My Browser Builds (Part 3)

5 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Rust language could increase the vulnerability to memory exploits.

Please elaborate.

All quantums use rust, and more modern - more rust it will be.  For half a year i use firefox 91 on win7 and firefox 78 on linux and no memory exploit was noticed.

52 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

This is only abstract reasoning with no any real example where to look how it happened and there about youre easily can be hacked on firefox quantum with rust. Also about  protections from this type of hacking, however protections have been introduced since win8 only. 

Can provide a link with real stuff? Do we suppose pre quantum firefox is much hard to hack? 

I view it more along the lines that hackers want to hack as many computers as they can.

Between 2018 and 2021, Firefox has lost 50 million users.

In 2018, there were about 244 million users, that number is now down to below 200 million.

That loss is staggering now matter how you look at it - "rose-colored lenses" can't even make those numbers look 'good'.

So if Firefox overall is down that huge, what percentage of those are Quantum versus Pre-Quantum, Rust versus Pre-Rust?

Why would a hacker target 1 million users if s/he can target 199 million users?

Hi,

i download your  (32bit SSE https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-27.10.0.win32-git-20220212-850741b59-xpmod-sse.7z)

and

https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM76.4.5-Goanna-20220212.7z

i try both browsers on these websites but it not works properly.

https://sso.godaddy.com/?realm=idp&app=dashboard.api&path=%2fvh-login-redirect   <==(Godaddy Sign Page not working  - Display Blank Page)

https://www.godaddy.com/help/contact-us  <==(Godaddy Live Chat Module is not loading) or Select Godaddy USA from page bottom then click on Contact US link on bottom

https://olx.com.pk <==(Search Box not working , even can't select drop down menu from location Area or categories and also login or load more buttons are not working)

https://domainr.com/   <==(in domain search box beast mode not working not auto search domains) 

Please Fix the above issues in your next releases.

I try this browser on Windows XP Pro SP3 desktop machine with 4gb Memory

Waiting for your positive response.

Thanks

Edited by xpuser33
adding some other issues

9 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I have no interest in this thread turning into a conversation on how "unsafe" it is to be using XP....

I don't think that was what he meant. Sounded to me like he thinks the Rust language (used for FF 56+) has some inherent vulnerabilities, regardless of OS.

I do run MBAE on my XP VM; hopefully that's good enough....

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

In retrospect, I wonder if Mozilla regrets jumping on the Google bandwagon? You're not gonna out-Chrome Chrome, and they probably didn't endear themselves to their user base by dumping their entire add-on ecosystem in one fell swoop. Multiprocess mode is nice, but users deserve a choice and weren't given one.

Of course, a little perspective on those numbers would be nice. Although I'm sure most of those lost users switched to one of the Chromium variants, I wonder how many moved to other FF variants, like Mozilla's own SeaMonkey, MCP's browsers, Waterfox (Classic and modern) and the like.

@xpuser33, I think you may misunderstand @roytam1's role. He isn't writing browsers from scratch; he's merely bringing them to the XP/Vista community from other platforms.

You may also misunderstand the role of the browsers you tried. They are not modern browsers and will fail on many modern Web sites, mostly due to changes in Javascript libraries used by many Web developers. They're based on older Firefox versions and are intended to provide a fast, "lightweight" browser for the sites that still work on those older versions.

Roytam1 has some ability to fix minor bugs on his own, but it sounds like you're asking for a major redesign. If you need support for modern Web sites, I'd encourage you to try one of his UXP browsers instead: New Moon 28 or Serpent 52. (For your convenience I linked to the latest versions for non-SSE2 CPUs.)

Unfortunately some Web sites won't render properly even on these newer browsers, and of course they'll run more slowly, but I think you'll have much better luck on many sites with these newer browsers.

If the sites you need won't work on these newer browsers either, you'll have to try one of the many flavors of 360EE instead. Almost all sites will work correctly on 360EE v13, but it is something of a memory hog.

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

In 2018, there were about 244 million users, that number is now down to below 200 million.

To add a little perspective, 2018 population was 7.602 billion (data.worldbank.org) and 2021 population is estimated at 7.927 billion (worldometers.info).

So we added 325 million to the global population while Firefox lost 50 million in the same time span.

I personally don't think that Firefox can "right the ship" at this point.

Firefox was always a bit of a "niche market", but feel free to DuckDuckGo / Bing / Google the phrase "is firefox dying" and enjoy the reading.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I wonder how many moved to other FF variants, like Mozilla's own SeaMonkey, MCP's browsers, Waterfox (Classic and modern) and the like.

Most of the stats sites I found all lumped all Mozilla flavors as Mozilla and all of Chromium flavors as Chrome.

If you dropped Firefox and migrated to MCP, you did not add or subtract from the Mozilla number.

Thanks for that info; unfortunately, it makes the stats less useful IMO. Quantum is as different from UXP as Chrome is.

I guess all anyone cares about is who's "winning" the browser "wars." No surprise it's Google, with their own major OS (Android), a deal with the makers of another major OS (Micro$oft Windows), and their joint control of much of the Web.

Yes, Firefox offers an alternative, but there's not much advantage in running it these days.

There's still Apple Safari, I suppose, but (typical of Apple) it's closed-source, isn't it? I think the last version of Safari to run on XP is as ancient and unusable as IE 8.

Edited by Mathwiz

15 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

I guess all anyone cares about is who's "winning" the browser "wars."

I technically only "looked" for stats for Mozilla versus Chrome, I didn't care about the teany-tiny players with teany-tiny market share (which Mozilla barely exceeds what I would call "teany-tiny").

After my several years with GreenBrowser then my several years with Sleipnir, I learned it wasn't really important to distinguish them from IE because they were only a front-end "shell" for the IE engine.

So "to me", Mozilla is Mozilla.  Market share is market share.

Not really important "to me" (as far as market share goes) if IE means IE8 or IE9 or IE10 or IE11  --  IE is IE.

Not really important "to me" (as far as market share goes) if Mozilla means Quantum or UXP  --  Mozilla is Mozilla.

Not really important "to me" (as far as market share goes) if Chromium is 360Chrome or Edge or Chromium or Chrome or Ungoogled Chromium or Vivaldi or Brave or Iron or Iridium  --  Chrome is Chrome.