My Browser Builds (Part 3)

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:
15 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

neither replacing it with cert8.db from my backed up good profile of official 64bit Pale Moon.

This should be generally avoided, as "upstream" use a different modded version of the NSS Mozilla library (hence cert8.db+key3.db resultant profile files); at least that's my recollection of them, I stopped closely following their development when they turned "private-repo" last autumn :sneaky: (FWIW, GRE+PM are now public, again :rolleyes: ).

Thanks.

No harm done here, because I did the testing in a VM snapshot, which has already been reverted. :)

On 2/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, dmiranda said:

[downthemall] used to work like a charm until 3 months ago. Now it consistently generates "server error *".

@nicolaasjan, @RainyShadow. After a long search, I found the problem with this, as well as difficulties downloading addons from dfferent platforms. The problem was eMatrix 5.0, when tightening too much. I had the following umatrix rule:

matrix-off: behind-the-scene false

But since two or three versions ago, it interferes with the above.  The solution, other than changing it to true, is to also add the following 3 rules (I'm not yet sure if the first two are strictly necessary)

behind-the-scene * css inherit
behind-the-scene * image inherit
behind-the-scene * other allow

Hope it helps someone else.

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe, IceDove, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest New Moon 28 Win64 20220326 bugfix build

---------------------------------------------------------

15 hours ago, xrayer said:

I cannot agree, I have very different experiences with ReactOS. I watch this project since it started. It's improving but still mostly a toy for VM rather for a real HW where it often fails to install. I compared with WinXP on Pentium Pro machine with 192MB RAM and WinXP are significantly more responsive and do less CPU load than ReactOS...

OK...I can't imagine anything more unresponsive than WinXP on a Pentium Pro... xD
Unfortunately I don't have the time to test it myself on several HW configs. Just tested latest builds on a C2D laptop some months ago. Did you use one of the latest builds? I agree it's still in alpha status and therefor it's not optimal.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

On 3/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, VistaLover said:

Probably what had happened to Windows 9.0 ... :P
In all seriousness though, I think "they" (the Chinese) have adopted the "same application version as current year" model (360EEv21 was first released in 2021)

Yes; IIRC, there was no iPhone 9 either! In Apple's case, they were in a hurry to get to 10, because the Roman numeral for 10 is X, and they wanted to advertise the "iPhone X" (as in Xtreme, I suppose)

But I don't recall M$ ever advertising Windows 10 as "Windows X" or some such nonsense.

Anyway, I hope you're right that the 360EE version is now the year (on the Gregorian calendar) - I just wish M$, Mozilla, and Google would follow suit!

<off topic>My sincere apologies for trying to dissuade @InterLinked from buying an automobile from the era when gasoline in the US still had lead in it (not to mention wishing I could buy an unGoogled EV) - that one comment once again derailed the entire thread with a raft of political propaganda. You'd think I would've learned by now! :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

I'm new here.  I signed up so that I can report a bug in the 64-bit Serpent browser v52.9.0 build 20220326.  My apologies if this has already been reported.  I don't see this particular bug in this thread since 2022-03-26, so I thought I would report it:

Serpent v52.9.0 build 20220326 doesn't load most websites, it is stuck listing in the bottom status bar "Transferring from site.com..." ("site.com" is whatever page is currently trying to load) and the pages don't load, just a white space.  If I load up a private browsing window, sites seem to load no problem.  I had to revert back to the 20220226 build and everything works again.  I tried upgrading again in case it was a fluke, but had the same problem.

I'm on Windows Vista 64 bit.

Hope this helps!  I love this browser!  Thanks for all your hard work RoyTam1!  Helps me to still use some websites that no longer work on Firefox, Chrome, etc. on Vista.

Edited by Tig77

4 hours ago, Tig77 said:

I'm new here.  I signed up so that I can report a bug in the 64-bit Serpent browser v52.9.0 build 20220326.  My apologies if this has already been reported.  I don't see this particular bug in this thread since 2022-03-26, so I thought I would report it:

Serpent v52.9.0 build 20220326 doesn't load most websites, it is stuck listing in the bottom status bar "Transferring from site.com..." ("site.com" is whatever page is currently trying to load) and the pages don't load, just a white space.  If I load up a private browsing window, sites seem to load no problem.  I had to revert back to the 20220226 build and everything works again.  I tried upgrading again in case it was a fluke, but had the same problem.

I'm on Windows Vista 64 bit.

Hope this helps!  I love this browser!  Thanks for all your hard work RoyTam1!  Helps me to still use some websites that no longer work on Firefox, Chrome, etc. on Vista.

please try with previous build to see if problem persists

6 hours ago, roytam1 said:

please try with previous build to see if problem persists

... He already said that he did and the previous 64-bit St52 build works OK:

10 hours ago, Tig77 said:

I had to revert back to the 20220226 build and everything works again.

If I load up a private browsing window, sites seem to load no problem.

Have you tried clearing up both browser cache and cookies and then restart the browser (in normal, non-private, window) ?
If clearing cookies, you'll have to log-in again to the sites you were previously logged-in...
Also, and this is essential, have you tried to replicate your issue with a new/fresh St52 profile?

Helps me to still use some websites that no longer work on Firefox, Chrome, etc. on Vista.

Are those FxESR 52.9.x and Chrome 49/50 (yes, Chrome 50, if you can still find it, works fine on Vista SP2) ?
For the sites not supported in UXP browsers (like Serpent 52/New Moon 28), you can check versions 12 and/or 13 of the Chinese-made 360 Extreme Explorer (Chromium 78/86 forks); you can search for them in other MSFN threads, where you'll hopefully find that two competent fellow MSFN members :thumbup have created and shared modded versions, with practically most of the Chinese "spyware" removed (however, these mods are primarily targeting WinXP usage...). 

Welcome to the forums, fellow Vista user :P !

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

(however, these mods are primarily targeting WinXP usage...)

For now at least  :ph34r:

My current pass-the-time project has been comparing/contrasting/benchmarking Vista "extended kernel" with 7.

The writing has been on the wall for roughly two years that XP isn't going to last "forever".

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The writing has been on the wall for roughly two years that XP isn't going to last "forever".

That has been said so many times... In any case, maybe access to some websites is lost. But for almost all other day to day business still works, and better, than subsequent versions (excluding perhaps a well modded w7).

In my imagination, I can see a near future where I connect into a raspberry-pi 4 for both internet connection and x-windowing of a few apps that require something better than xp and are worth the effort (i.e., apps with no suitable replacement in the "They"-wanna-see-deprecated xp).

Edited by dmiranda

12 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Have you tried clearing up both browser cache and cookies and then restart the browser (in normal, non-private, window) ?
If clearing cookies, you'll have to log-in again to the sites you were previously logged-in...
Also, and this is essential, have you tried to replicate your issue with a new/fresh St52 profile?

Are those FxESR 52.9.x and Chrome 49/50 (yes, Chrome 50, if you can still find it, works fine on Vista SP2) ?
For the sites not supported in UXP browsers (like Serpent 52/New Moon 28), you can check versions 12 and/or 13 of the Chinese-made 360 Extreme Explorer (Chromium 78/86 forks); you can search for them in other MSFN threads, where you'll hopefully find that two competent fellow MSFN members :thumbup have created and shared modded versions, with practically most of the Chinese "spyware" removed (however, these mods are primarily targeting WinXP usage...). 

Welcome to the forums, fellow Vista user :P !

Thanks VistaLover for your suggestions!  I haven't tried clearing the browser cache and cookies.  I really hate to delete all cookies. It's such a pain to sign in to every site especially with two factor authentication cookie setting, etc. just to re-set the cookies again, and as for creating a new/fresh St52 profile, I have so many tabs that I don't want to lose, I really don't want to try that, but excellent suggestions! Are you having any problems with the v52.9.0 20220326 build of Serpent?  I know you're on Vista 32 bit, so not the same 64 bit build as I'm using, just curious.

Thanks for the suggestions about 360 Extreme Explorer.  Sounds interesting.  Might extend the use of Vista even further for web browsing! :)

Edited by Tig77

5 hours ago, Tig77 said:

I really hate to delete all cookies. It's such a pain to sign in to every site especially with two factor authentication cookie setting, etc. just to re-set the cookies again, and as for creating a new/fresh St52 profile,

You don't have to lose your current profile. Just start the profile manager (use the -P command line option) and create a new one. 

You can switch back to your old profile after you are done testing.

21 hours ago, dmiranda said:

...But for almost all other day to day business still works, and better, than subsequent versions (excluding perhaps a well modded w7).

I think I'll never let go of XP as its great for other things besides internet access. Other than that, I think we can always keep it for so long as it stop working totally. I quite enjoy my music recording programs and they are very old and obsolete.