My Browser Builds (Part 3)

58 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

I think your cert8.db is corrupted

Then why does that not affect the 32bit version?

Also, it was a completely fresh profile.

And what can I do about that?

Deleting cert8.db made no difference, neither replacing it with cert8.db from my backed up good profile of official 64bit Pale Moon.

Edited by nicolaasjan

On 3/25/2022 at 8:49 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed!

I've been running XP all these years on hardware that is not only capable of Win 7 / Win 10, but came with Win 7 / Win 10.  I "upgraded" to XP for performance gains at the OS-level and at the web browser level.

I have (finally) come to the conclusion that it is "time" to revert at least a few of my computers to Win 7 because unfortunate as it is for XP, the web browser basically all but "mandates" Win 7 or higher nowadays  :realmad:

I use @roytam1's Serpent browser (52.9.0) in my XP (x86) and it is a great experience. Everything works, only 20220326 version is somehow borked - HD light is on and pages load really slowly, so I reverted back to 20220226 version and is problem free again. :thumbup

Edited by modnar
Forgot to mention Serpent's version.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:07 PM, nicolaasjan said:

With the latest NM 28 (palemoon-28.10.5a1.win64-git-20220326-ba47fad4d-uxp-3336114a3-xpmod)
I have a certificate warning on every website...

SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

This is on Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate.
Happens in a fresh profile as well.

19 hours ago, roytam1 said:

can't reproduce

13 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Tried again with the 32bit version ... and now it works.

7 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

tried in a Windows 7 64bit VM with the latest NM 28 64bit and there I have exactly the same issue.

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

your cert8.db is corrupted

4 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Deleting cert8.db made no difference

(I thought it important to quote all these relevant parts, due to the intervention of a great number of completely irrelevant posts...)

@roytam1 : This seems indeed a genuine bug affecting the most recent NM28 release, however it's particular to the 64-bit binary <_< ; as others have already chimed in, the 32-bit binary behaves as expected, below is my own screenshot from it, running (pristine new profile) under physical Windows Vista SP2 32-bit (fully updated, with selected WS2008 updates manually installed):

MAkpWBz.jpg

Of course, I couldn't test the 64-bit equivalent there ;), but I borrowed briefly my sister's Win7 SP1 64-bit laptop (fully updated to Win7 SP1 EoS), and the story is the same (as already reported by @nicolaasjan)

lj7xMKn.jpg

Taking a look at the provided changelog, and at a quick glance, I can only spot

[NSS] ported mozilla upstream changes

(a squash of several, NSS-related, Bugzilla bugs) as potentially the culprit for this breakage, manifesting exclusively on the 64-bit compile (but I could be wrong, I have been in the past :) ) ...
Could someone also test, for that same bug, the 64-bit distribution of latest Serpent 52.9.0 ?

I don't have a need myself for the 64-bit binaries, but, obviously, others do... :P
Thanks in advance for any additional info... :)

13 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Just tried it again by emptying the program directory, except for the 3 codec dll's

What "3 codec DLLs" are you referring to? New Moon 28 doesn't require any additional "patented decoder DLLs" (aka LAV DLLs), only New Moon 27 does... :whistle:

5 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

neither replacing it with cert8.db from my backed up good profile of official 64bit Pale Moon.

This should be generally avoided, as "upstream" use a different modded version of the NSS Mozilla library (hence cert8.db+key3.db resultant profile files); at least that's my recollection of them, I stopped closely following their development when they turned "private-repo" last autumn :sneaky: (FWIW, GRE+PM are now public, again :rolleyes: ).

On 3/26/2022 at 7:45 AM, DanR20 said:

Looks like you did a lot of work with 55.0, nice job.

I second that, @roytam1 :worship: :thumbup
However, as I am heavily reliant on GitHub, I was sort of miffed that GH still doesn't work :( in latest St55 (32-bit) with the latest release (v1.2.17) of gh-wc-pf force-installed; in the not-so-distant-past, GH used to (mainly) work in St55, but, as said, M$ threw at it many recent JS "baddies" that eventually broke it completely :realmad: ...

I understand St55 is under a monthly release schedule, how far do you reckon we are from a working GH implementation (of course, with the aid of gh-wc-pf) ?

Thanks for all you do for us, "greedy" :P users of your browsers!  :)

Edited by VistaLover

20 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

What happened to versions 14-20?

... Probably what had happened to Windows 9.0 ... :P
In all seriousness though, I think "they" (the Chinese) have adopted the "same application version as current year" model (360EEv21 was first released in 2021); come to think of it, their year is lunar-based, do they even observe the Christian calendar (as in 2021 AD) :dubbio:? Perhaps they do, in relation to the rest of the (Western) world :whistle:...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

However, as I am heavily reliant on GitHub, I was sort of miffed that GH doesn't still work :( in latest St55 (32-bit) with the latest release (v1.2.17) of gh-wc-pf force-installed; in the not-so-distant-past, GH used to (mainly) work in St55, but, as said, M$ threw out at it many recent JS "baddies" that eventually broke it completely :realmad: ...

Tried it and not working here either, would love to see that get fixed.

Been using it on XP and without question despite a few bugs it's the best pre-Quantum version I've experienced. Works great on Win7 and 10 as well. There must be a reason Moonchild abandoned 55.0 for an earlier one but glad he did since it would probably have ended up with the same performance issues that PM and 52 have. 

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

(I thought it important to quote all these relevant parts, due to the intervention of a great number of completely irrelevant posts...)

@roytam1 : This seems indeed a genuine bug affecting the most recent NM28 release, however it's particular to the 64-bit binary <_< ; as others have already chimed in, the 32-bit binary behaves as expected, below is my own screenshot from it, running (pristine new profile) under physical Windows Vista SP2 32-bit (fully updated, with selected WS2008 updates manually installed):

MAkpWBz.jpg

Of course, I couldn't test the 64-bit equivalent there ;), but I borrowed briefly my sister's Win7 SP1 64-bit laptop (fully updated to Win7 SP1 EoS), and the story is the same (as already reported by @nicolaasjan)

lj7xMKn.jpg

Taking a look at the provided changelog, and at a quick glance, I can only spot

[NSS] ported mozilla upstream changes

(a squash of several, NSS-related, Bugzilla bugs) as potentially the culprit for this breakage, manifesting exclusively on the 64-bit compile (but I could be wrong, I have been in the past :) ) ...
Could someone also test, for that same bug, the 64-bit distribution of latest Serpent 52.9.0 ?

I don't have a need myself for the 64-bit binaries, but, obviously, others do... :P
Thanks in advance for any additional info... :)

palemoon-28.10.5a1.win64-git-20220326-ba47fad4d-uxp-3336114a3-xpmod.7z is refreshed, hopefully this bug is fixed.

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

However, as I am heavily reliant on GitHub, I was sort of miffed that GH doesn't still work :( in latest St55 (32-bit) with the latest release (v1.2.17) of gh-wc-pf force-installed; in the not-so-distant-past, GH used to (mainly) work in St55, but, as said, M$ threw out at it many recent JS "baddies" that eventually broke it completely :realmad: ...

I understand St55 is under a monthly release schedule, how far do you reckon we are from a working GH implementation (of course, with the aid of gh-wc-pf) ?

Thanks for all you do for us, "greedy" :P users of your browsers!  :)

it is still on the way. I do hope I can finish this before the end of my work-from-home period.

Sad to hear 360EE is already gone on XP/32b at all.

So I got a year or few more until they will come with some newer stupid incompatible JS that breaks it again :(

BTW any progress on OneCoreAPI (or is it dead too?) that could help running some newer apps on XP?

BTW2 also not happy about smartphones, I had to stop using my SGS3 due to 3G network shutdown here in last year. I spent many hours with migration all data, settings and searching for newer apps that that works on newer Android (using LineageOS) and there still left some irritating behavior of more paranoid newer Android I didn't tuned yet.

BTW3 you cannot get any new car without embedded "spyware" in EU, there is control unit with connectivity, no more offline...

On 3/26/2022 at 1:01 PM, soggi said:

@roytam1

Did you already have a look on ReactOS? Feels like WinXP but even runs very smooth on older HW from the late 90s - and it's still in development. You may consider it as a Win2k/WinXP replacement in medium/long-term.

I cannot agree, I have very different experiences with ReactOS. I watch this project since it started. It's improving but still mostly a toy for VM rather for a real HW where it often fails to install. I compared with WinXP on Pentium Pro machine with 192MB RAM and WinXP are significantly more responsive and do less CPU load than ReactOS...

Edited by xrayer

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

What "3 codec DLLs" are you referring to? New Moon 28 doesn't require any additional "patented decoder DLLs" (aka LAV DLLs), only New Moon 27 does... :whistle:

Then I must have been confused in the past.

Thank you!

I will delete them.:)

avcodec-lav-57.dll
avresample-lav-3.dll
avutil-lav-55.dll

Edited by nicolaasjan