My Browser Builds (Part 3)

32 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

After I put the power back in, the laptop simply won't start anymore, the screen remains permanently black, I can feel some disk activity by touching the laptop, but just that...

Do you have a spare monitor to connect to the laptop through a VGA cable? In the best case it is only a screen issue.

Cheers.

39 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

I painfully discovered that "portable" 360EE profiles do not carry with them saved cookies/account credentials for sites

They do.  I know I've tested that in the past (I own 8 computers!).  But I don't recall if I had to do anything "special" or not.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Humming Owl beat me to the punch.  Yes, it could just be a screen issue.

It could be.

But this "flickering on a frozen frame" coupled with supposed disk activity...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

My cherished Toshiba laptop from 2009, that came with Vista OEM 32-bit originally, has died on me a little more than two hours ago...
No previous signs of an impending doom, I was merely browsing (in 360EEv11) when the screen just started flickering on a frozen frame, just out of the blue, and I had to disconnect power to forcibly shut it down...

After I put the power back in, the laptop simply won't start anymore, the screen remains permanently black, I can feel some disk activity by touching the laptop, but just that...

... points more towards a problem somewhere else.

@VistaLover

Do as they said - try with external display first. You may need to use a key combination to switch displays, and on many systems these won't work during specific points of the boot process.

If you're not afraid of opening the thing, disconnecting the internal LCD cable (whichever end is easier to access) normally forces the output to the external monitor.

If this doesn't help, try to confirm that the system is actually working - press Caps/Num/Scroll Lock to check that their indicators toggle. Or see if the disk light is blinking as usual.

If it boots, you can try to use Remote desktop/Anydesk/whatever to connect and investigate further.

If it doesn't boot, try cleaning the RAM contacts.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Yes, cr*p like this happens, but now that it has, I'm a total wreck inside... -_-

Well, sh!t happens.

Last night there was some kind of faint, sweet, fruit-like smell in my room for about a whole hour before i found its source...

I lifted my pillow and there was a big hole on the underside, as well as on the electric blanket below, and on the bed itself. When the smoke escaped, the smell suddenly got terrible.

The small plastic box in the blanket, where the power cord connects to the heating wire, was completely burned, lol... heh.

Now, i gotta buy another electric blanket before the temps go under... :unsure:

Edited by RainyShadow

4 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm trying to understand and am confused, are these the proper setting as @Roytam1 also mention?

I can only say my Basilisk also has network.dns.disablePrefetch user set to true and network.prefetch-next user set to false without me changing them explicitly.

Prefs with "worker" in the name are all at default here.

"Proper" might be subjective depending on how you want particular parts of the browser to behave or if certain by-default disabled functionalities work as they should.

Some sites might make good uses of service workers, though I suppose judging by recent experiences they don't work as they should, at least compared to mainstream browsers.

23 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

my Basilisk also has network.dns.disablePrefetch user set to true and network.prefetch-next user set to false without me changing them explicitly.

This same here (in Serpent 55 AND Serpent 52).

EDIT.

Maybe these "user set" are leftovers  by Fasterfox extension?..

Edited by msfntor

On 12/15/2021 at 2:46 PM, mockingbird said:

I'm having an issue on Serpent (11/2021 build, x86, XP32) with eBay where the purchase history requires an exaggerated horizontal scroll to see the right part of the screen.  I tried changing user agents, it didn't help.

My second question is with your mailnews build.

Up until now I have been using an antiquated EOL Thunderbird on XP and I switched over yesterday...  I copied the entire profile over and that seemed to work (I tried manually copying over just the msf and the maildir directories but it kept trying to re-download the messages from the server).

Now this is a small UI quirk, but with Thunderbird, whenever a new message arrived, the account and folder names in the folders pane with said new messages would turn blue.  I could not find any option to restore this functionality.  Is there something I'm missing (is this Windows theme related?), or is this something that could be re-implemented please?

Thanks for your great work.

I managed to solve the issue in Mailnews by installing this theme:

Classic TB2

You need version 1.51, as the newer ones won't run on anything older than Thunderbird 60.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Some sites might make good uses of service workers, though I suppose judging by recent experiences they don't work as they should, at least compared to mainstream browsers.

Personally, mine are all at the default, except I do set dom.serviceworkers.enabled to true. But I keep service workers on a tight leash with this uBO filter:

*$csp=worker-src 'none',domain=~mediafire.com|~html5test.com|~routerlogin.net|~mega.nz|~boonchapman.com|~archive.org

That filter keeps them blocked except at the listed sites. Some of the above sites (including my home network router!) require them to work at all; others have workarounds if service workers are disabled. Generally, if I try a new site and it doesn't work, I try adding the domain to the filter above first. If that fixes it, I leave it on the filter, otherwise I remove it and resort to 360EE, figuring it's just another "Googlized" site.

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@VistaLover

Great advices already by Humming Owl and RainyShadow.

You can try few things yourself, to check what could be the problem by a process of elimination.

If you have 2 RAM sticks, take out 1 and try starting your laptop just with 1 RAM stick, if it still gives black screen try only with the other RAM
stick.
Here is a video how to change RAM sticks - How To Add Ram Toshiba Satellite Laptop Increase Memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vbxHF9w3ZE
I only advise not to touch the RAM stick on the "golden" contacts, and hold it on the white labels instead.

The advice to try with external monitor to check if the screen is the problem is also good.

@VistaLover all the things written above are right, but at the very first pull out the HDD to save your not back-uped data!

Screen was frozen but just displayed the last frame, no BSOD? So the CPU should be OK - GPU maybe too, but maybe not. Sounds like Display, RAM or GPU RAM...or motherboard in the worst case. Are there any beeps when you're trying to start?

As said above by others and myself, first pull out the HDD then test an external monitor, change RAM (if you have some spare RAM).

Hopefully our advices will help you!

On 1/3/2022 at 10:05 PM, XPerceniol said:

Sorry to hear this bad news @VistaLover

Yeah, this year is starting out rough, indeed.

Oh yes, the front window of my car got damaged by fireworks falling down on New Year's Eve while it was parked in a private backyard.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

@VistaLover

It happened to me a few months ago too so I can imagine your frustration.
My pc was 16 years old.
Your pc is about 12/13 years old.
I don't know if it deserves to have the pc repaired by an external technician.
If possible do it yourself.
Otherwise evaluate the possible cost of repair (which in Italy would certainly be high) compared to buying a new PC.
Good Luck !! :hello:

I would like to thank the roytam for his work. He has made XP 64 very usable for me. I have a question though. Which is the best browser build? There are many different builds and not much explanation to what is their purpose. For example there's Newmoon 28, Newmoon 27, Serpent, Iceape. I'm going to list my specs  and my own experience with some of them.

My specs:

Motherboard Gigabyte 970-DS3P Ver 2

CPU: AMD FX 8320e

Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Dual Channel

Video: Ati 4850 512MB

The ones I tested are Newmoon 28 64 bit, Serpent 64 bit and Iceape. Newmoon and Serpent are very similar and work very well. But for some reason I get lags when playing a Youtube video. Videos normally play fine on other sites even at 1080p. But Youtube hangs when starting a video and switching to fullscreen. The problem only happens in Youtube. Now Iceape doesn't have that problem. Youtube loads lighting fast. Now the question is this. What are the differences between all the builds? What is the difference between Iceape and Seamonkey ?

48 minutes ago, tekkaman said:

Which is the best browser build?

There is no answer to that.  None!

You will need to try them all and decide that for yourself.

It really boils down to what YOU use your browser for.

Some folks play online games - I do not.

Some folks require WebGL - I do not.

Some folks are heavy into Twitter and Facebook - I've never visited either.

Some folks stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, et cetera - I do not.

Some folks are huge into YouTube - I am not.

Some folks use YouTube alternatives that seem to be more problematic than YouTube itself.

Some folks stream online audio that some browsers are fine with for half an hour or so but start to skip or stutter if left open all day long.

You really need to answer this question on your own.  There is no answer.  If there were, there wouldn't be so many to begin with.  They all have pros.  They all have cons.