My Browser Builds (Part 3)

6 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

...is there any alternative forum where old windows fanatics will move to if msfn really shuts down?

WinClient5270 just posted for the first time in ages, and he does have a suggestion:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175262-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/?do=findComment&comment=1214417

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally hold the view that we've already had WW3, WW4, and WW5 and this would be WW6.

Of course the names of wars were not so standardized in the past. It occurs to me that the Seven Years’ War (1756-1763) could quite accurately be called a world war. American history textbooks mentioned the French and Indian War when I was young, but that was merely the North American theater of the Seven Years’ War. I once read a book by a German historian who called it the Second Silesian War, which is apt from a Prussian point of view but would obviously never catch on in England or France.

11 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

WinClient5270 just posted for the first time in ages, and he does have a suggestion:

I have registered over there as ArcticFoxie and will include my builds over there also.

Time will tell if MSFN is truly shutting down (WinCert had one of these shut-down scares in 2017, RyanVM had one in 2019 - both are still here).

Just a gentle reminder that political discussions are not appropriate here, and are in fact against the rules of what is after all a technical forum.

FWIW xper has said that with recent donations the site will be OK now for another couple of months, but people do need to keep helping if they can to keep it online.

:)

@roytam1

Is there any way to enable these features in Serpent (Windows XP 32)?

GPU Accelerated Windows    0/1 Basic (OMTC) Blocked for your graphics driver version.
D3D9_COMPOSITING    Blocklisted; failure code BLOCKLIST_FEATURE_FAILURE_DL_BLACKLIST_g37

PLEASE start focusing on improving performance rather than only backporting...  There are so many things that Mozilla disabled in later versions of Firefox when a planned obsolescence of XP was effected.

All you need to do to disable these performance regressions is to remove the blocklists, blacklists, or otherwise in the source.

Thanks

EDIT:  I am able to override the GPU blacklist by using the "spoofed firefox" instructions here.
But D3D9 compositing would be very nice.  This browser is so unbelievably slow.  It borders on unusuable.

Edited by mockingbird

@mockingbird

But D3D9 compositing would be very nice.  This browser is so unbelievably slow.  It borders on unusuable.

How do you know if it's blocked? I've tried experimenting with different settings since some sites like Twitter have a real hard time with 52.0. Does changing "layers.prefer-d3d9" to true have any effect?

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

JustOff is trying to keep up with github changes, he's just released another new polyfill version

... Not quite :no: ; JustOff is a Ukrainian national and he's now (most probably) fighting against his country's invaders (not gonna say more, as being OT to these forums)... 

Soon after the invasion took place, he shared maintainership of the github-wc-polyfill extension with a Chinese developer, whose GH username is SeaHOH (I don't know if I'm right :dubbio:but, based on my Chemistry background, I amicably refer to him as "seawater" :P ...)

JdmlGjT.jpg

SeaHOH is a very competent master of Javascript (with a slightly worse command of the English language :sneaky: compared to JustOff, but, OTOH, my Mandarin is non-existent :D ); I've reported several bugs myself over in the GitHub issue tracker and he's been very helpful/successful at addressing them :thumbup; TL;DR: All beta and stable releases after 1.2.14b2 are the product of SeaHOH's efforts!  :cheerleader:

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

but I still can't get it to work anymore in 52.0.

The latest stable release, 1.2.16 , works wonders with latest Serpent v52.9.0 (2022-02-25) (32-bit); to install, visit the linked GH page, left click on the XPI link and accept the installation prompt from GitHub; else, if you want to first fetch the XPI to disk and then install, you'd have to modify manually the install.rdf file within the XPI (the maxVersion value); this has been explained repetitively inside these threads...

NB: The extension requires very recent UXP browsers (New Moon/Serpent), it does nothing in Firefox ESR 52.9.x and close to nothing in recent Serpent 55.0.0 (if force-installed there).

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

If anyone wants to try this site and see if it comes in let me know:

https://github.com/3dyd/LAVFiltersXP

Loads and functions fine here:

MKbhhiC.jpg

(latest St52+gh-wc-pf-1.2.16)

Edited by VistaLover

@VistaLover

There must be something going on with my profile. I just setup a new test profile and it is coming in so I'll have to go through each addon and disable them one at a time.

Edit: it was a very simple solution, uBlock was to blame so I just whitelisted github.

Edited by DanR20

4 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Or layers.acceleration.force / layers.acceleration.force-enabled, whichever is available.

Trying both those settings: " layers.acceleration.force" and "layers.prefer-d3d9" to true. Also changed "layers.low-precision-buffer" to true. Hopefully that makes a difference. 

@DanR20 @UCyborg

Thanks, already had those enabled except for "layers.low-precision-buffer" which I set to true.
I also changed "gfx.blacklist.layers.direct3d9.failureid" which had "FEATURE_FAILURE_DL_BLACKLIST_g37" in there in about:config

So both blocklists/blacklists have been circumvented and it's working noticeably faster now...  Much better I would say and more usable.  I'm going to hold off 360 Chrome for now, I prefer Firefox.

10 hours ago, mockingbird said:

@DanR20 @UCyborg

I also changed "gfx.blacklist.layers.direct3d9.failureid" which had "FEATURE_FAILURE_DL_BLACKLIST_g37" in there in about:config

That pref doesn't exist in my setup so it probably only shows if it's blacklisted??

For me it didn't make much difference changing those settings, the slowdown in performance wasn't affected. It might help others though.

Edited by DanR20

"layers.acceleration" will work with:

The latest GPU driver is required

DirectX9.0b

Firefox - ATI Radeon X1300+, Nvidia GF5100+, Intel GMA X3000+

roytam1 and Feodor2 browsers - ATI Radeon X700+, Nvidia 5100+, Intel GMA ??? (X3000+)

OpenGL 2.0

(ATI Radeon 9500 - X600)

roytam1 - K-meleon, Firefox 45ESR, NewMoon 27 (layers.prefer-opengl true)

Feodor2 - MyPal 29.3 mingw (layers.prefer-opengl true)

H/W WebGL1 for ATI Radeon 9500 - X1250, Nvidia GF5100 - GF5900

webgl.disable-angle true

webgl.force-enabled true

H/W WebGL2 for ATI Radeon HD2400+, Nvidia GF210+, Intel HD

webgl.disable-angle true

webgl.force-enabled true

webgl.bypass-shader-validation true (for Nvidia GPU)

Edited by grey_rat