My Browser Builds (Part 3)

5 hours ago, Egorkaru said:

roytam1, why do the following browsers still not support the ECDHE_ECDSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 cipher suite?:

Because of this, in the above browsers on the site https://lurkmore.to, images from the domain https://lurkmore.so are not loaded via HTTPS. I get errors about unsupported encryption protocols. Adding security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_256_gcm_sha384 = true to about:config doesn't help.

and by the way TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 is preferred over TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, which do support in my current NSS-legacy.

do you find any server that has TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 but not TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256?

Hi

Roytam1, I would like to watch "youtube" on "this clone" which is faster for xp with a P4, but it causes problems with the video player which displays badly on New moon 28 and serpent 52, for serpent 55, it does not work at all.

Can this problem be solved?:huh:

This works on 360chrome 13.0.0 but not on the 12

On 1/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

But we get a lot of users for 2000, XP, and Vista.

OSs like 2000 hang around because they tend to work right out of the box. Not only that they install on much older hardware. I had W2k loaded years ago on a Pentium 133 with only 145mbs ram. Today you could barely render the simplest websites with that if you could even find a workable browser. Just for fun I fired it up recently and managed to get Firefox 31esr to load some sites before finally throwing it away in the dumpster.

Millions of people around the world still rely on older hardware; maybe not quite as bad but not necessarily modern by current standards either so we'll be seeing third party support for w2k and even 98se for years to come yet.   

14 hours ago, DanR20 said:

...finally throwing it away in the dumpster.

Why? There are a lot of people (like me) collecting old hardware, you even could have made some money out of it.

kind regards
soggi

28 minutes ago, soggi said:

Why?

Sometimes it's just "time to".

I don't believe in a "throwaway society", my everyday belt is the same belt I wore in the 90s.

But us Americans especially, we tend to collect a lot of "junk".  I support "recycling" so most of my stuff doesn't land in a "dumpster", but sometimes "junk is junk".

"Baby Boomers" are particulary bad.  They are the offspring of parents that lived through the Great Depression (I knew one that put WATER on her breakfast cereal instead of MILK).

Gen X'ers, Y's, Millenials - we don't want your "junk".  I know far too many in my generation "saddled" with inheriting 3 bedroom houses where two of the bedrooms, the garage, and the attic is nothing but miles upon miles of JUNK.

I'm not trying to sound insensitive or heartless - but do us a favor and unload your own junk and don't make us recycle it for you.

Speaking colloquially, of course.  You/your is not a "person", but a collective-whole.

But anywhoo...

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

4 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sometimes it's just "time to".

I don't believe in a "throwaway society", my everyday belt is the same belt I wore in the 90s.

But us Americans especially, we tend to collect a lot of "junk".  I support "recycling" so most of my stuff doesn't land in a "dumpster", but sometimes "junk is junk".

"Baby Boomers" are particulary bad.  They are the offspring of parents that lived through the Great Depression (I knew one that put WATER on her breakfast cereal instead of MILK).

Gen X'ers, Y's, Millenials - we don't want your "junk".  I know far too many in my generation "saddled" with inheriting 3 bedroom houses where two of the bedrooms, the garage, and the attic is nothing but miles upon miles of JUNK.

I'm not trying to sound insensitive or heartless - but do us a favor and unload your own junk and don't make us recycle it for you.

Speaking colloquially, of course.  You/your is not a "person", but a collective-whole.

But anywhoo...

agree with @soggi

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I recycled a CRT monitor last year, and I still feel bad about it, since it basically work perfectly fine; same with a 2001 laptop (didn't have the charger for it). I'm sure somebody in the area might have wanted them; but logistically I couldn't have coordinated at the time, and I did salvage a bunch of other stuff.

I also have a background in telephony, and typically old analog or electronic phones get scrapped but they always work perfectly fine, but I will salvage whatever of those I can.

You always have to be on the lookout...

I agree also.  I did not say to put it in the dumpster.  I said to recyle it  :cheerleader:

Guess my point is that if it took our parents EIGHTY YEARS to collect "stuff", why put our kids in the position of having to spend MONTHS upon MONTHS of sorting through two spare bedrooms, a two-car garage with no room for a car and barely enough room for a lawnmower, and an attic of "junk" ???

I have no intention of spending TWENTY YEARS of retirement years sorting though my PARENT'S junk!

Because a MONTH or so in, I'll rent a DUMPSTER because I'm not spending that "time" to sift through "collectibles" that nobody in my generation "wants".

My generation is more "mobile", we tend to me "minimalists".  We have our own share of "junk", don't get me wrong.  But not two spare bedrooms, a two-car garage, and an attic of "stuff" that hasn't been touched for FORTY YEARS.

Just calling it like I see it.

7 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I agree also.  I did not say to put it in the dumpster.  I said to recyle it  :cheerleader:

Basically the same thing... "recycling" electronics means destroying them for scrap metal or shipping them to the Global South where slave labor disassembles them. Complete joke.

Recycling is just a consumerist way to get people to endlessly consume.

I'm not saying don't recycle and go to the landfill instead, but don't be fooled that it's this 100% green process that makes things disappear into the ether...

Sorry.  I'm from a family of six kids.  So I mispoke.  "Recycle" to me is when my older brother doesn't use his bicycle anymore so I claim it as my own.

How many people would have known what I was talking about if I said to "garage sale it" ?  I did mean "reuse" versus "recycle".

3 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sorry.  I'm from a family of six kids.  So I mispoke.  "Recycle" to me is when my older brother doesn't use his bicycle anymore so I claim it as my own.

That's not Recycling, that's Reusing- much better!

But my BOTTOM LINE remains the same!

Don't let your KIDS inherit a garage full of "reusable junk" that you yourself haven't touched in FORTY YEARS.

That's NOT "thankless" or "cold hearted", it's just "reality".

If you want YOUR stuff "reused", then do NOT hand it over to the next generation and have them sift through junk that even antique shops cannot unload!

ps - maybe I should add some context.

I live next door (two doors down, actually) from a house that was "inherited" by three brothers/sisters TWELVE YEARS AGO and they no longer live in this state.

The three kids rotate on who will take their two-week vacation and spend it at the "inheritance" sorting through JUNK.

They have cleared out TWO BEDROOMS of JUNK.

But the garage STILL has boxes and boxes of JUNK that they "inherited".

They cannot sell the house because of all of the JUNK.

And they "live in fear" of throwing away something "valuable" if they don't sort through each and every box.

I see THAT and there is no way in Hades I plan on putting my own kids through that TORTURE.