I really appreciate VLC media player for having a simple GUI, being OSS and for being very backward compatible for years. The latest versions for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME (VLC 0.8.6i), Windows NT 4.0 (VLC 1.0.5) and Windows 2000 SP4 (VLC 1.1.11) are available for download from my website -> soggi.org - tools.
Maybe I should add VLC 2.2.8 for non-SSE2 CPUs running WinXP!?

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

8 hours ago, Reino said:

How, if I might ask? Afaik yt-dlp isn't WinXP compatible, let alone for old hardware.

I found a modified version of Python 3.7 for XP (from @cmalex) and compiled yt-dlp myself with that.

(see also here)

Had to copy the module files to Lib and Scripts from a Vista system with 3.7, because I got errors when trying to install these in XP.

Also had to edit 'pyinst.py' to leave out the 'websockets' module, also because of error.

Here is the executable if you want to try out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/sxc6hcxwwsv87p3/yt-dlp_x86_2022.07.03_XP.zip

[debug] Command-line config: ['-vU']
[debug] User config "C:\Documents and Settings\Nico\Application Data\yt-dlp\config.txt": ['--no-mtime', '--add-metadata', '--embed-thumbnail', '--convert-thumbnails', 'jpg', '--ppa', 'ffmpeg:-metadata synopsis=""', '-o', '~/Bureaublad/%(title)s.%(ext)s', '-f', 'bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4][vcodec!*=av01]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best', '--downloader', 'aria2c', '--downloader-args', 'aria2c:-x 10 -s 10 -j 10 -k 1M --log-level=info --file-allocation=none']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, pref cp1252, out cp1252 (No VT), error cp1252 (No VT), screen cp1252 (No VT)
[debug] yt-dlp version 2022.07.03 [385f7f389] (win32_exe)
[debug] Python 3.7.1 (CPython 32bit) - Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 
[debug] Checking exe version: ffmpeg -bsfs
[debug] Checking exe version: ffprobe -bsfs
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-106824-gf3b7ba2-Reino (fdk,setts), ffprobe N-106824-gf3b7ba2-Reino
[debug] Optional libraries: Cryptodome-3.15.0, brotli-1.0.9, certifi-2022.06.15, mutagen-1.45.1, sqlite3-2.6.0
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[debug] Fetching release info: https://api.github.com/repos/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/latest
Latest version: 2022.06.29, Current version: 2022.07.03
yt-dlp is up to date (2022.07.03)

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@AstroSkipper, is your "Pentium 4 single core CPU" capable of SSE2/3? if yes, that's the reason you can launch the VLC 3 GUI...

My mentioned Pentium 4 has the instruction set SSE2. AFAIK, all Pentium 4 have a SSE2 instruction set at least. @Reino didn't provide any hardware details. I didn't want to make assumptions. But, you are absolutely right. If @Reino's CPU is a SSE only one, I can understand why VLC 3 doesn't work, and unfortunately, a lot of other software either.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif