My Browser Builds (Part 3)

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe, IceDove, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest Firefox 45ESR 20220326 builds
- added latest IceApe 52 20220326 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20220326 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20220326 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20220326 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20220326 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20220326 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20220326 builds
- as well as find out for yourself

---------------------------------------------------------

15 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I see, no point with bothering to go wish Vista either now, but my hardware is (likely) not capable for 7 and I don't really wish to use it. Ugh :(

Guess just go until we can't no longer. I'd go with linux if I had to, but so much isn't usable about it, so I don't know what I'd do. Zorin 32 bit or Linux Lite 32 bit is about all I can do. I read new computers are made so you can't downgrade from nasty beast that is windows 11. Everything is baked into the chips. I don't fully understand it all, but pretty soon everything is just going to be a smart phone tablet. 

Did you already have a look on ReactOS? Feels like WinXP but even runs very smooth on older HW from the late 90s - and it's still in development. You may consider it as a Win2k/WinXP replacement in medium/long-term.

kind regards
soggi

Regarding the new version 55.0: in that weather site posted it will come in if noscript 5.1.9 options/embeddings "Forbid WebGL" is unchecked. That setting is for untrusted sites only but even when weather.com is made trusted it still fails to load. There appears to be a new interaction problem with noscript since the previous version didn't have this, at least with WebGL.

https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/96f2f84af9a5f5d452eb0574d4e4d8a840c71b05e22264ebdc0056433a642c84

Except for the rendering of blank sites here and there 55.0 continues to have overall good performance.

With the latest NM 28 (palemoon-28.10.5a1.win64-git-20220326-ba47fad4d-uxp-3336114a3-xpmod) I have a certificate warning on every website...

SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

This is on Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate.

Screenshot_PM.thumb.png.1a7ca4dc71869ddac7bd0df892143bef.png

What could be the cause?

[Edit]

Happens in a fresh profile as well.

Edited by nicolaasjan

5 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

With the latest NM 28 (palemoon-28.10.5a1.win64-git-20220326-ba47fad4d-uxp-3336114a3-xpmod) I have a certificate warning on every website...

SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

This is on Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate.

What could be the cause?

[Edit]

can't reproduce, did you replace all files?

On 3/24/2022 at 5:40 AM, InterLinked said:

2015 is not "vintage".

I should've used scare quotes, as you did ;)

I agree with you. Nothing made in 2015 should be unusable a mere seven years later. Heck, this thread is in a section of MSFN dedicated to OSes much older than that; yet we manage to keep them going....

Yet phones are an even bigger planned-obsolescence racket than PCs. I could go on and on about the hoops I had to jump through to keep a 7-year-old phone operating. It's AT&T-branded, yet AT&T's SIMs won't enable voice over LTE on it, which is needed now that AT&T shut down their 3G network. So I had to switch my AT&T phone to another carrier to use a feature that AT&T built into it in the first place!

Something I really like about analog telephony is the way everything is interoperable and backwards-compatible.

Yes, I was referring specifically to digital cell phones. I too have an old AT&T rotary dial phone that still works on the modern PSTN. But I'm getting way off-topic here, so I'll shut up....

Edited by Mathwiz

12 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

I should've used scare quotes, as you did ;)

I agree with you. Nothing made in 2015 should be unusable a mere seven years later. Heck, this thread is in a section of MSFN dedicated to OSes much older than that; yet we manage to keep them going....

I'm with you there...

Yet phones are an even bigger planned-obsolescence racket than PCs. I could go on and on about the hoops I had to jump through to keep a 7-year-old phone operating. It's AT&T-branded, yet AT&T's SIMs won't enable voice over LTE on it, which is needed now that AT&T shut down their 3G network. So I had to switch my AT&T phone to another carrier to use a feature that AT&T built into it in the first place!

It really depends on the phone, or "phone".

Vintage telephones are a great example of anti-planned obsolescence. You can call from a 2010s AT&T landline phone to a 1930s Western Electric 302, and everything just works.

Something I really like about analog telephony is the way everything is interoperable and backwards-compatible. You typically don't see that.

Contrast that with mobile telephony, and IP, to a great extent, where different platforms are their owned walled gardens, things are designed to fail after a few years, etc.

They're complete polar opposites.

But I'm getting way off-topic here, so I'll shut up....

On 3/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, InterLinked said:

I don't have a car yet, but when I do get one, it won't be anything less than 50 years old!

In this case, I'd urge you to rethink that position. Dependence on gasoline (or petrol, as some call it) is becoming increasingly untenable in the modern world, for many good reasons.

I do, however, share the reluctance to get one of these "Google-enabled" cars, just to get an electric model. Can I get an electric car without the spyware, please?

On 3/24/2022 at 8:36 PM, xrayer said:

So we could hope that Chinese will keep upgrading it for recent chromium and foxie will clean it up.

Unfortunately I think the 360EE developers have already announced that the next version won't run on XP. Heck, we're lucky it runs on Win 7, given that Google has already given up on that platform.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, VistaLover said:

The Chinese have already upgraded their 360EE browser to v21.0 (Chromium 95 based), which has dropped altogether WinXP+Vista support

What happened to versions 14-20?

11 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

In this case, I'd urge you to rethink that position. Dependence on gasoline (or petrol, as some call it) is becoming increasingly untenable in the modern world, for many good reasons.

I do, however, share the reluctance to get one of these "Google-enabled" cars, just to get an electric model. Can I get an electric car without the spyware, please?

You're right that fossil fuels are terrible, but electric cars are not really any better.

Significantly more natural resources and mining go into their manufacturing - lithium batteries is something that has at least penetrated the mainstream a little bit.

I'm not deluded into thinking that somehow electric cars are more "eco-friendly" to the planet. Cars are terrible for the planet, no matter their fuel source (and to be explicit, the energy sources are terrible, regardless of the type).

We need fewer cars on the roads, period, not a shift from fossil fuels to electric. It's not even that electricity might be coming from fossil fuels - renewables are again one of these "bright green solutions" that's nothing more than rearranging some deck chairs. There are two evils to choose from here, and to me, at least having a car that would be sensible to me is more important than pretending I'm helping the environment. I don't have one now as I'm in an urban area, and I walk or take the train, but I'd like to move to a more rural area, so that's just practically speaking.

Point is, you can't have your cake and eat it too... electric cars are just the next environmentally destructive technology. We need to be moving away from these types of things.

Same reason that I find these concept "dumb mobile devices" really irritating... the technology is fundamentally unsustainable. Throw your mobile phone in the trash and get a landline phone, you'll never need to buy another one. Problem solved ;)

7 hours ago, roytam1 said:

can't reproduce, did you replace all files?

Just tried it again by emptying the program directory, except for the 3 codec dll's and transferring everything from the 7z file into it and I'm still facing the issue...

FWIW, no issues on my Windows XP VM (Vista is in a VM as well and has the latest Server 2008 ESU updates)

[Edit]

Tried again with the 32bit version after also renaming "%appdata%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon" to "%appdata%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon.bak" and now it works.

spacer.png

[Edit2]

And now 32bit version works with the original profile folder as well.

[Edit3]

The previous 64bit version 20220226 has no certificate issues.

Edited by nicolaasjan

5 hours ago, Destro said:

lol gas prices were low in USA before Brandon became the resident, it was also an energy independent nation.  If you think gas prices are untenable than don't vote for somone that wants to abolish the oil industry.  Elcectric cars maybe a step in the right direction,

They're not.

It's just fossil fuels 2.0.

but its not a reality for the backbone of an economy that depends on oil and for most people around the world. 

An economy that depends on finite resources is not sustainable and has a finite timeline.

Brandon said he would do this so if you voted for him you got exactly what you wanted.

Personally, I'm not sure where this "get rid of oil is coming from".

I don't see nearly enough oil being "gotten rid of". The prices now are due to the supply shock from Russia. I guess the one good thing from all this is higher gas prices...

17 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

What could be the cause?

[Edit]

As you already find out for yourself, no such problem with NM28 32 bit here. The interesting part could be seen when "Technische details" is expanded. Could you reproduce the problem on another machine?

kind regards
soggi

54 minutes ago, soggi said:

As you already find out for yourself, no such problem with NM28 32 bit here. The interesting part could be seen when "Technische details" is expanded. Could you reproduce the problem on another machine?

kind regards
soggi

Just tried in a Windows 7 64bit VM with the latest NM 28 64bit and there I have exactly the same issue.

Error:

palemoon.start.me uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported. (Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER)

Klembord01.png.6bfe2e62d6f21230bcb7905a33d482a3.png

The 32bit version has no issues in there either:

Klembord02.png.845f54e825b74f1fb69ac576f5acf265.png

Edited by nicolaasjan

10 hours ago, InterLinked said:

We need fewer cars on the roads, period, not a shift from fossil fuels to electric.

Bingo!

I personally subscribe to the notion that everything needs to run on ONE fuel source (gasoline).

Then that ONE fuel source is "regulated" (though I generally disagree with government intervention in the private sector).

The "regulation" being that the price is INTENTIONALLY elevated to be "just out of reach" for the "stay-at-home-mom" - so that she doesn't drive to the grocery store throughout the week a DOZEN times.

I subscribe to the belief that when gas prices are HIGH, the consumer stops WASTING it.

This has been demonstrated by the drop in restaurant business during high gas prices.

People drive less when gas prices are high.

We have a society that will take TWENTY trips to the grocery store per week intead of ONE.

That is WASTEFUL usage of gasoline.

2 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Just tried in a Windows 7 64bit VM with the latest NM 28 64bit and there I have exactly the same issue.

Error:

Klembord01.png.6bfe2e62d6f21230bcb7905a33d482a3.png

The 32bit version has no issues in there either:

Klembord02.png.845f54e825b74f1fb69ac576f5acf265.png

I think your cert8.db is corrupted