My Browser Builds (Part 3)

41 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

do you know the last Chrome version (and perhaps more importantly, which version of Android System WebView) where this "feature" either doesn't exist or can be disabled?

Sadly, no idea - as I've posted previously, I don't own a "Smart" device, so Android/iOS aren't able to "outsmart" me :whistle:... But I'm sure an online search will get you all the info...

46 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

I'm not even sure if Windows 7 will run Chrome 103!

It will: Google Extends Chrome Support for Windows 7 Users

49 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

But I'll be very interested in how Mozilla chooses to implement Secure DNS.

They have already: Firefox DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)

On 5/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, VistaLover said:

They have already: Firefox DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)

It looks like Mozilla at least keeps the user informed and in control:

Benefits

DoH improves privacy by hiding domain name lookups from someone lurking on public Wi-Fi, your ISP, or anyone else on your local network. DoH, when enabled, ensures that your ISP cannot collect and sell personal information related to your browsing behavior.

Risks

• Some individuals and organizations rely on DNS to block malware, enable parental controls, or filter your browser’s access to websites. When enabled, DoH bypasses your local DNS resolver and defeats these special policies. When enabling DoH by default for users, Firefox allows users (via settings) and organizations (via enterprise policies and a canary domain lookup) to disable DoH when it interferes with a preferred policy.
  • When DoH is enabled, Firefox by default directs DoH queries to DNS servers that are operated by a trusted partner, which has the ability to see users' queries. Mozilla has a strong Trusted Recursive Resolver (TRR) policy in place that forbids our partners from collecting personal identifying information. To mitigate this risk, our partners are contractually bound to adhere to this policy.

Opt-out

If you’re an existing Firefox user in a locale where we’ve rolled out DoH by default, you’ll receive a notification in Firefox if and when DoH is first enabled, allowing you to choose not to use DoH and instead continue using your default OS DNS resolver.

In addition, Firefox will check for certain functions that might be affected if DoH is enabled, including:

• Are parental controls enabled?
  • Is the default DNS server filtering potentially malicious content?
  • Is the device managed by an organization that might have a special DNS configuration?

If any of these tests determine that DoH might interfere with the function, DoH will not be enabled. These tests will run every time the device connects to a different network.

Manually enabling and disabling DNS-over-HTTPS

You can enable or disable DoH in your Firefox connection settings:

1. Click the menu button and select Options.
  2. In the General panel, scroll down to Network Settings and click the Settings… button.
  3. In the dialog box that opens, scroll down to Enable DNS over HTTPS.
  • On: Select the Enable DNS over HTTPS checkbox. Select a provider or set up a custom provider (see below).
  • Off: Deselect the Enable DNS over HTTPS checkbox.

That's the way it should be. You can disable it, or choose a DoH provider other than the default Cloudflare.

I don't entirely trust Mozilla, but I trust them more than Google!

11 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

I don't entirely trust Mozilla, but I trust them more than Google!

It's the OPPOSITE for me.  To Google, I am but a needle in a haystack the size of China.  To Mozilla, I am but a needle in a haystack the size of Cleveland.

20 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

It's the OPPOSITE for me.  To Google, I am but a needle in a haystack the size of China.  To Mozilla, I am but a needle in a haystack the size of Cleveland.

What are you doing in this thread then, I wonder.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, Mathwiz said:

OK, have not done that.

From your query, I take it the button icons are actually a customized character font, much the same as many Web sites (including MSFN) use to add small icons to their sites.

Let me fire up the 32-bit version of St 55, which still shows the bug on my home PC, and see if a similar bug affects the icons at the top of the MSFN page.

Hmm.... MSFN's icons appear normal, even though St 55's icons are fouled up:

image.thumb.png.2e4a81918952f12cf6227a1e619dbdcc.png

Still, I think you're onto something. Just can't quite figure it out yet.

Found another possible clue. All the icons I'm having problems with post-4/29 are contained in files found at <serpent install directory>\browser\omni.ja\chrome\browser\skin\classic\browser and named Toolbar*.png. The .png appears to be a simple left-to-right array of icons, with the "oops" icon seen in the above screen shot as the left-most icon.

So this seems to be some kind of indexing error, where all the icon indexes somehow get reset to zero (but only on my home PC, not my work PC)!

Maybe it's as simple as my theme? BRB.... Edit: Nope, that didn't work. Actually, I should have known, because I already tried a clean profile, which of course uses the default theme.

Edited by Mathwiz

21 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Found another possible clue. All the icons I'm having problems with post-4/29 are contained in files found at <serpent install directory>\browser\omni.ja\chrome\browser\skin\classic\browser and named Toolbar*.png. The .png appears to be a simple left-to-right array of icons, with the "oops" icon seen in the above screen shot as the left-most icon.

So this seems to be some kind of indexing error, where all the icon indexes somehow get reset to zero (but only on my home PC, not my work PC)!

Maybe it's as simple as my theme? BRB.... Edit: Nope, that didn't work. Actually, I should have known, because I already tried a clean profile, which of course uses the default theme.

Same here! All toolbar icons in Serpent v. 55 are one and the same.

The problem disappeared if I change DPI settings from large fonts (120 DPI) to normal size (96 DPI).

Unfortunately, I don't want to squint at the screen, so...

2 hours ago, Proteus said:

Same here! All toolbar icons in Serpent v. 55 are one and the same.

The problem disappeared if I change DPI settings from large fonts (120 DPI) to normal size (96 DPI).

Unfortunately, I don't want to squint at the screen, so...

alright with 120dpi I can reproduce the problem

5 hours ago, Proteus said:

That's weird; I tried that too, but the problem didn't disappear for me.

Oh, well; at least others can reproduce the problem now!

2 hours ago, Egorkaru said:

roytam1, can you explain to me, why the site with your browsers for Windows XP https://o.rthost.win does not open via HTTPS in the Google Chrome 49 browser under Windows XP SP3? I am getting error "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH".

maybe cloudflare do some changes about TLS cipher. you may just change back to http:// instead as my domain doesn't enforce HTTPS usage.

16 hours ago, Egorkaru said:

https://o.rthost.win does not open via HTTPS in the Google Chrome 49 browser under Windows XP SP3? I am getting error "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH".

Chrome 49 uses WinXP's built-in support for secure (https:) connections. You need to have WinXP fully updated, including the POSReady '09 updates, to support TLS 1.2 and AES, in order to have any chance at all of making secure connections to many of today's Web hosts, and even that may not be enough! For the best chance, use a MITM proxy:

7 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

For the best chance, use a MITM proxy:

Is there any way to download the Serpent 52 browser on clean installed Windows XP SP3 without MITM proxy?