My Browser Builds (Part 3)

12 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Not sure if it isn't just my bloated profile, but the last build of NM27 behaves kind of like St52, and not in a good way. Too often the browser gets stuck using all available CPU doing whatever.

I went back to the previous build and it was fine

Then i updated again to the last build, it is better now, but still (sometimes) there are those moments with non-responsive UI and 100% CPU usage.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with the latest NM27 build?

it is hard to say if your profile has loads of extensions. please try with a clean profile and adding back extensions one by one and test if there is an extension that is causing an unresponsive glitch.

3 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

it is hard to say if your profile has loads of extensions. please try with a clean profile and adding back extensions one by one and test if there is an extension that is causing an unresponsive glitch.

The same thing is happening here with 52, even with a new profile and no addons. It only started in the last month or so. The browser begins sticking and slowing down after using certain websites like Twitter or Hotmail. Tried 28 New Moon with similar results. Interestingly, 55 basilisk still works like a charm so I find myself using that more often now.

35 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

slowing down after using certain websites like Twitter or Hotmail

yeah because these websites trends to use lots of events and workers in background, that is the thing I can't have much to do with.

35 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

55 basilisk still works like a charm

hope I can have some more time to port some UXP features to moebius, but don't hold your breath on it.

Edited by roytam1

1 minute ago, roytam1 said:

yeah because these websites trends to use lots of events and workers in background, that the thing I can't have much to do with.

Not saying it's anything that you did, most likely it came from a change from the PM team since it just started recently and 55 and 45 still work great on these sites. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to pin down the exact week that it began and let you know.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:58 PM, msfntor said:

Hmm.. Thank you very much - not only  for this: I've noexecute on AlwaysOff already! So no more DEP (but on "System" process have DEP always, see this in Process Hacker). 

After restart of Windows, RAM used: 281 MB (before:288 to 289 MB)... then after little time, RAM used: 278, 279, 278 - voilà, 10 MB of gain, saving of memory! 

Responsiveness of my Windows has increased again, surely! :cheerleader:

DEP on AlwaysOff: RAM used has 13 MB of gain!

Big correction for the result of my RAM used after changing the DEP boot option to AlwaysOff: after 2 days, my Windows, without any further intervention from me, increased the gain after this operation, being another 3 MB less! So now, after restarting Windows, the cumulative gain is 13 MB! RAM used: 275 MB/3071 MB (before this change: 288 MB). (to get this result, you have to wait for about 2 minutes, so that this result stabilizes).:cheerleader:
Download Core Temp 1.11 to see this in your System Tray.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, Mathwiz said:

So let's try Serpent 52. The SSUAO (courtesy @VistaLover) is

general.useragent.override.addons.basilisk-browser.org;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.8 Firefox/68.0 Basilisk/52.9.2021.07.19

Now, go to the Basilisk add-on site above and you'll have the "Install Now" button.

The above were instructions for spoofing an "official" Basilisk version, which is a 64-bit app. As you can see I also spoofed Windows 8.1 (NT 6.3) as is my custom, although MCP should be OK with any Windows version from 7 (NT 6.1) on.

It occurred to me, though, that MCP might try adding some JavaScript to their add-ons sites in order to foil XPers like most of us. If that happens, you may need to set a couple more prefs:

general.oscpu.override;Windows 6.3; Win64; x64
general.platform.override;Win64

These spoof the same Windows version in a couple of old JavaScript functions. (The functions have been deprecated but Basilisk / Serpent still support them, so MCP might well use them.) Replace "6.3" with the Windows version of your choice (but at least 6.1) in both the user-agent and "OSCPU" overrides.

14 hours ago, roytam1 said:

hope I can have some more time to port some UXP features to moebius, but don't hold your breath on it.

That would be nice if you could. The 55 version works really well and most sites still render properly but a few like Google email no longer do. It will probably get worse over time since these are old browsers. For some reason JustOff's polyfill addon stopped working recently too.

18 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What is "polyfill"?  I've seen tons of references to it and I really am clueless (I abandoned Mozilla-based and awaiting patiently for Mypal 2.0), what is it?

It's an addon to render Google's PIA web components, at least for two sites, github and gitlab. Firefox 63 and newer have it built in but it's unlikely to be ported to these older versions so addons will have to be written on a site by site basis by the looks of it.

https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill

9 hours ago, DanR20 said:

The 55 version works really well and most sites still render properly but a few like Google email no longer do.... For some reason JustOff's polyfill addon stopped working recently too.

I was never able to get the polyfill add-on to work quite right on Serpent 55. Latest version works on 52 (except not in multiprocess mode). The kludge I've been using is a "classic" add-on called "Open With" that lets you open links with other browsers. I set up a command to open links in St 52 using a profile set to single-process mode. It's not ideal - I have to right-click and select the single-process mode command manually - but it's still way better than keeping two browser windows open and copying links between them! I barely know any Javascript and add-on programming; certainly not enough to reprogram the add-on to parse the link and select the correct command automatically.

I do wish we could get some UXP enhancements ported to 55. Perhaps some talented programmers could pick up that project! 52 supports container tabs, but not the container tab add-on that automatically opens sites in the desired container. It's a WebExtension add-on that requires at least FF 53.

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What is "polyfill"? 

As i understand it, it is some sort of a Javascript library that provides some specific functions.

The one you hear about in here is the addon by JustOff to substitute the missing browser capabilities needed for Github and Gitlab - https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- find out for yourself

BTW thx for notification @IXOYE!

--------------------------------

@roytam1, I had the time to test the latest builds with Matomo and the Matomo demo page (demo.matomo.cloud) has also been updated to the latest version 4.6.x. Firefox 45ESR 20211218 and New Moon 28 20211218 works great with Matomo, but New Moon 27 20211218 doesn't. Is it possible to let NM27 work again with Matomo? Let me know, if you need any further information!

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

2 hours ago, soggi said:

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- find out for yourself

BTW thx for notification @IXOYE!

Hi

I'm surprised you're leaving out on soggi.org - tools "Iceape-upx (Suite)" which is a construction that also works very well and has the advantage of integrating "Mail".:o

There is also Arcticfox, the New Moon 27 clone that allows you to add the add-ons planned for Pale Moon, without any modification of the Arcticfox browser