My Browser Builds (Part 3)

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Official UXP changes picked since my last build:

- Issue #21 - Follow-up: Remove some left-over telemetry plumbing. (c43ed8d93)

- Issue #1937 - Follow-up: Add missing sources and includes in sources.mozbuild (8c7e76360)
- Issue #1937 - Follow-up: Add missing sources, and remove unneeded ones in sources.mozbuild (463a50276)
- Issue #1937 - Follow-up: Remove some unnecessary includes and sources from sources.mozbuild (6f97a5012)

No official Pale-Moon changes picked since my last build.

No official Basilisk changes picked since my last build.

My changes picked since my last build:
- DownloadUIHelper: move `async` keyword position to prevent raising javascript error. (3926096df)

Thank you for your latest updates and keeping your Serpent Browser alive and working very well nowadays all things considered. Very impressive!

Edited by XPerceniol

A bit unrelated... but as one Waterfox classic contributor is trying to add a big missing Javascript feature into WC (Module/Dynamic imports) - i wonder if this can also be adopted to Pale Moon/New Moon?

https://github.com/WaterfoxCo/Waterfox-Classic/issues/121

The only issue is that Pale Moon/New Moon is based on the Firefox 52 engine while WC is based on 56. But its one big addition which would be able to remove another big web incompatibility issue for UXP based browsers if that one somehow could be added.

@roytam1 What do you think about this?

Edited by Saphir

I know by this point I shouldn't be confused (me, mister blobfish, confused ... imagine that ... lol) is Serpent actually still considered to be FF52.7 (I thought that is where they picked up from, trying to recall early 2018) and Serpent 55 (actually) being just early beta snapshot of the beginnings of 53 with even more missing but Roy is giving life to it now with his St55. I've been wondering with these updates if that has changed anything as the engine is no longer gecho (sort of, of course).

I don't use waterfox or firefox, but I imagine from what I've read, its morphed into chrome and strayed away from what 'once was'.

Yeah, just looked at the link and I've got so much disabled so I don't experience what is missing if it ain't there, but I've come accustomed to less is more theory. Good think and also not so good.

I don't think your posting is off topic at all - everything people bring to the table counts :yes:

Edited by XPerceniol

4 hours ago, tpao12 said:

@XPerceniol Thank you. This method can help me a lot without having to press every time.

spacer.png

I'm so glad to hear those settings helped you on that system and thanks for the screen grab. My Dell Dimension 3000 also has a Prescott Pentium 4 single core. Another another option is to try Roys FF45ESR build and you'll find the script is handled even better for low end devices.

Another thing: I don't know, since its your uncles computer, you may not be able to make changes, but on my Prescott 4 I DO enable hyper threading in the bios. While on my Dell Optiplex ( my main computer ) Dual-core, I do not.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/hyper-threading.html

We do what we can to make it work for us ....:cheerleader:

Edited by XPerceniol

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm so glad to hear those settings helped you on that system and thanks for the screen grab. My Dell Dimension 3000 also has a Prescott Pentium 4 single core. Another another option is to try Roys FF45ESR build and you'll find the script is handled even better for low end devices.

Another thing: I don't know, since its your uncles computer, you may not be able to make changes, but on my Prescott 4 I DO enable hyper threading in the bios. While on my Dell Optiplex ( my main computer ) Dual-core, I do not.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/hyper-threading.html

We do what we can to make it work for us ....:cheerleader:

Thanks for your additional information. Computers are designed for the office. But it looks like it was left and no one used it.

My Specs

HP Compaq dx7200 (Slim Tower) 

Ram Up To 4GB

HDD 500 GB

Video card ATI Radeon HD 5450 1gb

It's perfect for playing my old games.

Edited by tpao12

Hi there. Among the things I tweak in about:config are the following, and am wondering if anybody has played/studied these settings (which are set to true by default):

user_pref("javascript.options.shared_memory", false); // set *-*
user_pref("javascript.options.baselinejit", false); // set *-*
user_pref("javascript.options.wasm", false); // set

The case to disable wasm thing seems clear: https://github.com/stevespringett/disable-webassembly

The other two, I believe, are related to meltdown and specter. See (for windows 7):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4073119-windows-client-guidance-for-it-pros-to-protect-against-silicon-based-microarchitectural-and-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-35820a8a-ae13-1299-88cc-357f104f5b11

Any thoughts on whether to keep them disabled?

Edited by dmiranda

On 7/2/2022 at 12:58 AM, roytam1 said:

I would like to mention that the error "uncaught exception: 2147746065" in "resource:///modules/activity/autosync.js" and at Line 210 is a very commonly occurring error that appears in my MailNews Error Console.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:02 PM, tpao12 said:

Serpent 52 There are no related links. It will appear when playing video.

Hi @tpao12, sorry for the delay! Wasn't online the last two days! Glad that it works for you now with the help of @XPerceniol. I do have an old Pentium 4 too, truth be told, even a generation older than yours, and I play all videos in VLC with the help of the extension VLC Youtube Shortcut 0.8.3.2 to avoid the crappy YouTube site. To search for YouTube videos, I use the website Invidious. Maybe, you like it.

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, dmiranda said:

user_pref("javascript.options.baselinejit", false); // set *-*
user_pref("javascript.options.wasm", false); // set

There is also a pref "javascript.options.wasm_baselinejit". I assume it becomes irrelevant if javascript.options.wasm is set to false, but I don't really know....

Very good news for all using GitHub. The extension palefill has been updated to version 1.15. Now, GitHub is working in NM 28, presumably, in all other roytam1 releases too, as it was and should be.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

On 7/3/2022 at 2:34 AM, Saphir said:

A bit unrelated... but as one Waterfox classic contributor is trying to add a big missing Javascript feature into WC (Module/Dynamic imports) - i wonder if this can also be adopted to Pale Moon/New Moon?

https://github.com/WaterfoxCo/Waterfox-Classic/issues/121

The only issue is that Pale Moon/New Moon is based on the Firefox 52 engine while WC is based on 56. But its one big addition which would be able to remove another big web incompatibility issue for UXP based browsers if that one somehow could be added.

@roytam1 What do you think about this?

they have an issue tracking this: https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1691

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @tpao12, sorry for the delay! Wasn't online the last two days! Glad that it works for you now with the help of @XPerceniol. I do have an old Pentium 4 too, truth be told, even a generation older than yours, and I play all videos in VLC with the help of the extension VLC Youtube Shortcut 0.8.3.2 to avoid the crappy YouTube site. To search for YouTube videos, I use the website Invidious. Maybe, you like it.

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Have you kept those XPI files? 

I searched for it on Google, it doesn't seem to exist anymore. 

4 hours ago, tpao12 said:

Have you kept those XPI files? 

I searched for it on Google, it doesn't seem to exist anymore. 

It's in the Classic Add-ons Archive. :)

https://ca-archive.us.to/storage/475/475080/vlc_youtube_shortcut-0.8.3.2-fx-mac.xpi

[Edit]

Maybe you'll have to add to install.rdf:

<!-- Pale Moon -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>28.10.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>31.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Edited by nicolaasjan