My Browser Builds (Part 3)

On 11/30/2021 at 3:44 AM, chermany4ever said:

Hi guys. I've been using Serpent / Basilisk for a while and it works pretty good. Thanks roytam1!!!

I wanted to ask you what is the proper way to upgrade to the latest version. Is it to unzip the new basilisk.exe and paste it on top of the old one? I would like to be able to keep the settings, addons, etc. Thanks in advance.

I'm using New Moon 27, but the procedure should be the same.

After I downloaded the latest version I close the browser, delete the old "New Moon old" folder, rename the actually used program folder to "New Moon old", unzip the new version to "New Moon" and test it.

If there is a serious issue, I rename the latest version to "New Moon new", rename the former back to "New Moon" and report the issue to @roytam1 here in this thread.

All settings, add-ons and so on are not saved to the program directory - so it is safe. I would always keep the second last version for troubleshooting, so you can move back very fast.

Keep in mind this software is in alpha/beta status!

BTW if you want to backup your profile, you can use MozBackup!

Edit:
some corrections, some additions, more structure (paragraphs)

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

Sorry, I have to double post...

@roytam1 I updated the Matomo installation on my webspace to the latest version (4.6.0/4.6.1) and now the screen is nearly empty in latest New Moon 27.

The demo site (demo.matomo.cloud) is still at version 4.5.0 at the momnt but will be updated soon (i think) and maybe so you can track down the issue!? Changelog for 4.6.0 can be found under matomo.org/changelog/matomo-4-6-0/ - maybe this is caused by the move from AngularJS to Vue JS?

Please let me know, if there is any possibility to make it work again as this is one of my mainly used web tools.

Edit: BTW works flawlessly with Apple Safari 15 on Apple iOS 15.1 - so it's not a basic problem.

thanks in advance and
kind regards
soggi

Matomo.png

Edited by soggi

Anyone else having issues after/while browsing this page in NM27? - https://www.vivacom.bg/web/catalog/mobile_services/

On my normal profile the text is oversized and all over the place, after flipping a few pages the browser crashes.

In a clean profile it looks fine, but i got a crash when i was closing the browser.

Works fine in Serpent52 and MyPal-SSE

[edit]

They chaged the page already, no need to test anymore, thanks everyone.

Edited by RainyShadow

3 hours ago, soggi said:

maybe this is caused by the move from AngularJS to Vue JS?

yeah if they're using newer Vue JS, it has some javascript syntax that cannot be parsed by goanna3 javascript engine.

13 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

after flipping a few pages the browser crashes.

In a clean profile it looks fine, but i got a crash when i was closing the browser.

try disabling `dom.workers.enabled` in about:config

15 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

why i can't install MTube extension to try it in my New Moon 28.10.4a1 (2021-08-13)

What error(s) do you get? Have you tried first downloading the XPI to disk and then installing from file?
Upon reading the description of this extension, you actually don't need it per se... ;)
All it does is redirect to mobile youtube :sneaky:, the same can be accomplished by a SSUAO in your NM28 copy:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.2; SAMSUNG SM-A500FU Build/LRX22G) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Gecko/20111216 Firefox/9.0 Fennec/9.0

@Rod Steel

If you insist on installing MTube:

1. Load (in NM28) its main installation page:
https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozilla-Extensions/muTube/
2. Place your cersor on the blue "Install MTube v1.2" button
3. Right-click, select "Save Link as"...
4. You should now have on disk file "{35FF1267-2C7D-5FA8-876D-4EDFC0CB89FB}.xpi";
the string is the extension's ID; for brevity, rename file to "MTube-v1.2-pm.xpi"
5. Extract; delete directory "META-INF"
6. In a proper text editor, open file "install.rdf" and browse to the "Pale Moon" block:

<!-- Pale Moon -->
  <em:targetApplication>
   <Description>
    <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
    <em:minVersion>28.*</em:minVersion>

7. Change the value of minVersion from 28.* to 28.10.4a1, then save your changes
8. Rezip (e.g. with WinRAR) the contents of your working directory [MTube-v1.2-pm] to file "MTube-v1.2-nm28.xpi"
9. Open about:addons in NM28, drag and drop file "MTube-v1.2-nm28.xpi"
10. You should now get a prompt (pop-up window) to install...

Disclaimer: Haven't tested whether the extension itself works as planned post install, especially considering you're running a NM28 version from last August; YMMV...

19 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

Question - why i can't install Mtube extension to try it in my New Moon 28.10.4a1 (2021-08-13) ?

The min version of Pale Moon it targets is specified as 28.*. There shouldn't be an asterisk here and considering the simplicity of the extension, it should probably be 25.0 (first Pale Moon version with its distinct application GUID).

It also targets Firefox's GUID, targetting min version 50.0, would also probably work with much older version.

What it does can be accomplished with a simple user script (GreaseMonkey for Pale Moon required). It tells YouTube through parameters passed via URL to enable mobile version, so no user agent spoofing required.

Edited by UCyborg

17 hours ago, roytam1 said:
21 hours ago, soggi said:

maybe this is caused by the move from AngularJS to Vue JS?

yeah if they're using newer Vue JS, it has some javascript syntax that cannot be parsed by goanna3 javascript engine.

Does it mean that there is no chance to make it work or what is the conclusion?

BTW I hate it, if a project always has to use the latest "hot s***" I was really fine with Matomo (formerly Piwik) 3.x.x, but they always move on with no regard. Don't get me wrong, Matomo is a great OSS tool and I really appreciate that people invest their (free) time into the project.

17 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Anyone else having issues after/while browsing this page in NM27? - https://www.vivacom.bg/web/catalog/mobile_services/

New Moon 27 doesn't crash here, just shows an empty page with some text at the end - see screenshot below.

kind regards
soggi

vivacom.png

Edited by soggi

1 hour ago, soggi said:

New Moon 27 doesn't crash here, just shows an empty page with some text at the end - see screenshot below.

they've just updated their framework code to be goanna3 unfriendly