My Browser Builds (Part 3)

XPerceniol

I've stopped using them and wonder if @roytam1 can fix this in St52 and 55.

That's a good question, I wonder if anyone out there has applied any of these recent security patches to FF 52.9.1? Really all it needs to make it as almost as useful as UXP is to add in security.tls.version.max - 4 and restore general.useragent.override. I was able to get an addon for that but the built-in option is so much easier.

Also, replacing  FF 52.9.1's mozavcodec.dll, mozavutil.dll, and mozglue.dll with those from 52UXP and it can use the ffvpx mp4 codec and without the need for Adobe's plugin. The good part is it doesn't have the browser performance issues that will never get fixed in PM/UXP.

Edited by DanR20

3 hours ago, DanR20 said:

That's a good question, I wonder if anyone out there has applied any of these recent security patches to FF 52.9.1? Really all it needs to make it as almost as useful as UXP is to add in security.tls.version.max - 4 and restore general.useragent.override. I was able to get an addon for that but the built-in option is so much easier.

Also, replacing  FF 52.9.1's mozavcodec.dll, mozavutil.dll, and mozglue.dll with those from 52UXP and it can use the ffvpx mp4 codec and without the need for Adobe's plugin. The good part is it doesn't have the browser performance issues that will never get fixed in PM/UXP.

Hi there..

Yeah, to be honest, I only gave up because I was too lazy to keep up with my prefs.js along with St ... Dang ... perhaps I should take a few days and compare because (in all honesty) with those dll files, FF52.9.1 was just fine and almost equal to our St52.

• I'm on Serpent now using:

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");

user_pref("general.useragent.compatMode.version", "91");

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0");

And I have good results.

Alternatively, 

• With my FF, I was using:

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0");

And both were about equal most of the time. I used to do it the long way and comb through and take some settings from Serpent, and sometimes actually take some from FF.

It will be interesting to see where Roy decides to take this project; indeed!

Edited by XPerceniol

9 hours ago, Dibya said:

is  the Basilisk is hit by the NSS3 memory corruption exploit?

It's bug 1737470. From Mozilla:

Note: This vulnerability does NOT impact Mozilla Firefox. However, email clients and PDF viewers that use NSS for signature verification, such as Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Evolution and Evince are believed to be impacted.

Emphasis in original. MailNews and IceDove (and Navigator and IceApe, which include them) are likely to be affected, but not pure Web browsers like Mozilla's Firefox, MCP's Basilisk and Pale Moon, or @roytam1's builds of them.

14 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Just interested in what Roytam1 is considering, now that Moon-Matt are cancelling Basilisk. I use Basilisk as a WebRTC application for work.  Perhaps I should consider moving to Serpent 52, even though I'm on Windows 8.

Serpent 52 runs fine on Win 7, so I expect it would run fine on Win 8 also. It's basically Basilisk with support for Win XP/Vista, WebExtension add-ons, multiprocess mode, and container tabs retained. MCP is canceling Basilisk but I don't think they're canceling UXP, so Serpent 52 should continue to benefit from UXP improvements. I expect addons.basilisk-browser.org to go away though, so that site might be worth archiving while we can.

19 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:
10 hours ago, Dibya said:

is  the Basilisk is hit by the NSS3 memory corruption exploit?

It's bug 1737470. From Mozilla:

Note: This vulnerability does NOT impact Mozilla Firefox. However, email clients and PDF viewers that use NSS for signature verification, such as Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Evolution and Evince are believed to be impacted.

Emphasis in original. MailNews and IceDove (and Navigator and IceApe, which include them) are likely to be affected, but not pure Web browsers like Mozilla's Firefox, MCP's Basilisk and Pale Moon, or @roytam1's builds of them.

anyway they're merged from https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr91/rev/b6173cd78c9d522f2e3257c408933db4f9cedc13 and will be there in next build

7 hours ago, DanR20 said:

I wonder if anyone out there has applied any of these recent security patches to FF 52.9.1? Really all it needs to make it as almost as useful as UXP is to add in security.tls.version.max - 4 and restore general.useragent.override.

If you mean restore site-specific user-agent overrides to FF 52.9.1, this old post explains the trick:

30 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

you mean restore site-specific user-agent overrides to FF 52.9.1, this old post explains the trick...

Thanks for that link, it works perfectly. I already had those two files created to lock in media.hardware-video-decoding.failed to false so it was real easy. Wish I knew about that hack earlier after spending several hours testing different addons to finally get one that worked. :--)

On 12/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, Zollex said:

I found out that I can't write on facebook if I use a bluetooth wireless keyboard.

Interesting. I thought it had to do with tweaks I had made, but it seems to me you are right: Logitech wireless keyboard also fails to enter input into FB in SP52 (mouse is ok). 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, RamonUn said:

@roytam1

I made a fork of your GreenPad's version, the source is here: https://github.com/RamonUnch/GreenPad

No Win32s version yet though (I have no Win32s environment yet).

Also, thanks a lot for your browsers builds, I use them all the time (for now IceApe-UPX is my main browser, but I do use others too).

OT:

I made some updates on both libchardet and GreenPad, you may have a look :)

6 hours ago, roytam1 said:

OT:

I made some updates on both libchardet and GreenPad, you may have a look :)

I feel IceApe latest version even faster on Win7 Ultimate amd64 Ryzen 5 3500u 6gb of RAM. Thanks Roytam! I hope there are new possibilities in web compatibility in the future in UXP in general, so certain usecases are fit and i'm able to not use edge in some few moments. But i'm very satisfied with the suite.

Again, my thanks and warm compliments for your skills and disciplined efforts for the community.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!
I'm just trying out some new browser options, because I fear that my old faithful Firefox 52 ESR is getting near the end of its usability now.
I've tried Arcticfoxie's version of 360Chrome, which looks promising, but as someone who has generally always used Firefox, I wanted to try some of the offerings here.
I first tried the latest version of Serpent, which I was told some time ago is closest to Firefox, although it's now being discontinued I gather.
I also tried the latest New Moon.
They both run fine, but they both have the same problem.
On virtually every website, I get this -

Image1.thumb.jpg.881952fbe04d568ec8477390eae3ea6c.jpg

Something is obviously fundamentally wrong somewhere, unless I'm missing something really obvious!
I can override the warning on some sites (but not all) and the sites then load, but surely this shouldn't be happening?
:dubbio:

50 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!
I'm just trying out some new browser options, because I fear that my old faithful Firefox 52 ESR is getting near the end of its usability now.
I've tried Arcticfoxie's version of 360Chrome, which looks promising, but as someone who has generally always used Firefox, I wanted to try some of the offerings here.
I first tried the latest version of Serpent, which I was told some time ago is closest to Firefox, although it's now being discontinued I gather.
I also tried the latest New Moon.
They both run fine, but they both have the same problem.
On virtually every website, I get this -

Image1.thumb.jpg.881952fbe04d568ec8477390eae3ea6c.jpg

Something is obviously fundamentally wrong somewhere, unless I'm missing something really obvious!
I can override the warning on some sites (but not all) and the sites then load, but surely this shouldn't be happening?
:dubbio:

I think you have a broken cert store