My Browser Builds (Part 3)

1 hour ago, modnar said:

Is https://www.vsynctester.com/ of any importance?

Depends on what you use your comptuer for.

Important to me for my usage?  Nope.

Important to a "gamer" and his/her usage?  Yep.

Important to somebody that watches "tv" on their computer instead of on a "tv"?  Yep.

Important to somebody that uses computer for news and research?  Nope.

And it's technically more of a test for your graphics capabilities than it is for your browser.

My computer has five widescreen monitors.

That "test" shows gray for 3 of my 5.  But flashes between red and cyan on 2 of my 5 (but I would expect it to also as those two monitors run off of USB 2.0 and are converted to VGA).

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:28 AM, baluw said:

Sure will - good to know such a website exists - it's been 10 minutes since I've seen this and I've already found some old-but-gold software that I didn't know I needed yet... :D

That's great and it corresponds with the intent of my website! :)

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

7 hours ago, S75 said:

Hello. How i can add web serch engine in Serpent aka Basilisk? Standard method didn't work.

I use this: http://ready.to/search/en/

Then click on the search bar to add the preset. The functionality should be built-in. In case this website closes.

9 hours ago, modnar said:

Is https://www.vsynctester.com/

of any importance?

Do you play games or watch videos in the browser? It only tests the browser. Other programs can get v-sync easily, and usually have it working by default. A web browser can't deliver quality video because it does multiple tasks simultaneously like a swiss army knife, composits text and tables, and runs CPU intensive scripts. This a non-issue with reading text where you don't scroll pages sideways.

My CPU core gets maxed out with the test. 51 fps in New Moon 28 and 34 fps in Serpent. I do see tearing on the scrolling photograph. Says that "Firefox is hopelessly broken". It can't do one scrolling photograph and the graph!

15 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Important to somebody that watches "tv" on their computer instead of on a "tv"?  Yep.

As it happens, I do watch TV on my computer instead of a TV. But I don't use a Web browser to do it! Windows (7) Media Center does the "TV" (and "DVR" and "DVD player") jobs just fine.

Hey Roytam1 and all, i'm just here to thank you for iceape-uxp for windows. I love seamonkey/mozilla suite, but i love uxp. It is so faster than palememe, i love its freedom and privacy, security, and iceape particularly is even as fast as fat boy netscape-wannabe. I love it is so more netscape than it as it has an (excellent) email client and is a full suite. Absolutely love the low memory footprint as well, as i plan on staying on windows 7 as my desktop operating system until i die.

Is anyone actually using this browser on win 7? i see many xp users into these uxp builds but no idea how much win7/2k/9x users are into those.., I think it fits perfectly well and will be one of my alternative software to survive the slow and steady incompatibility apocalypse we will see, along with some tweaks and maybe some kind of custom kernel if any developer steps up for all of us and himself in the future. I'm never going to windows 8+ and by no nightmare in hell will be using a chrome-based browser, except when i need it. i will actually let 360chrome from owl as an reserve browser just for that.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

41 minutes ago, Eddie Phizika said:

Hey Roytam1 and all, i'm just here to thank you for iceape-uxp for windows.

41 minutes ago, Eddie Phizika said:

Is anyone actually using this browser on win 7?

IceApe is pinned to my Win 7 taskbar now. After installing JustOff's wc-polyfill add-on, it's now my go-to browser for GitHub.com and GitLab.com.

45 minutes ago, Eddie Phizika said:

I'm never going to windows 8+ and by no nightmare in hell will be using a chrome-based browser, except when i need it. i will actually let 360chrome from owl as an reserve browser just for that.

I have 360EE (@Notheretoplaygames's "unGoogled" version) pinned as well. Never say never though; Win 8.1 (with the Classic Start Menu app) may be our last chance to hold out against the dreaded Win 10+!

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

IceApe is pinned to my Win 7 taskbar now. After installing JustOff's wc-polyfill add-on, it's now my go-to browser for GitHub.com and GitLab.com.

I have 360EE (@Notheretoplaygames's "unGoogled" version) pinned as well. Never say never though; Win 8.1 (with the Classic Start Menu app) may be our last chance to hold out against the dreaded Win 10+!

Do you expect the win7 community will not do the same effort/be as united as the xp/2k community is? I'm quite optimistic (maybe naively as naive as i'm myself) because of our huge market share and companies who daily use win7 will not change sides. How do you view the future and possibilities for us?

Edited by Eddie Phizika

6 hours ago, Eddie Phizika said:

Do you expect the win7 community will not do the same effort/be as united as the xp/2k community is?

I kinda don't see that happening but only time will tell.

Strictly my view, but since you asked...

The XP Die-Hards are "book-ended" by two of the absolute worst operating systems Microsoft has ever released  --  Windows Me and Windows Vista.

I know we have some very respectable Vista users so please don't shoot the messenger and it is "opinion" (popular opinion, but opinion nonetheless)  --
     https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575332/the-worst-version-of-windows-ever-released.html
     https://www.howtogeek.com/720504/the-6-worst-versions-of-windows-ranked/
     https://www.pcworld.com/article/528411/worst_operating_system.html
     https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hated-windows-versions/

I can only speak for myself and others are welcome to chime in to agree or disagree.
The way that I see it, most XP Die-Hards are die-hards because they evolved into it, not because their first computer ran XP and they just resist change.
We remember Windows 3.1, we remember Windows 95, we remember Windows NT, we remember Windows 98, we remember Windows 2000.
We witnessed the "marketing lies" of Windows Me and Vista.
We witnessed Microsoft admit how "terrible" Vista was that they gave away free "upgrades" to XP to people that were trying to return brand new computers with immense hatred for Vista instability that came with that new computer.
We witnessed driver support (primarily wireless printers) with 10 - that repeated each and every "update Tuesday" for 4 to 6 months after "upgrading" to 10.

XP Die-Hards weren't "born", we were kinda "created through an evolutionary process".
I don't see that "evolution" in the Win7 community, that community (from my experience) "loves" Win10 and is "looking forward" to 11.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames