My Browser Builds (Part 3)

On 12/23/2021 at 3:22 AM, msfntor said:

So I'm stick with Basilisk/Serpent/Moebius 55 build from 20210130.
And now, @roytam1 quotes ArcticFox  build from "20210130" that "the last version of Arcticfox that still has the always-on status bar"

So what is the common denominator for these two browsers, that makes these builds work better than the most recent builds, please? Or rather, what is the common denominator that makes all subsequent builds work worse?

The fact that the ArcticFox always-on status bar disappeared at the same time that Serpent 55 slowed down is pure coincidence! There is no "common denominator" between Serpent 55 and ArcticFox. They are based on completely different Firefox forks and are getting different updates.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:22 AM, msfntor said:

@roytam1, could you review the latest code changes of new latest Basilisk MOEBIUS (Serpent 55) from 20210327, Win32: http://o.rthost.win/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20210327-2b3213dec-xpmod.7z
I find it less responsive (on all websites) than all previous versions of Serpent 55. By measuring the page speed with app.telemetry Page Speed Monitor extension: there is the problem of larger values for App cache, DNS lookup, TCP connection, then onload event (Page fully loaded...) also becomes longer.

Ah, whatta team; here are the Serpent 55 changes between the 202010130 and 20210327 builds, according to @roytam1 himself:

image.thumb.png.c437152206d603fa82b12dc0867a0958.png

(Snipped from "My browser builds, part 2" since MSFN won't let me multi-quote a post from a closed thread, even to reply in an open one)

I doubt updating the Twemoji font had any effect, and the first change would only affect the about:support page. The third is the "security" update, but it looks to me like all that was updated was: time zones, top level domains, "pinned" public keys for a few Web sites, and a preloaded list of sites with HTTP strict transport security (which converts http: requests to https: requests on those sites).

Checking github.com, I also see a couple of minor changes: one affects WebRTC, which I doubt you're using; the other appears to affect how the "stop loading" button works.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how any of those changes would affect the browser's performance noticeably.

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest New Moon 27 20211225 builds

On 12/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, IXOYE said:

Hi

I'm surprised you're leaving out on soggi.org - tools "Iceape-upx (Suite)" which is a construction that also works very well and has the advantage of integrating "Mail".:o

There is also Arcticfox, the New Moon 27 clone that allows you to add the add-ons planned for Pale Moon, without any modification of the Arcticfox browser

That's because I don't know all the builds and their derivation, maybe they will be added in the future.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:43 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Speaking of Arcticfox, when did it lose the always-on status bar?

What is the always-on status bar? Do you mean that the status bar is always shown? That's also important to me.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

1 hour ago, soggi said:

What is the always-on status bar? Do you mean that the status bar is always shown? That's also important to me.

The most recent Arcticfox has no status bar.  I didn't see any even when hovering over a link.  Previous Arcticfox versions had the status bar always shown.  The latest doesn't have any status bar.  None at all.  Not even on hover.

So, i got myself Telegram yesterday.

Obviously, one of the first things to try was using it on my PC through their web interface, but none of the browsers i tried was able to load it.

I can login, but afterwards all i get is a blank page split in two.

Is there any browser for XP (with a non-SSE2 build) able to run that properly?

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The most recent Arcticfox has no status bar.  I didn't see any even when hovering over a link.  Previous Arcticfox versions had the status bar always shown.  The latest doesn't have any status bar.  None at all.  Not even on hover.

I haven't used Arcticfox, but try this:

Enter the customization mode (right-click any toolbar, select customize), then "Add new toolbar", then drag the "Status text" element to that toolbar you just created.

23 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

I haven't used Arcticfox, but try this:

Enter the customization mode (right-click any toolbar, select customize), then "Add new toolbar", then drag the "Status text" element to that toolbar you just created.

That "might" work, haven't tried it.

But I don't see that as the real solution, I think the status bar disappearing was unintentional and therefor a "bug".

I feel that the default status bar needs returned, not "replaced" with a "new toolbar".

Kind of like "replacing" the IE desktop icon on XP with a "shortcut", the shortcut doesn't have the same context menu as the "real" IE desktop icon.

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

you may try with https://web.telegram.org/z/

This worked (in St52 and MyPal), thanks!

And the menu there has this link https://web.telegram.org/?legacy=1     which looks like it could work even in NM27, but the part that checks the security code seems to be failing...

Here is the error:

M5v3FkM.png

Are there other versions of the web interface? Any list of them all?

Edited by RainyShadow

2 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

This worked (in St52 and MyPal), thanks!

And the menu there has this link https://web.telegram.org/?legacy=1     which looks like it could work even in NM27, but the part that checks the security code seems to be failing...

Here is the error:

Hide contents

M5v3FkM.png

Are there other versions of the web interface? Any list of them all?

there is 3 telegram web interface, /k/, /z/, and legacy(which will be retired soon)

On 12/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Uuh...that's ugly. As said above, the status bar is also important to me. I need it for add-ons (and their functionality) and to verify the URL of a link by hovering it! In my opinion removing the status bar is very idiotic...I noticed this many years ago in some FF version and just shook my head...

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

Just interested in what Roytam1 is considering, now that Moon-Matt are cancelling Basilisk.  Would anyone here be interested in taking it over?

I use Basilisk as a WebRTC application for work.  Perhaps I should consider moving to Serpent 52, even though I'm on Windows 8.

23 minutes ago, Dibya said:

is  the Basilisk is hit by the NSS3 memory corruption exploit?

You beat me to it ... was going to ask this very question. I'm almost certain FF52.9.1 and 45ESR are vulnerable. I've stopped using them and wonder if @roytam1 can fix this in St52 and 55.
I have toggled:

javascript.options.shared_memory to (false)

javascript.options.asmjs to (false)

....:unsure: